• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The border was a few hundred miles ago.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer.  Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding.  He also hinted at further enhancements.  I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!!  However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field.  Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.   

If anything, the attendance at RJS has made an OCS a higher priority now. No point of paying all that money to rent out a 65K stadium when about 20K actual fans are there. Now they can focus on a smaller stadium on campus that would generate more money by keeping it at the university.

How in the world does that make sense? You think leasing a stadium for 6 games a year will cost more than owning one? You do realize that there are expenses past building it, right? That's like someone who goes on 6 trips across town a year thinking its cheaper to buy a car than take the bus.

This article says that not only attendance is down, but TV viewers too. College football seems to have peaked and declining in popularity.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21597895/in-era-of-technological-financial-change-has-college-football-peaked

You don't think college atmosphere effects the decisions freshman make on where to go to school ? Having an OCS has all kinds of intangible benefits. How many alumni come into town to go to a football game and never make it back to campus to see what's happening at the school? Bringing all those alumni back on campus helps drive donations and pride.

Slick's very afraid/worried that USF would build a better stadium than UCF.

This!!! It is funny how all of us were ripping on UCF's tin stadium years ago and Slick was defending it. Welp, UCF is now laughing to the bank with the OCS stadium and it wont be long before they improve their stadium. The longer USF holds out to making an OCS a reality, the more of a hole that USF falls in. We are now in UCF's rear view mirror. The only way to catch up and take the lead is to build a better OCS. That would go a long way. We already built a better Sun Dome and basketball facilities to pass up UCF after they opened up their new hoops arena. I am kind of glad UCF is doing well now because it will light more of a spark for Judy and Doug to get things done in order to keep up. UCF's success should push USF to try harder and get better. We were living to comfortable with UCF being in the rear view mirror which caused them to work hard to get where they are. I believe 2014 you will see some big changes for USF. Stay tuned. 

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer. Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding. He also hinted at further enhancements. I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!! However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field. Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.

If anything, the attendance at RJS has made an OCS a higher priority now. No point of paying all that money to rent out a 65K stadium when about 20K actual fans are there. Now they can focus on a smaller stadium on campus that would generate more money by keeping it at the university.
How in the world does that make sense? You think leasing a stadium for 6 games a year will cost more than owning one? You do realize that there are expenses past building it, right? That's like someone who goes on 6 trips across town a year thinking its cheaper to buy a car than take the bus.

This article says that not only attendance is down, but TV viewers too. College football seems to have peaked and declining in popularity.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21597895/in-era-of-technological-financial-change-has-college-football-peaked

And Brad. The only way to make up the revenue of not having anyone come to home games is through TV revenue.

Ticket price.

A full stadium (a la SMU) isn't the key.

Tickets were free for the SMU game today. Raising ticket prices when you are having trouble getting people to the game already? Sounds like that isn't an answer either.

Ba5DCt8CcAICyGM.jpg

Using the snowstorm in Dallas that has almost 300,000 people with no power as your rationale for why USF shouldn't build a stadium is borderline retarded.

Also, love that burn they have at SMU to use for overflow crowds. I would think USF needs to build about a 35K to 40K with chair backs. Then have the extra burm area to get more fans in if needed. Kind of like what we have with soccer. 

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer. Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding. He also hinted at further enhancements. I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!! However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field. Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.

This article says that not only attendance is down, but TV viewers too. College football seems to have peaked and declining in popularity.http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21597895/in-era-of-technological-financial-change-has-college-football-peaked

And Brad. The only way to make up the revenue of not having anyone come to home games is through TV revenue.

Ticket price.

A full stadium (a la SMU) isn't the key.

Tickets were free for the SMU game today. Raising ticket prices when you are having trouble getting people to the game already? Sounds like that isn't an answer either.Ba5DCt8CcAICyGM.jpg
Using the snowstorm in Dallas that has almost 300,000 people with no power as your rationale for why USF shouldn't build a stadium is borderline retarded.
You're being generous with your borderline.

I was waiting for him to say they cancelled the SMU basketball game on campus today due to lack of interest before I dropped the full retard label on him.

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer.  Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding.  He also hinted at further enhancements.  I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!!  However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field.  Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.   

You don't think college atmosphere effects the decisions freshman make on where to go to school ? Having an OCS has all kinds of intangible benefits. How many alumni come into town to go to a football game and never make it back to campus to see what's happening at the school? Bringing all those alumni back on campus helps drive donations and pride.

