Is it time for OCS?

BrahmanBullzzz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

And I refer to Univ of Houston as our model for an OCS. Dont forget that their current president was a USF before taking the Houston job. Dont think that Judy and Houston president dont talk about these issues. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

So I have not read all of the links you posted, but I would be completely SHOCKED if our Athletic Department was making $$ off of our athletics. Up until like 6 years ago there were less than 10 colleges in the nation that were actually making $$ off of their athletics. Duke, Texas, etc. Big time programs.

I would love to have an on campus stadium, however I would want it done RIGHT. The stadium UCF has is miserable. A metal bleacher bowl that feels like it is going to collapse and only 45,000 seats? The school has 60,000 students by itself.

Not to mention, we don't have near the land that most other schools have.

If we can find a way to build a nice on campus stadium, and have a capacity in the range of 55,000-60,000 I would be all for it. But until that becomes on a reality, Ray Jay is just fine with me.

Why in creation do we need a 60k stadium? more like 45k with ability to expand down the line.

I agree 100%. In fact, I think 45K is ideal until we sell out routinely and there's clearly demand for a larger stadium.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Didnt read the thread since its been done before but yes, obviously. 

I think they should just announce a fundraising plan of some sort to get the ball rolling. I would definitely donate a little. Just create an actual fund, like the Unstoppabull fund. 

Oh and 45k should be the absolute MAX until we can sell out regularly. 

Edited by Ghost

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

We've shown before when winning the capability of easily exceeding the 40K some are proposing.  While 65K is probably too big for what we need right now, I think 40-45K is just slightly too small.  I've always loved the design of the Stanford football stadium.  Seats 50K, and could be easily expandable in the endzones second level.  Views great on TV, and seems to hold the sound of the fans in quit well.  And if we wanted to do only 45K, one of the upper decks in the end zones could be left open for a common "beach" area or something.  

primary.jpg

Edited by Bullshiznitz

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

I'm new to the forum, but i was posting thinking aloud based on my observations on recent actions taken by the university.  Namely, the recent announcement of renewing the Unstoppable campaign really piqued my interest.  They have a lofty goal of $1 billion and seemingly no where to put the Athletics portion of that sum.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I'm new to the forum, but i was posting thinking aloud based on my observations on recent actions taken by the university.  Namely, the recent announcement of renewing the Unstoppable campaign really piqued my interest.  They have a lofty goal of $1 billion and seemingly no where to put the Athletics portion of that sum.

Not a problem. You will get used to the bevy of threads that are created every week over and over. This is def one of them, although the conversation is usually ok. 

Yeah I feel the same way as you do. A lot of us do. I would prefer growing into a stadium as opposed to going from 0-60. Similar to buying your first home and fixing it up the way you want it to and growing with it as your life changes and your family grows. Instead of renting an apartment for 20 years before buying the end product. Obviously, there are some who would choose the latter. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  151

At the UCF game I talked to a family that grew up around UCF football. He was convinced that if USF built an OCS then our atmosphere and school pride would skyrocket immediately just like "ours did" he said. If you were at the UCF game then you have seen the incredible atmosphere that is centered around having the stadium just outside their student union and dorms. The tailgating field is fantastic and their "march to the stadium" is electric, not sad like ours. I'm not trying to jump ship to the dark side by any means, I know it's sounding like it though... I just saw what we could have and I am more convinced now than ever that it is doable and it would change a lot about how the college football community views us. I want the best for USF and I know that we can do it and do it right.

Go Bulls!!!

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  3,136
  • Days Won:  7

We've shown before when winning the capability of easily exceeding the 40K some are proposing.  While 65K is probably too big for what we need right now, I think 40-45K is just slightly too small.  I've always loved the design of the Stanford football stadium.  Seats 50K, and could be easily expandable in the endzones second level.  Views great on TV, and seems to hold the sound of the fans in quit well.  And if we wanted to do only 45K, one of the upper decks in the end zones could be left open for a common "beach" area or something.  

primary.jpg

That's actually quite a beautiful stadium as well. I could go for something like that, but how much would it run us? 

Gotta talk to Victor Crist again...

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  50

That's actually quite a beautiful stadium as well. I could go for something like that, but how much would it run us? 

I believe between 90-100 million, and they also tore down the old stadium with that money (http://newballpark.org/2006/09/24/how-to-build-a-nice-stadium-on-the-cheap/)

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

The Stanford stadium looks nice and should be cheaper to do in FL than in CA unless it is dug into the ground, which it appears to be. Personally I would like an enclosed bowl of about 50k with possible expansion to over 80,000 if we should ever get to the point where we have that demand. I know that sounds far fetched, but it may happen in the future, and it is better to plan for the possibility.

Go Bulls!