• Content Count:  4,119
  • Days Won:  14

#DoSomethingIn2015OrLeaveTown

Edited by MaltLiquorBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,378
  • Days Won:  2

Year three and people are holding out for just six wins.

Usually you see some signs of turnaround at end of first year at worse maybe second year...Cwt isn't the answer. I wish he was but the proof is in the results.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,119
  • Days Won:  14

Year 3, and we are "cautiously optimistic" about FAMU. Scary.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

#DoSomethingIn2015OrLeaveTown

Sounds about right lol. Make or break year for CWT. The pressure is now on!! Hot seat season! 

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

douggone.jpg

This
He coaches?
no, but he can't seem to pick them either

Which coaches has he hired, for all sports?

for football he hired both holtz and taggart

for basketball he hired heath

don't know about the other teams....but do you consider those all good hires? so he's what 1 out of 3?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I don't see any good in firing Taggart now.

We are in a lower league and Taggart has shown he can recruit. Changing coaches will just mean we start the rebuilding process again. 

The recruiting class this year doesnt look real good so Taggart being a good recruiter is questionable. We know he is not a game coach and this is exactly what we need right now. With the talent level we have available there is no reason we should be in year 4 of a no bowl drought. Willie will get next year but I wouldn't be surmised if he is fired during the season if he gets to 7 losses or starts out 1-4 or worse.

He had a top 40 class after going 2-10. I don't think that's questionable. He was pulling in top 75 classes at WKU. That means 50-55 schools had worse recruiting classes that's absurd. The man can recruit and there is no denying that. This year's class for us doesn't look great right now, but look at our program. We're going on what, 5 years of this nonsense? If O'leary was our coach we'd be sitting in the triple digits for rankings for recruiting right now. Unfortunately, we have to wait on a lot of these kids because a lot of them are probably holding out for an Offer from UF, FSU, Miami, etc. and then once they realize they're not getting it we will add some more 3 stars to our class as signing day gets closer.

Definitely agree on the game day aspect though. He hasn't shown me one thing to make me think he's got what it takes on game day.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

Winning is extremely embarrassing. You people blow my mind. Do you remember how bad we were under the back end of Holtz. Do you remember Bobby E. And Matt Floyd? Do you remember how or team found ways to lose and looked completely lost on the field. Now we look inconsistent, sometimes we look like a garbage fire abs others we look like giant slayers. We have the potential to put it all together and that's on the coach. I think he can continue to turn it around.

Giant Slayers? When in the world has this team in the last 2 years looked like a "giant slayer"?

I would sayou the first half of the Wisconsin Gmne they looked insane. There were glimpses in the Maryland game. Ok maybe not "giant slayers" but to me they looked like they could pay with ANYONE successfully.

You mean our defense played insane the first half of Wisconsin. Our offense sucked as usual. it was 3-3 at the half. 

• Topic Count:  177
  • Content Count:  8,726
  • Days Won:  28

douggone.jpg

This
He coaches?
And gave Holtz a contract extension after a 5-7 season. He hired bad coaches and stuck us with long term debt on dead coaches salary.

don't know about the other teams....but do you consider those all good hires? so he's what 1 out of 3?

And gave Holtz an extension after a 5-7 season. Edited by El_Toro_86

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

The question should be....if you knew what you know today would you still hire Willie as the HC ?

I think the answer would be an overwhelming NO.

It's not really viable question until he's gone .... Should Va Tech have hired Beamer, Memphis Fuente? And I'm sure the haters will chime in now as to how they know how this movie ends but the realty is, nobody KNOWS yet.

Agree Triple, but it's okay to answer that question based on the body of work so far. Is 6-18 what Doug and Judy had in mind when they brought him in? I can't think so..

I guess this is the problem I have relating to all the hand wringing at this point in time. I like dealing with finished, or least nearly finished, products, not works in progress. If the question was more along the line of "Has CWT been a success here up to this point?", my answer would be no .... and I'm sure Doug and Judy's honest opinion would be the same ... but until he's given a decent opportunity to see if he can be a success, the question whether he should have been hired is up in the air.

Not debating whether he should/shouldn't have been hired, but today looking forward - is he the one to lead us building our program. Sure, give him another year but unless we see sound improvement we need to move on. We've already wasted years and regressed with previous regimes and I'm not certain the same isn't going on here.  What I see is an coach unwilling to adjust based on personnel and circumstance. Play a modified scheme that utilizes your players skills. I've seen a team that can't play a 4 quarters of inspired ball, can't tackle, receivers that can't run routes, can't catch. Lack of creativity, lack of game time and half time adjustments. Teaching, players getting better.  Coaching accountability.  Oh, the team is young...well, go watch Plant or Armwood play and they are well coached and play disciplined, fundamentally sound, inspired ball. Superior talent can hide inferior coaching so here's hoping he continues to recruit well.

My concern about giving him every opportunity to succeed here is based a lot on the recruiting. He and his staff have been proven to be good recruiters and I think that was the number one priority when he came in. He's a local guy with kind of the same feelings for the area as CJL had. From those aspects, I think he was the perfect hire following the guy who followed a legend here .... but the bottom line is winning games and if he can't get it done on the field like he was able to at WKU, we'll need to move on ... and that's the part that worries me, getting the right guy at that point where we'll be even worse off than when CWT was hired .... with less resources. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

douggone.jpg

This
He coaches?
And gave Holtz a contract extension after a 5-7 season. He hired bad coaches and stuck us with long term debt on dead coaches salary.

And gave Holtz an extension after a 5-7 season.

Doug has done more than anyone to run USF Athletics into the ground. When I think about everything LRS did from fundraising to eventually taking over as AD, it makes me sad to know that all of that has been undone and unchecked by the leadership at USF.

In some ways I don't blame him for being incompetent - you are what you are - but someone at USF should have pull the plug on him before it got so bad.

Change USF Athletics to USF football and that won't sound quite as ridiculous as it does now ...