Slick's very afraid/worried that USF would build a better stadium than UCF.

This!!! It is funny how all of us were ripping on UCF's tin stadium years ago and Slick was defending it. Welp, UCF is now laughing to the bank with the OCS stadium and it wont be long before they improve their stadium. The longer USF holds out to making an OCS a reality, the more of a hole that USF falls in. We are now in UCF's rear view mirror. The only way to catch up and take the lead is to build a better OCS. That would go a long way. We already built a better Sun Dome and basketball facilities to pass up UCF after they opened up their new hoops arena. I am kind of glad UCF is doing well now because it will light more of a spark for Judy and Doug to get things done in order to keep up. UCF's success should push USF to try harder and get better. We were living to comfortable with UCF being in the rear view mirror which caused them to work hard to get where they are. I believe 2014 you will see some big changes for USF. Stay tuned. 

Find that post. 

Yeah, UCF is "laughing to the bank". Uh, no. UCF is struggling financially.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-09-21/sports/os-ucf-athletics-budget-woes-20130921_1_ucf-athletics-association-todd-stansbury-ucf-president-john-hitt

Hitt recalled hearing UCF could get anywhere from $12 million to $20 million annually, a massive jump from about $1.5 million a year it collected in Conference USA.

Less than two years later, the Big East fell apart, and UCF's share of television revenue is just $2 million annually.

It's one of many financialicon1.png blows the Knights have endured. The school is slated to collect $3 million less than expected from its naming-rights contract with Bright House Networks. Ticket sales and donations are climbing slowly, but they're still short of 2007 figures and well below some peers.

As a result, UCF has lost valuable assistant coaches and administrative-staff members critical to the program's growth. Coaches are forced to stretch every dollar in their recruiting budgetsicon1.png to help land the best possible athletes. UCF opened a new football stadium and basketball arena in 2007, but it has delayed renovating aging facilities or adding new ones.

USF has to stay competive with the AAC. UCF, SMU, Tulane, Houston, Cincy have or are contructing new OCS. Memphis is pushing to upgrade their football facility. Tulane and Houston could have used the NFL stadiums, but are opting to OCS. That tells you something. Hopefully, there will be something announced within the next few years regarding an OCS. 

USF has to stay competive with the AAC. UCF, SMU, Tulane, Houston, Cincy have or are contructing new OCS. Memphis is pushing to upgrade their football facility. Tulane and Houston could have used the NFL stadiums, but are opting to OCS. That tells you something. Hopefully, there will be something announced within the next few years regarding an OCS. 

If its good enough for Miami and Pitt...    USF needs to be competitive on the field. Period.

If its good enough for Miami and Pitt...    USF needs to be competitive on the field. Period.

Both Pitt and Miami have terrible atmospheres at their NFL stadiums. Talk to many, and they hate it and would love to have and OCS. With the money that they are going to contiune to rack in with the new system. They will be fine. USF no longer has that luxury of being in a power conference. We are in a low and could be heading even lower as long as we are paying to rent out a RJS that will get about 12K. Don't forget that the Univ of Tampa shut their program down due to lack of interest. USF may get into that danger if we continue this downward spiral. It would not surprise me now the way the landscape has changed. 

Both Pitt and Miami have terrible atmospheres at their NFL stadiums. Talk to many, and they hate it and would love to have and OCS. With the money that they are going to contiune to rack in with the new system. They will be fine. USF no longer has that luxury of being in a power conference. We are in a low and could be heading even lower as long as we are paying to rent out a RJS that will get about 12K. Don't forget that the Univ of Tampa shut their program down due to lack of interest. USF may get into that danger if we continue this downward spiral. It would not surprise me now the way the landscape has changed. 

Do you think the state of football is not going to change in the near future? What if paying student athletes is initiated? Then what? Or if they change the game even more due to the head injury risks and it becomes even less appealing to fans? I am just saying don't rush out in this economy, with the sport in flux and spend hundreds of millions.

The inequality of spending on athletics vs education at universities is going to come under further examination after the report that just came out.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/12/04/new-database-allows-users-compare-sports-and-academic-spending

Here's the chart for USF.  From 2005 to 2011 USF increased the spending per full time student 14% while it increased 139% for football players. 

http://spendingdatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/big-east/university-of-south-florida