Aaron Lynch drafted in 5th round by SF

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

I wonder if he's sitting at home today, running the math (with his girlfriend or wife).  Compare the 2 scenarios:

1. Resist urge to come home to gal, stay at ND, leave this year:  LIkely 1-2 rounder.

2. Come home to gal, forego conditioning/work, underachieve, leave this year.  Likely 5-7 rounder.

I'm guessing the urge to be closer to his gal likely felt great up until a few months ago.  As we watches players get drafted ahead of him (many of whom I've never even heard of), he has to know picking item 2 (complete with lack of work ethic & drive) has cost him untold millions.

Still, I wish him luck, and he'll get a shot at the NFL.  But if he doesn't get the wake up call, he'll have no degree and may struggle to make a good living (work ethic matters for us white & blue collar workers, too!).

Or he could have had the same type year at Notre Dame, declare, and be drafted 5th round. Some people don't look at what ifs. It leads to a untold amounts spent on shrinks.

anything's possible, but taking the year off, isolated from the personal distraction, adjusting priorities all likely severely affected his draft stock.  Saw in Knight's story that he actually married...and divorced...the girl he left ND for.  Brutal.

But, what's done is done, he's lost millions, but he can still put in the work and be rich beyond his needs.  But he needs to get his head on straight going forward, and the past has little bearing on success, at this point.

Hans Straub @CoachStraubUSFFollow

Thought an organization with 5 Super Bowl titles would have a stricter draft criteria. Clearly, integrity & character are not a priority.

Strength coach Hans Straub doesn't seem to like him.

Bwahahahaha
unacceptable.
Don't care....

In context: he should have not made his beef public, but I'm not the one who put it on there... So I'm not sure how it is unacceptable to find something funny

I'm not excusing it, and he's in a position of authority.  But Lynch sure seemed to blame USF for his poor conditioning & strength, and I'm sure that public finger pointing poked Coach Straub square in the chest. 

Seems he did post it, and quickly deleted...but not fast enough. I'm sure Taggart will counsel him, but it's hard to muzzle people in this Twitter age, and I don't think any punishment should be severe.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

******** about a college kid in a public forum when no one asked for your opinion doesn't exactly scream "integrity and character" either.

I missed the part where this was about a kid.... Lynch is a grown man.

So if Lynch was a few years younger, this wouldn't be acceptable, but because he's 21, **** him?

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

oooh... I could go for some Publix wings!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,382
  • Days Won:  8

Hans will be fine...he's good at his job and what he said was (in all probability) true anyway, albeit in poor taste. Slap on the wrist at worse.

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

His job description, I'm sure, doesn't include public criticisms of students. That's the big issue as I see it. These type of things put a black eye on the program. He comes across almost like a loose cannon and CWT not having control of his staff. That's on top of any issues that may arise legally. The litigation is so out of control I don't see the risk at absolute zero if Lynch doesn't like his contract and claims the Tweet made a negative impact on it, costing him money.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

Hope he has a long and successful career.

His job description, I'm sure, doesn't include public criticisms of students. That's the big issue as I see it. These type of things put a black eye on the program. He comes across almost like a loose cannon and CWT not having control of his staff. That's on top of any issues that may arise legally. The litigation is so out of control I don't see the risk at absolute zero if Lynch doesn't like his contract and claims the Tweet made a negative impact on it, costing him money.

It's not likely in Taggart's contract to endorse players for the NFL.  I'm guessing Lynch's public snipe at USFs conditioning (i.e. blaming anyone but himself) got under Straub's skin.  That said, I agree the Tweet shouldn't have been published, as coaches should be held to a higher standard.  Lynch isn't a kid, but he's still was a athlete-student under Straub's watch, and poking him in public is in bad form.

I don't think you have to worry about libel (slander is spoken, so that's not the case, as far as I see), as it's not libel if it's true...unless in rare occassions, it's done to maliciously injure someone. 

I do think bashing the 49ers (a team that has been a friend of USF) is where the most harm was done.  That's an affront to Taggart, and I'm sure upset and embarrassed him.  While I don't support firing Straub, I wouldn't be surprised if he was seeking new opportunities soon.  That'd be a shame, as it sounds like the players like him, and he had a lapse of judgment.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It's not likely in Taggart's contract to endorse players for the NFL.  I'm guessing Lynch's public snipe at USFs conditioning (i.e. blaming anyone but himself) got under Straub's skin.  That said, I agree the Tweet shouldn't have been published, as coaches should be held to a higher standard.  Lynch isn't a kid, but he's still was a athlete-student under Straub's watch, and poking him in public is in bad form.

I don't think you have to worry about libel (slander is spoken, so that's not the case, as far as I see), as it's not libel if it's true...unless in rare occassions, it's done to maliciously injure someone. 

I do think bashing the 49ers (a team that has been a friend of USF) is where the most harm was done.  That's an affront to Taggart, and I'm sure upset and embarrassed him.  While I don't support firing Straub, I wouldn't be surprised if he was seeking new opportunities soon.  That'd be a shame, as it sounds like the players like him, and he had a lapse of judgment.

A public mea culpa might exonerate him. All depends on Willie now. If he brushes it under the carpet without comment, then Willie's even more at fault. this needs to be addressed, publicly, and quickly, then put in the rear view mirror.