Would firing Heath be another classic USF mistake?

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,326
  • Days Won:  8

Sounds like Hawkins is gone:

@TeamTae23: I'm gone miss Florida mane 😫

@_EGGFOO_Young: @TeamTae23 where u going ?

@TeamTae23: @_EGGFOO_Young somewhere else

This is really too bad. I thought Hawkins showed some great flashes this year, especially an improvement in shooting. But I sort of understand it too...you could tell he was in Heath's doghouse for some reason. What a shame.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Sounds like Hawkins is gone:

@TeamTae23: I'm gone miss Florida mane

@_EGGFOO_Young: @TeamTae23 where u going ?

@TeamTae23: @_EGGFOO_Young somewhere else

This is really too bad. I thought Hawkins showed some great flashes this year, especially an improvement in shooting. But I sort of understand it too...you could tell he was in Heath's doghouse for some reason. What a shame.

Hawkins has been in "neutral" since he's stepped foot on campus. I don't see him asserting himself very well on defense. Offensively, he's supposed to be more consistent with his reputation out of high school, but he just hasn't shone in that regard either. There have been rumors of him transferring going back to last off season, let's just see how this plays out.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I'm ok with giving him another year. Perry and Egbunu played really well and improved as the season went on. If we can get a healthy Collins and some wings who can hit threes, we can be pretty good imo. I think if we have another losing season next year I really cant say anything to defend him. 

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233

Great facilities, on par with many in the country , good conference affiliation for BB,(BE and AAC),  great area of the country to live in, good recruiting classes,  and Only 1 good year of success.  

Stan has to go,  He is the problem,  doesn't know how to coach. 

Not firing him will only do further damage to a program already in the toilet.(last place in the conference, behind the newbies as well). (Pathetic)

Keeping him will almost assure killing off the few remaining season ticket holders/donors and the 20- 50 students that show up regularly for games. Want to see a diminished product (USF BB ticket) that has no value, than keep Stan.

Edited by Dhambuc

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I'll politely disagree with you there dhambuc

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233

What part or parts do you disagree with Flip, Curious?

I disagree that Coach Heath is the problem. Yes, he has to take some of the blame for what happened this season, but losing AC totally torpedoed this season.

I would blame Coach Heath for not bringing his son in sooner than he did.

He has proven he can do good things here. We're young and have talent up front. We will contend with a healthy AC next season and more scoring from Allen, Zeigler, Clayton, Holston.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Collins is solid, but I don't believe the season is that great with him...we MIGHT have pushed .500

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

Coach Heath made too many coaching errors with this group of guys he currently has.  Yeah, I know Collins is out, but that is NO excuse to lose leads like he has done.  Or excuse the fact that his players were blown out by 30 or 40 on more than one occasion.  I was a Coach Heath supporter, but then I found out he struggles with too many X's and O's items. 

How about the fact that the team can't run quality sets? 

How about the fact that the team has struggled with simple inbound plays (for years)?  These are supposed to be scoring plays, not just getting the ball in play.

How about the fact that none of his players seem motivated by him?

No player fears him.

Players are not getting better under him.

So even if you give him 'one more year'....and say Collins addition gets them to the NIT, then you are stuck signing him to another extension, because then he would be a lame duck coach.

Cut ties now.  Collins and the quality players are not going anywhere.  A good new hire will rejuvenate the team and maybe even bring in some new talent we need this year. 

One more thing......the assistants he brought in.....didn't seem like Heath even let them coach.  They were brought in simply to make a change after last year's bad season.

A good basketball man can do wonders with a team right away. 

My choice would be to bring Tommy Tonelli in, along with Chucky Atkins as assistant coach.  Tonelli is an awesome coach and evaluator of talent.  He also would not command a 1 million/year salary.  He also would bring back the alumni.  He left under Heath for a reason a few years ago.....knew he couldn't coach.

Joe, the VooDoo5 stat about close games with and without Collins is quite glaring.

In games decided by 5 points or less we are 5-0 with Collins and 1-8 without him.

Even if you half those 8 losses to wins (we likely would have won more than that had he played) then we're talking about being an NIT team, which many thought we would accomplish this season.

Wagers, if we made the NIT next season, then I do not think that would warrant an extension. Doesn't Stan still have 4 years left?