Is it time for OCS?

BrahmanBullzzz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

OCS is a bad investment. Attendance across college football continues to decline. With high ticket prices, people would rather sit at home in front of their HDTV. As of the end of last year, that was across all conferences. The SEC started trying to make the game experience like the at home one by airing multiple angle replays to be more like home. So its not the game atmosphere with drunk, rowdy students people want, its comfort, affordability and a multimedia presentation from multiple angles that they get at home.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

Texas AM - $450M upgrade!!

http://college-football.si.com/2013/11/13/texas-am-kyle-field-renovations/

Edited by atl86bull

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

OCS is a bad investment. Attendance across college football continues to decline. With high ticket prices, people would rather sit at home in front of their HDTV. As of the end of last year, that was across all conferences. The SEC started trying to make the game experience like the at home one by airing multiple angle replays to be more like home. So its not the game atmosphere with drunk, rowdy students people want, its comfort, affordability and a multimedia presentation from multiple angles that they get at home.

I'm glad there aren't more people who think like you...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm glad there aren't more people who think like you...

But, man, he can defend the cripes outta Skippy, UCF, and recruiting Elijah Ironside! :D  I can't wait until USF has a quality, Minnesota-esque OCS.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

SportsCenter â€@SportsCenter 2m

Temple University cancels 7 of 24 sports programs, including baseball & track, to boost funding for remaining ones. (via @PhillyInquirer)

Maybe not!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

Here is something that might spark interest. We have all been looking at building an OCS by the tennis courts or greek village. What about tearing down some existing structure and replacing it with our stadium. I looked at google maps and came up with a few suggestions. Based on roads (entry & exit), parking, & stadium view. Here are my suggestions based on the previous criteria. Maybe some of you all can think of some other pros and cons with these sites.

1. The parking area just east of Castor Pond. This site has all plus a good view over looking Castor pond & of the MLK plaza if you build a horse shoe style stadium. Castor pond could become the site where players take a dip after a major victory. Sorta like they do in golf.

2. The area where the School of Business is located.. This site is sandwiched between two large parking areas. Most of which is at the Sun Dome.

3. The area where USF post office is located, right at the base of the water tower. The best feature at this site would be the water tower looming over the stadium.

I'm not a real technical guy but maybe some could put that picture of the campus back up and put the Citrus bowl picture in these three spots.

Speaking to some people at Planning when I was working at USF, the tennis court area is the unofficially designated place.

1   They are planning on builting more dorms there.  Remember, they are planning on having more student residents on campus to get a residental campus status (for AAU).  There are already long term plans set.

2.   The campus has "zones"  they plan on keeping athletics as together as possible.  The area you mention is basically the infrastructure zone.  This area with fill in as bigger buildings are built to handle increasing needs as the campus grows.

3.  While nearby, this wont be done.  They just spend money on the BSN expansion, and plan on further improvements.  Wayyyyyyyyy to costly.  Remember, your paying to tear down a major building (and expansion) and now you have to build ANOTHER building on campus to takes its place.  Plus now you have to find a location on campus where real estate is greatly diminishing

I can corroborate this. At a Staff campus planning meeting a year ago, someone asked "Where's the football stadium going"... the person with facilities construction said "Where the tennis courts are now".

Edited by Bova-Fett

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I'm fine with the tennis court area. Near housing and still in the athletics zone, provides students NO EXCUSES to go to the games, and tailgating around the Greek housing and dorms should be solid, and when they build a parking garage or two near the Sun Dome and perhaps another area, tailgating will be all over campus, just like it was at UCF and at Michigan State, and at Florida, and you get the point. Alumni may end up tailgating in the closer areas near the stadium, and students and younger alumni/fresh grads may end up sprawled throughout campus in the meadows and parks and other areas and each area will have its own flavor. If you want to be rowdy, you can tailgate here, here, or here.

I always thought demolishing the Pizzo elementary in the southeast corner was a good spot years ago, since that school is around 20 years old now and they could fill in the area south/southeast of the Sun Dome and baseball fields. And there's prime land across fowler next to MOSI for that elementary school (which i know is to be used for research park area stuff).

Build it semi-horseshoe, enclose the horseshoe at the bottom-most level with berm or something (or a nice bull-walk entrance [stealing idea from Clemson - touch the bull statue as you come down the hill]), make it 50K and it'll have a slight view of downtown Tampa on a non-hazy afternoon/evening. Brick it like the rest of athletics, use the green/teal overhangs, and make it green/gold inside and there you have it.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,672
  • Days Won:  25

I heard once, "If you build it, they will come."

I think that now it is imperative that we build a stadium. I think that USF will lag farther and farther behind the competition if we don't.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  2

Why is it that we have that mega page 'Realignment Rumors, Conjecture & Superstition' thread, but we don't do the same for the topic of OCS? Why are the two subjects moderated differently? Seems like having one giant corral for the dead horse herd would be the way to go. 'Cause until the stadium gets built - or there's a firm decision not to...this subject is gonna be around. Much in the same way that as long as there's some disdain for the AAC and a yearning to sit at the big people's table, that 'Realignment & Rumor' thread is gonna continue to see visitation.

The main reason is that the OCS topic comes up so sporadically that there's usually a ton of pages in between threads and you've got newer members who haven't had the pleasure of hashing it out ..... but I think it's a very good point. I hearby decree that this is the official OCS Rumors, Conjecture & Superstition thread and all future threads dealing with the mythical aspects of our OCS will be merged into it.
Why not just pin it to the top of the threads? That way it's always in one spot and can be removed at the end of its lifespan. Given the redundancy of the text in place, wouldn't that be a good starting point for anyone who is late to TBP?
Back in the day we had JimUSFSig's OCS piece pinned at top but then the subject died for a couple years.

I see nothing wrong with the subject routinely surfacing. The oldtimers should be able to handle it.

I am not so sure, Brad.  Every time it returns, I feel like "Brad" from the movie "Bachelor Party".

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

SportsCenter â€@SportsCenter 2m

Temple University cancels 7 of 24 sports programs, including baseball & track, to boost funding for remaining ones. (via @PhillyInquirer)

Maybe not!

Canceled track? Bill Cosby will be displeased.