USF Basketball at Alabama

Fold FB Invest in BB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  822
  • Days Won:  0

On the contrary, we actually didn't play too badly. We shot the ball well (both in three points and Field goal percentage). What killed us was free throws (our free throw percentage was lower than both FG% and Three Point %!!), turnovers, and early foul trouble.

Edited by Sipher

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Still feel very good about this team. Beat Detroit!

We will, but we may not see it happen. It's Saturday at 3:00 but there doesn't appear to be any TV for it

It's on espn3 so you can watch it through there

Where are you seeing that??? USF schedule and ESPN3 are not showing this.

Saturday, December 6, 3:00 PM on ESFC, ESP(N)3

Google:   south florida basketball schedule

http://www.gousfbulls.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=36688&SPID=2923

That's new.  When i copied and pasted that page a couple weeks ago, it was blank.

Yay!

I am not as familiar with all the new players yet, but here are a few thoughts:

• Cory Allen, Jr. is undersized to play the two, but has found away to get shots (not all of them good)
  • Perry need to play with his back to the basket. His shot selection off the dribble is terrible - too many bricks to count
  • Collins looks like he is still playing in Heath's system and picks up his dribble way to often but has managed to a 2.7:1 assist to turnover ratio
  • Morillo can flat out shoot it -  the pull up 3 on the fast break was not the shot you want but he showed alot of confidence in it and he hit it - he needs to be third scorer this team relies on. Better suited to play the two but will have to defend alot of bigger three's due to Allen playing the two. He's excellent on the defensive boards which this team needs.
  • Zeigler reminds me of a smaller version of Fitz during his freshman year - a bit rigid
  • Guerrero is terrible - he lacks lateral quickness and cannot defend
  • Cousins shows potential but his foul trouble is from being out of position defensively and having to bail out his teammates when their player goes by or gets an offensive rebound
The team is fun to watch but they are going to get killed on the boards come conference play. They currently rank 171 out of 345 in rebound differential but expect that to worsen once conference play begins. Turnovers with this many new players and style of offense are going to happen early, but the team plays with alot of energy and hustle. I can live with those growing pains with the team as engaged as it.

Guerrero terrible but making excuses for Cousins??

Agree. Guerrero >>>>> Cousins

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,967
  • Days Won:  436

They lost!  Win or go home.

They lost AND went home ....

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Think everyone needs to put this into perspective. Obviously they didn't play good last night, but its a part of growing pains and if it wasn't for foul trouble we probably make it really close. I think it was a lack of depth that showed against team that is has a good shot to make the NCAA tournament. That's the difference between a team on year 1 of a coach and a team on year 5 with a coach.

Yep, depth is the glaring weakness for us IMO. I expect our conference foes to try & exploit it by doing the same as 'bama--get us in early foul trouble. Turnovers & FT % can be improved a little easier, but changing our strategy to avoid foul trouble means reducing the scrappiness & energy that makes this team so entertaining and hopeful. Gonna be interesting...

Edited by raptorcj

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

Think everyone needs to put this into perspective. Obviously they didn't play good last night, but its a part of growing pains and if it wasn't for foul trouble we probably make it really close. I think it was a lack of depth that showed against team that is has a good shot to make the NCAA tournament. That's the difference between a team on year 1 of a coach and a team on year 5 with a coach.

Yep, depth is the glaring weakness for us IMO. I expect our conference foes to try & exploit it by doing the same as 'bama--get us in early foul trouble. Turnovers & FT % can be improved a little easier, but changing our strategy to avoid foul trouble means reducing the scrappiness & energy that makes this team so entertaining and hopeful. Gonna be interesting...

You can be scrappy and have tons of energy, just have to play smart and learn to defend without fouling. Something a lot of kids don't have to learn until college level. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Guerrero has good foot work in the post and seems to instinctively know where to go on the court in pick and roll situations, or when defenders collapse on dribble penetration. He moves well without the ball. He played really well off of Mercurius when Mercurius was attacking the basket late in the first half and in the second half. If the guard play improves, I think he can turn into a 10-15 ppg big for us.

Cousins is a turnover waiting to happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come off the bench once Guerrero gets more comfortable.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Still feel very good about this team. Beat Detroit!

We will, but we may not see it happen. It's Saturday at 3:00 but there doesn't appear to be any TV for it
It's on espn3 so you can watch it through there
Where are you seeing that??? USF schedule and ESPN3 are not showing this.

Saturday, December 6, 3:00 PM on ESFC, ESP(N)3

Google: south florida basketball schedule

http://www.gousfbulls.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=36688&SPID=2923

That's new. When i copied and pasted that page a couple weeks ago, it was blank.

Yay!

Yes that is new and I am glad to be able to see the game (with one eye on my iPhone and one eye on my son's game).

You can be scrappy and have tons of energy, just have to play smart and learn to defend without fouling. Something a lot of kids don't have to learn until college level. 

This was me. I never did learn to defend without fouling. Had a sweet hook shot though

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

This is an exciting team to watch. Even when they lose. You can just feel the potential. Unlike the CWT experiment.

• Upvote 1