Taggert has 1 more year

Skingraft

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

"won't produce better results"   ...unless it really IS about execution. I'm personally on the fence for blame, I don't see one solid thing I can put a finger on, but some talented senior leaders would definitely help. I don't know what to think about next year's chances.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

We lose Reiter, Williams, Eatmon, McFarland, Welch and Davis.

The OL will be green but those 3 have played a lot but not terribly well.

McFarland will be a loss, but man he does flat out drop a ball for first down every game.

Welch, well he's been hands of stone for most of his career, although a nice catch today.

Davis will be missed. But part of me wonders if this won't be addition by subtraction. A senior getting losing his cool and getting ejected is not exactly writing leadership books.

None of the above is insurmountable. If we can somehow get something out of the QB position. Playing 10 v 11 on offense just doesn't seem to be working out for us.

We lose LT, C, RG, #1 WR, #2 TE (#1 pass catching TE), #2 WR, #1 and #2 DT's, #1 LB, #1 CB. That is a lot of talent and experience we wont have next year. We will be just as bad if not worse.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

That's a lot of #1 and #2 but the actual production is not that impressive. I addressed the offense above. Of the defense losing Dunkley and Cliett ddoesn't scare me much. Dunkley was a stop gap who played 1 year over there. Cliett has shown the same flashes as a freshman but has never grown.

Chandler and Watson do concern me. However, Calloway and Senat have been playing tons and well.

You did not mention Eric Lee but losing him will hurt too.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,828
  • Days Won:  6

^I see maybe half of those as true losses where there isn't someone to step in and contribute. Reiter hurts on the line but we have some talented tackles and guards here that are young(including 1 who is transferring from Stanford and is eligible next year)..

Cliet and Chandler hurt but there is talent behind them(whether that talent is going to amount to as much as then I don't know)

Davis has had a great career at USF but checks out mentally a lot. Like someone else posted as far as in the locker room goes it could be addition by subtraction for all we know.

As for our #1 CB? Given its his first year at the position it's not as big of a loss as you are making it out to be, I'll miss him more at return man to be honest.

I count 4 that we will miss.. Davis(production), Reiter, Cliet and Chandler. The rest are replaceable.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Sanjay brings up a good point IMO. Players haven't really developed much under Taggart, and that worries me more than anything else about our potential to emerge from this fog. All the best recruits in the conference won't help us at all if they don't grow, [edit] and that truly is squarely on the coaches.

Edited by raptorcj

Eric Lee is a JR. 

What your missing isn't that they haven't been overly productive, its the experience they have. Our team is going to be so green next year that we will lose games just based on inexperience. Add to that our coaching staff hasn't proved that its capable of developing a player in 2 years, it only compounds the issue of the SR's leaving. So saying players are replaceable is nothing but laughable at this point because Taggart hasn't shown an ounce of major improvement with talented experienced upperclassmen. 

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

The basis for comparison for the team should really be Holtz' last year, not Taggart's 2013. Have we improved relative to that? Not even close.

Not sure I get that. The 2012 team went 3-9 with 20 seniors on the 2deep. And when BJ went down they couldn't score.

We're on the complete opposite end now for experience and have 3 wins.

2012 was a horrible year due to no defense. When we had BJ playing our offense averaged 26.5 PPG, while our defense averaged 28.6 PPG. Holtz was a crap coach, but at least we could score points.

We were 3-9 with 20 seniors on the 2 deep. With a QB that has hung on an NFl practice squad for 2 years. How is comparing that team to this one a reasonable comparison?

4 of those 9 losses were by 1 score. . The offense can do only so much with an inept DC. And Holtz's offense is on fire this year too, he went and got a transfer QB. What has cwt done? The opposite that Holtz did. Put his eggs in a true sophomore's hands. His offense is 116th in points vs 11. Didn't go after a vet transfer. Put in a suspect offensive scheme. So this year, Holtz's offense is again carrying a suspect defensive scheme and CWT appears to have the opposite issue. But in Holtz's case, it's working.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,376
  • Days Won:  2

Taggarts best win ever was a close win over a mediocre Kentucky team.

He was a terrible hire.

Next year we will suck and have even less people in the stands.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,472
  • Days Won:  14

So next year we win 4 games... got it. 

By 2020 we will finally get "there" - a 10-win season. 

We also lose Kloss. That is huge considering how poor our offensive production has been we need all the FG's we can get.