Fire willie taggart

USFBULL2014

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think the off season moves will be just important to understanding what Taggart can do as his recruiting will be.  Will he make any changes on his coaching staff?  Will he make any changes to his philosophy?  I think those areas will be telling.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taggart get two more years even if we don't make a bowl game.  At best, if Taggart's recruits develop and turn into the quality football players that their recruiting rankings suggested, I don't expect the team to be a bowl team until 2016.  I don't see enough experienced talent coming back next year on offense to be much better than they were this year.  Way too many question marks.  I don't even expect them to be as good.

Team may not be good again next year, but I expect that we will finally start to see the signs that the team is improving and they should be pretty good in 2016.  

The funny thing about Taggart's comment about being in worse shape than he though.  Didn't Skip make a similar comment about Leavitt's players when he first got here?  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I think the off season moves will be just important to understanding what Taggart can do as his recruiting will be.  Will he make any changes on his coaching staff?  Will he make any changes to his philosophy?  I think those areas will be telling.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taggart get two more years even if we don't make a bowl game.  At best, if Taggart's recruits develop and turn into the quality football players that their recruiting rankings suggested, I don't expect the team to be a bowl team until 2016.  I don't see enough experienced talent coming back next year on offense to be much better than they were this year.  Way too many question marks.  I don't even expect them to be as good.

Team may not be good again next year, but I expect that we will finally start to see the signs that the team is improving and they should be pretty good in 2016.  

The funny thing about Taggart's comment about being in worse shape than he though.  Didn't Skip make a similar comment about Leavitt's players when he first got here?  

I think you might be right. Being somewhat competent on both sides of the ball seems like the next step before winning takes place. That should have been what happened this year at least with the offense. I thought the defense would take a big step back losing all of those players on D, but didn't know it would be as bad as it was. However, Taggart has playing AAC competition on his side so I still think we improve off of 4 wins, but at this point who knows.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,319
  • Days Won:  11

We are ranked #78 right now. Sure that'll change some... but amazing how poor game management and player development impacts recruiting...

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,812
  • Days Won:  3

******* Memphis has passed us by in conference realignment. It's time to go all in. Fire Taggart and announce OCS. Debt up to our eyeballs, but it's the only chance.

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

douggone.jpg

This
He coaches?
no, but he can't seem to pick them either
Which coaches has he hired, for all sports?

for football he hired both holtz and taggart

for basketball he hired heath

don't know about the other teams....but do you consider those all good hires? so he's what 1 out of 3?

He oversaw and funded the largest campus athletic building project at a D1 school in the previous 25 years. That is something probably one or two current ADs in the country have done.

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=3733

From a 2011. Article:

"Over the last 14 months, the University has undergone the single largest athletics construction project on a Division I campus in the last 25 years. The extraordinary development of the Athletics District – including the Frank Morsani Football Complex, the Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center, Corbett Soccer Stadium, new baseball and softball stadiums and a new dining hall now provide USF student-athletes and fans with as fine a group of facilities as there is in America. The $35 million renovation of the Sun Dome, which will re-open next spring, will complete the stunning transformation of the eastern quadrant of USF’s beautiful campus."

To put that in perspective, I've only heard of one other project like it since and it's going on now at Florida.

I find it dumb that people don't realize how hard an accomplishment this was for USF, or how great because just about every DW critic fails to mention it.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

douggone.jpg

This
He coaches?
no, but he can't seem to pick them either
Which coaches has he hired, for all sports?
for football he hired both holtz and taggart

for basketball he hired heath

don't know about the other teams....but do you consider those all good hires? so he's what 1 out of 3?

He oversaw and funded the largest campus athletic building project at a D1 school in the previous 25 years. That is something probably one or two current ADs in the country have done.http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=3733

From a 2011. Article:

"Over the last 14 months, the University has undergone the single largest athletics construction project on a Division I campus in the last 25 years. The extraordinary development of the Athletics District – including the Frank Morsani Football Complex, the Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center, Corbett Soccer Stadium, new baseball and softball stadiums and a new dining hall now provide USF student-athletes and fans with as fine a group of facilities as there is in America. The $35 million renovation of the Sun Dome, which will re-open next spring, will complete the stunning transformation of the eastern quadrant of USF’s beautiful campus."

To put that in perspective, I've only heard of one other project like it since and it's going on now at Florida.

I find it dumb that people don't realize how hard an accomplishment this was for USF, or how great because just about every DW critic fails to mention it.

So are you saying USF athletics - overall - was in better shape when he left than when he took it over?

When he arrived, the athletic department was at the level of 1970s/80s Sun Belt, which USF was a founding member in 1976. When he left, the athletic department had BCS/P5 class facilities pretty much across the board. Coaches leave, those facilities will be around for a couple decades, at least.

If you don't see that was the hard part, approving, fund raising, planning, etc. compared to hiring a coach. That if done wrong would mean unfinished or inadequate facilities, along with crippling debt, then you don't see much beyond a scoreboard. You shouldn't probably bother even thinking about such complex subjects.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,580
  • Days Won:  2

We are ranked #78 right now. Sure that'll change some... but amazing how poor game management and player development impacts recruiting...

You said a mouthful

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

Doug was great at spending money

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  980
  • Days Won:  2

The question should be....if you knew what you know today would you still hire Willie as the HC ?

I think the answer would be an overwhelming NO.

It's not really viable question until he's gone .... Should Va Tech have hired Beamer, Memphis Fuente? And I'm sure the haters will chime in now as to how they know how this movie ends but the realty is, nobody KNOWS yet.

Agree Triple, but it's okay to answer that question based on the body of work so far. Is 6-18 what Doug and Judy had in mind when they brought him in? I can't think so..

I guess this is the problem I have relating to all the hand wringing at this point in time. I like dealing with finished, or least nearly finished, products, not works in progress. If the question was more along the line of "Has CWT been a success here up to this point?", my answer would be no .... and I'm sure Doug and Judy's honest opinion would be the same ... but until he's given a decent opportunity to see if he can be a success, the question whether he should have been hired is up in the air.

Not debating whether he should/shouldn't have been hired, but today looking forward - is he the one to lead us building our program. Sure, give him another year but unless we see sound improvement we need to move on. We've already wasted years and regressed with previous regimes and I'm not certain the same isn't going on here.  What I see is an coach unwilling to adjust based on personnel and circumstance. Play a modified scheme that utilizes your players skills. I've seen a team that can't play a 4 quarters of inspired ball, can't tackle, receivers that can't run routes, can't catch. Lack of creativity, lack of game time and half time adjustments. Teaching, players getting better.  Coaching accountability.  Oh, the team is young...well, go watch Plant or Armwood play and they are well coached and play disciplined, fundamentally sound, inspired ball. Superior talent can hide inferior coaching so here's hoping he continues to recruit well.

My concern about giving him every opportunity to succeed here is based a lot on the recruiting. He and his staff have been proven to be good recruiters and I think that was the number one priority when he came in. He's a local guy with kind of the same feelings for the area as CJL had. From those aspects, I think he was the perfect hire following the guy who followed a legend here .... but the bottom line is winning games and if he can't get it done on the field like he was able to at WKU, we'll need to move on ... and that's the part that worries me, getting the right guy at that point where we'll be even worse off than when CWT was hired .... with less resources. 

I agree, good points.

Optimistically looking forward to see what 2015 brings.

Go Bulls !