Taggert has 1 more year

Skingraft

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,472
  • Days Won:  14

I would love to play boring football as a top 20 team going to the biggest bowl games every year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

A .500 season after 4 years of 11+ wins, 3 division titles, 2 conference titles, a rose bowl win and an orange bowl win is proof that the offense can't work at Stanford?

Offense has declined significantly since Harbaugh left and that is undeniable. In the past 3 seasons they ranked 70th, 48th, and 95th. They have ranked in the top 11 in defense each of the last 3 years. So yes you can get by with an ineffective offense if your defense is lights out. Stanford's is. Ours isn't.

Offensive rankings are deceptive. Stanford doesnt run an Air Raid or Spread offense. They will never light up the board. Their offense isnt meant to climb the ladder. Neither is ours. That is ok. I dont care about being at the top of the rankings, just win the games. If that means we rank int he triple digits, so be it. Just get to double digits in the category that matters, Ws. Stanford has been getting Ws. We have not. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

A .500 season after 4 years of 11+ wins, 3 division titles, 2 conference titles, a rose bowl win and an orange bowl win is proof that the offense can't work at Stanford?

Offense has declined significantly since Harbaugh left and that is undeniable. In the past 3 seasons they ranked 70th, 48th, and 95th. They have ranked in the top 11 in defense each of the last 3 years. So yes you can get by with an ineffective offense if your defense is lights out. Stanford's is. Ours isn't.

Offensive rankings are deceptive. Stanford doesnt run an Air Raid or Spread offense. They will never light up the board. Their offense isnt meant to climb the ladder. Neither is ours. That is ok. I dont care about being at the top of the rankings, just win the games. If that means we rank int he triple digits, so be it. Just get to double digits in the category that matters, Ws. Stanford has been getting Ws. We have not. 

From 2009-2011 when they were title contenders they ranked 11th, 9th, and 7th in scoring offense. In essense "lighting up the board". In 2011 they scored 30+ in 12 games and had games of 65, 57, 56, 48, 45, and 44 twice. They implemented the NASCAR hurry up offense. Teams under Taggart have never ranked higher than 77th in offense in 5 seasons. After 2011 Stanford hasn't rated higher than 71st. Shafer at Syracuse in 2 seasons their best year offensively was 87th. Could it be that it wasn't the offensive scheme that Harbaugh was running as much as a great team he recruited from 2009-2011? Prior to 2009 his best offense was rated 67th. What year's did Andrew Luck play there again?

Edited by bullsfan1983
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

2009-2011

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,119

Preach on!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,472

Good discussion on VD5 podcast today. A lot of hope resting in the future because (in this order):

1. Harlan and new team. They get it, but they inherited one of the great dumpster fires in the history of all of athletics ever. It's going to take years, plural. But if you're like me and you believe our problem was always management and not football, then this new AD and his team are a blessing and absolutely the cure. 

2. This season is not over. Taking 2 of the next 3 would be a great shot in the arm, particularly if those 2 are SMU and UCF. 

3. The youth on this team. 7 of 9 leading tacklers on D will be back next year. Both of our most productive RBs are true freshmen. I hate excuses as much as the next guy but this is hard to argue with. 

4. The prospect of a solid senior QB transfer. This is purely strictly hypothetical, but that would be a tremendous boost to our game next season. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We have 9 leading tacklers? Where?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Good discussion on VD5 podcast today. A lot of hope resting in the future because (in this order):

1. Harlan and new team. They get it, but they inherited one of the great dumpster fires in the history of all of athletics ever. It's going to take years, plural. But if you're like me and you believe our problem was always management and not football, then this new AD and his team are a blessing and absolutely the cure. 

2. This season is not over. Taking 2 of the next 3 would be a great shot in the arm, particularly if those 2 are SMU and UCF. 

3. The youth on this team. 7 of 9 leading tacklers on D will be back next year. Both of our most productive RBs are true freshmen. I hate excuses as much as the next guy but this is hard to argue with. 

4. The prospect of a solid senior QB transfer. This is purely strictly hypothetical, but that would be a tremendous boost to our game next season. 

Good Lord, I thought the histrionics about Holtz was overboard but this blows that away ...

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Spoke with a dean who said that USF is being more than patient with Coach T and will give him plenty of time to build his program.

• Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  5,275
  • Days Won:  1

I highly doubt Willie gets canned before 2016 but the only 2 names I’ve heard that could get the job done here are Butch Davis and Calvin Magee. I’d prefer Magee since he was here during the Leavitt years and is a USF alumni. He is also an offensive minded coach and is part of the reason why Arizona and West Virginia are the offensive powerhouses they are today. Davis wouldn’t be bad either but the accusations from UNC are the biggest knock on him.

Some numbers from Arizona this year offensively.
Pass Offense 13th/121 313.9 YPG
Run offense 46th/121 191.3 YPG
Scoring Offense 21st/121 36.6 PPG

If we had numbers even close to this we would easily win 10+ game each year in this conference and with the rumors swirling that the Big 12 is looking to add 2-4 teams we have to show them we are serious and will be a great addition to their conference and I think Magee is the best option we have if we do fire Willie either this year or next year