Dave Rice

NCBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

According to latest article by Joey Johnston, not only was there no offer, specifics of the contract were never even discussed.

Seems to be a lot of BS being thrown around from the candidate's side.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

Chris Farley is the average "source" for the media.

Adam Sandler is USF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-rGAM_KeA

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

According to latest article by Joey Johnston, not only was there no offer, specifics of the contract were never even discussed.

Or a cover up from USF's side since it is them that feeds the Joeys information when they need to.

I suspect the truth is somewhere between what USF is saying and the Rice/UNLV camp is saying. Either way the perception that USF is having trouble getting a head coach to replace Stan Heath is very real and isn't going away anytime soon.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

This whole thing is weird.  "A solid offer"?  But nothing in writing.  For all we know, USF told him he's a strong candidate, gave him terms of what could be and told him to mull it over.  Perhaps UNLVs side took off with that, and hustled to keep him there.

The knock on Rice was that he could get the players, but couldn't motivate or coach 'em up.  Didn't we already have that in Heath?  We're SICK of that.

Again, weird, but since few thought he was on the radar and few were excited about him, I agree with the response of...NEXT!

Well when the man is told he can have the job if he wants, that's basically an offer. Rice knew the numbers of the contract and the all the details of it. You are not going to be able to get any coach to consider your school without giving him some numbers to think about.

Yes Rice is Stan Heath at Arkansas, not USF. Frankly Rice probably isn't as good when you consider everything. Heath brought in top 10-20 classes too, but unlike Rice, Stan teams actually slightly improved. I would take Stan over Dave Rice in a head to head contest without question.

Vega, unless you know this as fact, we don't know that he was "told he can have the job if he wants it".  I know I don't.  He could have inferred, or simply used similar numbers that we published about Masiello.  Who knows?  It SEEMS like there was still some thinking to do on both sides, Rice wants to stay and Rice levered the potential deal to get UNLV to up the ante.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Or a cover up from USF's side since it is them that feeds the Joeys information when they need to.

I suspect the truth is somewhere between what USF is saying and the Rice/UNLV camp is saying. Either way the perception that USF is having trouble getting a head coach to replace Stan Heath is very real and isn't going away anytime soon.

USF isn't saying anything .... and the last two bb hires that went off without the perception of having trouble were Seth and Mac. Bring on the perception.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

It's called doing the Dave Rice lol

Jeff Goodman â€@GoodmanESPN 

Marquette is targeting Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin, multiple sources told ESPN. Ben Howland also in the mix:

Drew â€@CoachSchifino 

@GoodmanESPN @CoachGreiser why would he leave tenn for marquette lol

Wayne Greiser II îª â€@CoachGreiser

@CoachSchifino I think he was on hot seat at Tennessee as well... probably won't take it will use it for extension like UNLV coach did w/USF

Edited by Vega

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

Report: Rice turns down South Florida to stay at UNLV

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 1:52 PM Updated: Mar 29, 2014 1:14 PM

By 8NewsNOW Staff - email

LAS VEGAS -- UNLV head coach Dave Rice is not going anywhere after all.

ESPN reported that Rice, who received an offer from the University of South Florida, will stay with the Rebels.

Although Rice confirmed Friday night that he had been offered the South Florida job, sources told ESPN on Saturday that the coach did not have an "official offer" from USF. However, ESPN said there was an understanding he could have the job.

Neither Rice nor the school has confirmed the ESPN report, which cited anonymous sources.

After the news broke of Rice potentially leaving, that set up an emergency meeting Friday night between Rice and UNLV Athletic Director Tina Kunzer-Murphy. 

After that meeting, Kunzer-Murphywas planning to meet with Don Snyder, UNLV's acting president, on Saturday to discuss a possible contract extension and raise for Rice. However there is no word if Rice did, in fact, get a raise from UNLV.

Reports say Rice was offered between $1.2 million to $1.4 million per year for five seasons to go to USF. Rice's contract at UNLV has three years remaining at $700,000 per year.

Rice, who just completed his third year with the Rebels, is 70-31 with two NCAA Tournament appearances.

Rice, a 45-year-old UNLV graduate, led the team to a 20-13 record this season, missing the postseason for the first time in his tenure.

However, the future looks bright for UNLV as the school has commitments from three elite recruits -- Rashad Vaughn, Goodluck Okonoboh and Dwayne Morgan.

This recruiting class would have been a key reason UNLV probably was willing to increase Rice's salary to keep him and the incoming freshmen intact.

Sources indicated Rice was contacted by South Florida officials soon after the school rescinded an offer to Manhattan's Steve Masiello, whose deal fell through after he failed a background check. South Florida officials met with Rice during the coach's last recruiting trip Friday.

"South Florida called me and asked permission to talk to him which we granted. David and I and his family met and like I told everybody and I told David we don't want to lose him." Kunzer-Murphy said Friday.

If Kunzer-Murphy wasn't able to reach an agreement with Rice, UNLV would have had some top candidates to choose from to take over. Two of the names probably will be former UCLA coach Ben Howland Cal State Northridge coach Reggie Theus, a former Rebels standout who was bypassed when the school picked Rice after Lon Kruger left for Oklahoma.

Link

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,475
  • Days Won:  14

I hope heads are rolling at the B&E office in Texas. This is an unacceptable use of $60,000.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Conflicting reports. We didn't offer a job, nor were specifics about the terms of an agreement didcussed.

Very weird situation from 2 different camps.

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/report-unlvs-rice-offered-usf-coaching-post-20140328/

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I hope heads are rolling at the B&E office in Texas. This is an unacceptable use of $60,000.

Beginning to agree