Would firing Heath be another classic USF mistake?

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

the class he is bringing in? he has 1 signee this year.

plus two that redshirted and a healthy AC that stacks up as a pretty good class of new players.  For your info we have 2 new signed players

There is only 1 player signed and that's Holston. The project that Heath got a quick commitment from isn't signed yet. Him being here is very much up in the air at the moment so we'll just have to see what will happen there.

While we are gaining an athletic Bo Zeigler and an overweight Dre Clayton, we are losing Rudd and Brock. There are signs that maybe Hawkins and LeDay might leave, certainly wouldn't be a surprise if either or both left as it has been talked about before. Getting Collins back is just an upgrade over what Josh Heath does. AC himself is neither a shooter or a scorer so this supposedly great jump in talent for next season is kind of misleading.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/3/11/5493682/would-firing-stan-heath-be-another-usf-mistake

I agree with the points made in Colin's article. I think Heath deserves another year with the class he is bringing in. If we are not at the very least on the NCAAT bubble next year then it is time to move on.

I could see this going either way but really hope we keep the only man to ever win a Tourney game in the school's history around for another year.

Andrew's column was weak with many holes that can be easily counterpointed.

The old way of thinking is gone with the hiring of Harlan, as he is not an USF alumn and will not have this defeated mentality of "we can't do any better because we are USF." This take the crumbs falling off the table from mediocre coaches like Stan Heath has hopefully ended.

LOL....being on the NCAAT bubble might please you but it won't please a guy like Harlan.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Collins makes everyone on the floor better.  We saw that the two years he was healthy.  i am not really worried about Brock leaving.  Look at the entire body of wor, not just the last few games. AC averages about the same number of points and he had been working on improving his shooting.  The big thing with AC is at the end of the game you have the ball in the hands of the smartest guy on the court.  More importantly, You now have a guy that is better than an 80% career ft shooter instead of Brock that is about 50%.  In each of the close 1 point losses Brock missed many FTs and quite honestly, I felt he made some dumb plays and fouls at crucial times. A lot of people consider Collins one of the premier PGs in the country.  You don't think he is an upgrade over Heath?  Even playing injured, at about 60% he still added a dimension that was missing.  Of course AC and Brock don't play the same position.  Having Collins back frees Corey Allen up to be a shooting guard.  

Honestly, and I may feel differently than a lot of people here, I am not so worried about Rudd graduating.  Corey Allen's shooting percentage was very similar to Rudd in his Junior year and not too far off this year.  The difference is that Rudd does it with a little more flair and also jacks up about twice the number of shots that everyone else does.  He was the feature guy this year.  Statistically Allen is a better Free throw shooter and better 3 point shooter than Rudd. I don't see where his points are not going to be made up.

I am disappointed in Hawkins and Leday.  Especially Hawkins.  

We will see.  Either way, I see a better team next year.  If you don't think experience in college basketball, or in college sports for that matter, you don't understand college sports.  There are guys out there that excel in their freshman year, but most of the time they have a lot to learn and usually need to put on some muscle.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/3/11/5493682/would-firing-stan-heath-be-another-usf-mistake

I agree with the points made in Colin's article. I think Heath deserves another year with the class he is bringing in. If we are not at the very least on the NCAAT bubble next year then it is time to move on.

I could see this going either way but really hope we keep the only man to ever win a Tourney game in the school's history around for another year.

The old way of thinking is gone with the hiring of Harlan, as he is not an USF alumn and will not have this defeated mentality of "we can't do any better because we are USF." This take the crumbs falling off the table from mediocre coaches like Stan Heath has hopefully ended.

LOL....being on the NCAAT bubble might please you but it won't please a guy like Harlan.

On these points I agree.  One quote I read on twitter from Harlan that resonated was when he said "quite frankly, there are some decisions to be made".  Since it was on Twitter I don't know in what context the quote was made, but it sounded like some decisions about who will be the leaders going forward will be on the table.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Heath has had 7 years...he won 3 games in a dumbed down Big East.

It's time to move on. He's built a train wreck

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Days Won:  5

That  dumbed down BE is better then the current BE

RM built a train wreck this is not a train wreck at all 

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

That dumbed down BE is better then the current BE

Maybe, but its nowhere near the Big East of the previous 6 years.

RM built a train wreck this is not a train wreck at all

Ha! Stan has won 9 and 12 games with facilities RMC didn't even have concept drawings of.

He's not done well. The program is terrible.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I'll bet anybody on here a beer that Coach Heath will be back next year.

1) Our new AD is not a gunslinger; he's going to take his time.

2) Coach Heath deserves another year. We aren't Arkansas with rabid bball fans.

Say all you want. Coach Heath will be back. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

To me either eay works.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Days Won:  5

With your thinking I guess Cal at UK is in trouble also.  I mean first round NIT loss and out of the top 25 with two number one recruiting classes at arguably the top program if not top 5 in the country.  Guess they need a new coach too.