Is it time for OCS?

BrahmanBullzzz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

on the bright side we have the benefit of this discussion. I live in Miami now and listening to my UMiami friends discuss this topic is sad, especially when FIU has such a facility on campus.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

I guess a proper analogy would have been saying the atmosphere for tailgating is good at Southern Miss, UTEP, or New Mexico State. :lol:

What else is there to do in Hattiesburg, Las Cruces, or El Paso on game day/night besides... tobacco spitting championships, cow chip tossing contests, or rattlesnake hunts???

I wish we had those things...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

55K stadium (big enough, not so big as to leave us with too many empty seats if we suck).  Make it a tad bit more solid than the Aluminum Bowl at UCF XD  Something with a lot more Green and Gold than we have right now.  Ray Jay is alright when the opponent is big-time and we are doing well, but you really can't claim it as our own.  The signs and banners are all too temporary.  It feels like a neutral site game.  FSU last year?  Well the house was packed alright, but more-so with Garnet than Green.  UM this year?  Same thing.  It would be nice to have a place we can showcase to recruits and a national audience that is actually on Campus.

And in the future we can add on to it if need be to make room for more fans.  We can set the foundation for a new program.  Make it interesting, a museum or shrine to USF Football.  Make it a place we can honor All-Americans, Award Winners, and great teams.  (Not a whole lot we can work with right now, but we can dream right?)  Make it a place we can tailgate around and make our own, somewhere students can walk to so we can attend games  (I agree, parking needs to be fixed on campus first though XD).  It could be the new centerpiece to USF athletics.  I like the idea.  There is quite a bit to work with here and we won't have to pay the Bucs organization anymore.  More money for us in the long run (maybe if all goes well financially).

• Topic Count:  421
  • Content Count:  9,779
  • Days Won:  8

I will answer with a complete sentence.

Yes, it is time for an on campus stadium.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, let's start the funding campaign!

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Yes, I would love to have a OCS like Minnesota's new stadium. But we are forgetting one thing now. When we were talking about building something like that, the BIG EAST was part of the BCS collecting tons of money for our school. Now, USF is in the AAC and the TV contract is giving us a drop off in money from what we had coming in. There is no way that I think USF will try to build a gem like Minnesota's now giving the circumstances.  I believe USF needs to look into how Colorado St and Houston are doing it. That is more of our price range right now. Now maybe just maybe, USF has something going on behind the scenes.  Like an invitation to the BIG 12 on the horizon ( yeah I know wishful thinking).  A potential invite to the P5 is the only way that I can see USF attempt to build an OCS like the Gophers. 

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't think we NEED an on campus stadium. It would be nice to have one though.

The "Pro" RJS crowd has dwindled over the years. It's a great venue, but way too big and way too neutral feeling.

Even when we were "averaging" 45-50k, the crowds were more in the 30s range anyway. The goal should be to build a 45-50k seat stadium on campus. I believe the powers that be agree.

I wouldn't be shocked if something is announced in the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

In this environment where the "haves" continue to consolidate and grab all the money, prestige and power, It's a calculated risk to wait 5 years to make an announcement. . . . . Maybe we wait to see if minor league college football is even viable.

College sports is in heavy flux. Never mind the compensation of players issue that won't go away and the fact trial lawyers are about do to football what it did to tobacco regarding the concussion issue.

• Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

I think if they are going to start anything the time is now.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

The best time to start a fundraising campaign for an OCS would be when the team is playing well again. Morale and impulse donations would likely be higher, IMHO.