I can't believe this class

cmhatter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

I think everyone realizes that recruiting class stars does not equal on field dominance. That does not mean it is not worth being excited about. This is simply the potential, and to get such a highly reviewed class after our season speaks volumes as to what this staff is trying to do. Listening to the player and coach interviews has been great and I fully expect a much improved season this year. I get the skepticism, but I see little point in sharing it at this time. We need to build excitement around the program, not constantly remind everyone of our well documented trouble areas. That does not mean ignore our faults, they need to be corrected but hammering everyone that gets excited at good news is pointless in my opinion.

Reminding ones self constantly of past failures is like bring up that they had the crabs ,or some type of veneral diasease to their girl friend ......

so they know what they mean when they say it felt great initially (class rank) but was let down after getting test results (lack of conference championship)?

LOL :applause:

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

UCLA's Mora said their best recruit this year was getting their QB back, he's not going to the NFL early. Another year gathering splinters AW.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

I still believe White is going to be a very good QB.

If I was betting, I'd say White will win the competition and maybe we can RS Flowers, but if the kid can throw worth a darn it'll be hard to keep him off the field. A dual-threat QB with 4.4 quickness and great mobility would add a nice dimension to our running game.

For us fans sake I hope White wins the job, unless Flowers turns out to be the next Johnny Football.

First, because White will have a much better grasp of the offense. All we heard out of CWT the entire year about the poor QB play was they are still learning the offense, still learning, still learning, etc. If the offense is truly that hard to learn that some of the guys last year couldn't learn it from Spring practice, and the entire season the chances of anyone coming in and getting it is slim to none.Another year of a Freshman QB and "He's still learning the offense" in every post game conference will put me over the deep end.

Secondly, Flowers looks like one heck of an athlete but how in the world do you utilize his speed in the offense we ran last year? Unless Taggart has some hidden/special entirely separate playbook he can implement for a QB like that I just don't see a true Dual Threat QB flourishing with his legs in this offense, but that's just me. 

Anyways, it's an amazing recruiting class by CWT and co. considering the state of our program. Stars and rankings usually don't mean a whole lot but he's definitely pumping talent into the program. Hope they develop into what we all hope they can be.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,826

The same people who are down playing the importance of this recruiting class are the same people who would be screaming for CWT's head if we were like 80th or behind UCF.

UCF just had their most amazing season in their history and one of the best seasons of any non-P5 (BCS) program EVER and they had the 73rd rated class.  We have the 39th ranked class.

Enjoy it.  Does it mean we are promised a bowl game next year?  no, but it sure as heck helps our chances and shows that high school kids are buying into what CWT is selling.

Several members of this class turned down big schools including FSU, Georgia, and more.

Dude. USF had a top 25 class before. No championship followed. Chill. It's hopefully going to translate to competing for the AAC but we all know that it's what happens on the field that counts. Cautiously optimistic.

Lets put that class in perspective as it was Jimbos last class. Had he had more time to build subsequent classes we dont know what could have happened.

Edited by Bulliever
Delete duplicate quote

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,807

We ran option plays with Bench last year at times. The 49er's do just fine with their pro style offense and their spread offense qb. We simply didn't have the talent to run Taggarts offense last year

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

If I was betting, I'd say White will win the competition and maybe we can RS Flowers, but if the kid can throw worth a darn it'll be hard to keep him off the field. A dual-threat QB with 4.4 quickness and great mobility would add a nice dimension to our running game.

Dunno if it happens, but that makes me envision that run Kaepernick had last year in the playoffs against Green Bay where he went on a bootleg/option route, then just planted, cut, and burst upfield 50+ yards for a score. Dreams in my head have me watching our burly RBs freight train and squirt past the holes the O-lines open, then on other plays, seeing a mobile QB take a keeper up the middle or around the end for a gain. Then seeing the next play as a TE seam route for a score, or plenty of WR plays for possession or semi-deep routes as the defense starts to creep up to play our run game. It would be punishing for them and fun for us, I'd take even half of that success this year compared to last.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

For us fans sake I hope White wins the job, unless Flowers turns out to be the next Johnny Football.

First, because White will have a much better grasp of the offense. All we heard out of CWT the entire year about the poor QB play was they are still learning the offense, still learning, still learning, etc. If the offense is truly that hard to learn that some of the guys last year couldn't learn it from Spring practice, and the entire season the chances of anyone coming in and getting it is slim to none.Another year of a Freshman QB and "He's still learning the offense" in every post game conference will put me over the deep end.

Secondly, Flowers looks like one heck of an athlete but how in the world do you utilize his speed in the offense we ran last year? Unless Taggart has some hidden/special entirely separate playbook he can implement for a QB like that I just don't see a true Dual Threat QB flourishing with his legs in this offense, but that's just me. 

Anyways, it's an amazing recruiting class by CWT and co. considering the state of our program. Stars and rankings usually don't mean a whole lot but he's definitely pumping talent into the program. Hope they develop into what we all hope they can be.

With Flowers, he  can now open the play book to the page that reads "bootleg left" or "bootleg right"

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Not to take away anything from the class, but a big reason why were are ranked so low is because of the amount of recruits we have. Here are the averages:

USF - 2.89
UL - 2.82
Cincinnati - 2.65
UCF - 2.61
Rutgers - 2.6
Temple - 2.52
Tulane - 2.23
Memphis - 2.2
UConn - 2.2
Tulsa - 2.18
ECU - 2.12
SMU - 2.1
UH - 2.08
Navy - 2

Part of the reason for UCF's class being so low is that they are limited by scholarships available.

These websites don't figure out class rankings simply by averaging all of the recruit's stars. They have formulas that they implement in order to determine the class rankings. UCF's limited scholarships have nothing to do with why they are so low. Some of the sites don't include JUCO's and some only factor in the top 20 recruits in the class for example. The links below are to each of the main recruiting sites and how they calculate their team rankings.

http://www.scout.com/3/about-team-rankings.html

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=1364602

http://247sports.com/Article/247Rating-Explanation-81574

Case in point...UCLA only had 18 commits but are ranked #19 per scout ...

They also have eleven 4 star recruits.

We ran option plays with Bench last year at times. The 49er's do just fine with their pro style offense and their spread offense qb. We simply didn't have the talent to run Taggarts offense last year

Running a pro style offense with pro players is probably, I dunno, just a little different than running it with a college football team in the AAC lol. But yes, the 49ers do just fine with their dual threat QB. I don't really remember seeing the 49ers lining up in 3 TE, FB, RB, sets as much as we did though. I see a lot of different formations where Kaepernick has the ability to use the read option as well. I saw that with Bench like a total of 4 times. Using it that little is a random play call here and there and not necessarily a part of our offense the way it is with the 9ers. Hopefully, I'm wrong but with the formations we used last year I don't see a QBs legs being utilized the way other dual threats are. Doesn't mean it can't be successful, just makes me very skeptical. 

With Flowers, he  can now open the play book to the page that reads "bootleg left" or "bootleg right"

That play could definitely work, once or twice... I'm sure Taggart has some more plays than that where he could put Flowers in a position to run. Unless we see more of a 49er type offense I just don't see a QB with legs being that big of a threat the entire game. Maybe on a play or 2 but.