Is it time for OCS?

BrahmanBullzzz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer.  Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding.  He also hinted at further enhancements.  I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!!  However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field.  Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.   

If anything, the attendance at RJS has made an OCS a higher priority now. No point of paying all that money to rent out a 65K stadium when about 20K actual fans are there. Now they can focus on a smaller stadium on campus that would generate more money by keeping it at the university. 

How in the world does that make sense? You think leasing a stadium for 6 games a year will cost more than owning one? You do realize that there are expenses past building it, right? That's like someone who goes on 6 trips across town a year thinking its cheaper to buy a car than take the bus.

This article says that not only attendance is down, but TV viewers too. College football seems to have peaked and declining in popularity.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21597895/in-era-of-technological-financial-change-has-college-football-peaked

And Brad. The only way to make up the revenue of not having anyone come to home games is through TV revenue.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer.  Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding.  He also hinted at further enhancements.  I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!!  However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field.  Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.   

If anything, the attendance at RJS has made an OCS a higher priority now. No point of paying all that money to rent out a 65K stadium when about 20K actual fans are there. Now they can focus on a smaller stadium on campus that would generate more money by keeping it at the university.

How in the world does that make sense? You think leasing a stadium for 6 games a year will cost more than owning one? You do realize that there are expenses past building it, right? That's like someone who goes on 6 trips across town a year thinking its cheaper to buy a car than take the bus.

This article says that not only attendance is down, but TV viewers too. College football seems to have peaked and declining in popularity.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21597895/in-era-of-technological-financial-change-has-college-football-peaked

You don't think college atmosphere effects the decisions freshman make on where to go to school ? Having an OCS has all kinds of intangible benefits. How many alumni come into town to go to a football game and never make it back to campus to see what's happening at the school? Bringing all those alumni back on campus helps drive donations and pride.

You don't think college atmosphere effects the decisions freshman make on where to go to school ? Having an OCS has all kinds of intangible benefits. How many alumni come into town to go to a football game and never make it back to campus to see what's happening at the school? Bringing all those alumni back on campus helps drive donations and pride.

Are you talking recruiting? Or freshman in general because the article addresses the drop in student attendance across college football. They aren't attending games at OCS either in the numbers they did.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

What Byers failed to see back in the 1980s is that more televised games would actually enhance attendance. Fans wanted to be there to soak up the atmosphere, the tailgating, the experience. But technology has made it increasingly easier for those to stay at home in a Barcalounger with no crowds, cheap beer and a large HD screen.

That is true. If you really don't dig the whole 'game day' experience, I can see where you'd opt for the recliner and 84" ultra-high def TV. Maybe it's just an evolution of  what people want. As pointed out though...those same people who whine about the cost of going to a ball game shell out hundreds of dollars to see a concert without a peep. Sounds like preference...and maybe a migration away from sports.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Slick's very afraid/worried that USF would build a better stadium than UCF.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer. Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding. He also hinted at further enhancements. I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!! However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field. Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.

And Brad. The only way to make up the revenue of not having anyone come to home games is through TV revenue.

Ticket price.

A full stadium (a la SMU) isn't the key.

I was at a booster’s get together in late summer. Woolard mentioned how he was very proud of the athletics facilities improvements completed in the last couple of years, all done with private funding. He also hinted at further enhancements. I thought at the time, maybe a stadium!! However, that might have been derailed, or at least postponed with our performance in the field. Kind of lost momentum to get into pockets, if you know what I mean.

Ticket price.

Tickets were free for the SMU game today. Raising ticket prices when you are having trouble getting people to the game already? Sounds like that isn't an answer either.

Ba5DCt8CcAICyGM.jpg

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Ticket price.

Tickets were free for the SMU game today. Raising ticket prices when you are having trouble getting people to the game already? Sounds like that isn't an answer either.

Ba5DCt8CcAICyGM.jpg

Using the snowstorm in Dallas that has almost 300,000 people with no power as your rationale for why USF shouldn't build a stadium is borderline retarded.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

This article says that not only attendance is down, but TV viewers too. College football seems to have peaked and declining in popularity.http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21597895/in-era-of-technological-financial-change-has-college-football-peaked

Ticket price.

Tickets were free for the SMU game today. Raising ticket prices when you are having trouble getting people to the game already? Sounds like that isn't an answer either.Ba5DCt8CcAICyGM.jpg

Using the snowstorm in Dallas that has almost 300,000 people with no power as your rationale for why USF shouldn't build a stadium is borderline retarded.

You're being generous with your borderline.

How retarded is it to think with building a new stadium will bring fans in when Alabama is worried about attendance?