Is it time for OCS?

BrahmanBullzzz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Build a stadium like Houston for 45k to 50k capacity with the ability to expand later. It cost around 105 million, so it might be affordable with selling the stadium name rights to a sponsor and money from concessions. I used to think ray jay was fine till recently. The atmosphere just isn't there. For land, how about building it where the university square mall is?

That stadium looks like it would blow away in a stiff wind.

newslider2.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

While I am certainly not advocating that USF build a glorified high school stadium, I do think we need to put things into perspective. If we want an iconic cathedral on the campus then we might be waiting too long. These stadiums are not built overnight we do not have a concrete commitment or even a fundraising effort at this time. I think a fair question to ask is how long can USF afford to wait?

We continue to be the last holdout in terms of the public universities in the state of Florida with regards to the on campus facility. UCF has already started their efforts to expand Bright House Networks Stadium. http://ucfgoldenknightsclub.com/facility-projects/football-expansion/

Yes, winning helps but it is foolish to believe that the atmosphere up in Orlando and ESPNs love affair with their facilities isn’t helping recruiting, attendance, and gameday experience. Brighthouse Networks Stadium was certainly the right decision for UCF.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/blogs/jon-busdeker/os-ucf-football-game-day,0,3741777.post

We can only hope to create this atmosphere one day.

Times have changed. Today quick is better than perfect, in business they talk about the minimum viable product. Looking across the country we can see that virtually every other university has followed this model, build an on campus stadium then expand as needed. The longer we wait the more we fall behind. A 40-50K bare bones stadium with the ability to expand and upgrade in the future would be the perfect solution, and cost nowhere near the visions of grandeur we had just several years ago. The goal is to get masses of people on the campus, create a campus atmosphere, build our own campus traditions, and improve the game day football experience, these can all be accomplished with a bare bones stadium. The facility can then be expanded and upgraded in the future and maybe in our lifetime that iconic cathedral might emerge, but right now the goal should be to get onto the campus.

Just to clarify a key point up there. UCF didn't just decide to build BHNS, they built it for the same reason the vast majority of other universities that have an OCS did .... they're only other options at the time were sharing local high school stadiums.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

You dont have to pay to park at UCF games...most games are on saturday when you have less students around so people can park on campus...

same as most schools with an OCS...you want people walking around your campus...

the only problem Ive ever had on USFs campus was getting out, no problem getting in...if you guys get an OCS you need cops to let people out and over ride your seriously short lights to get out...UCF doesnt have that issue IMO...(went to the ron paul rally last year and it took 45 minutes to get out of domes parking lot and onto the main road, mostly because the lights were short IMO)

people can trash UCFs stadium all they want, the game day atmosphere beats USFs and Miami's (and im from miami) by bunches...its cool to walk around the campus as opposed to being bothered by vagrants on MLK...Also our stadium was designed to be added on to and upgraded, much like doak campbell...

If someone asked if i would prefer to wait 10-20 years to raise funds for for a stadium that is never going to be as good as i want it to be because UCF is not UF or texas and does not have their boosters, or get into an OCS right now and it isnt a 600 mill stadium, i pick the OCS and let them add on later...JMO...

going to games since 1997, playing in the bucs stadium always felt "generic"

It's not our home, we drape banners over it and of course they try their best to accommodate, but it doesn't feel like home

We are playing in the Bucs stadium. Walking around and seeing 2/3rds of the concessions closed up doesn't help much either.

I will say that the Bucs stadium does appeal more to alumni than students, and it definitely appeals to "away crowds". It's neutral, I've rarely heard instances of vandalism or car damage to visiting team's cars, so it's "neutral"

But it doesn't feel like home. It was nice in 1999 when we moved into it, before they started draping the sponsorship banners over the wall, because we made our own banners and draped them.

The one thing that scares the hell out of me, is how USF handles parking. Knowing USF and "parking services", they'd have a stadium that holds 50,000 people, with enough spaces to accommodate about 1/3rd that, and surround the stadium with dozens of "faculty lots" which would ALL be empty after 4pm. Of course, attempting to park in the faculty lots would end up getting your car towed, so you'd end up having to park at the University Mall and walking 3 miles to the stadium.

Sun Dome / Gym Parking Lot during the first week of class - now multiple that catastrophe times 50

When you consider how USF has historically handled "parking", and the absolute nightmare they would create, I think RJS seems like a pretty **** good alternative than dealing with USF's parking services

http://usfparkingservices.com/

You know the horror you feel when it's the first week of class, you see this on the horizon? Multiply it times 50

USF-Sundome_350x200.jpg

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  279
  • Days Won:  2

While I am certainly not advocating that USF build a glorified high school stadium, I do think we need to put things into perspective. If we want an iconic cathedral on the campus then we might be waiting too long. These stadiums are not built overnight we do not have a concrete commitment or even a fundraising effort at this time. I think a fair question to ask is how long can USF afford to wait?

We continue to be the last holdout in terms of the public universities in the state of Florida with regards to the on campus facility. UCF has already started their efforts to expand Bright House Networks Stadium. http://ucfgoldenknightsclub.com/facility-projects/football-expansion/

Yes, winning helps but it is foolish to believe that the atmosphere up in Orlando and ESPNs love affair with their facilities isn’t helping recruiting, attendance, and gameday experience. Brighthouse Networks Stadium was certainly the right decision for UCF.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/blogs/jon-busdeker/os-ucf-football-game-day,0,3741777.post

Times have changed. Today quick is better than perfect, in business they talk about the minimum viable product. Looking across the country we can see that virtually every other university has followed this model, build an on campus stadium then expand as needed. The longer we wait the more we fall behind. A 40-50K bare bones stadium with the ability to expand and upgrade in the future would be the perfect solution, and cost nowhere near the visions of grandeur we had just several years ago. The goal is to get masses of people on the campus, create a campus atmosphere, build our own campus traditions, and improve the game day football experience, these can all be accomplished with a bare bones stadium. The facility can then be expanded and upgraded in the future and maybe in our lifetime that iconic cathedral might emerge, but right now the goal should be to get onto the campus.

Great post, fully agree.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

Just to clarify a key point up there. UCF didn't just decide to build BHNS, they built it for the same reason the vast majority of other universities that have an OCS did .... they're only other options at the time were sharing local high school stadiums.

I thought the Citrus bowl could have been renovated, although I didn't keep up with all of their options so maybe it wasn't an option.

Regardless, I don't think I've ever heard anyone at USF say that RJS was their long-term solution and that an OCS wasn't necessary.  Even when CJL waxed poetic on how much recruits loved playing in an NFL stadium.  I think (I hope) USF appreciates the values of having an OCS.  

We don't need something like the swamp or Doak Campbell - something smaller and more affordable would be perfect given the current state of the program (small season-ticket base and limited revenue).  But I think an OCS is ultimately necessary, even with an excellent pirate ship stadium in town. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

Just sayin', what better way to celebrate 20 years of bulls football than opening that OCS in 2017 (coincidentally the first season after the current rayjay lease ends).

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

Just sayin', what better way to celebrate 20 years of bulls football than opening that OCS in 2017 (coincidentally the first season after the current rayjay lease ends).

Makes perfect sense.  Which is why it'll never happen.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  577
  • Content Count:  8,177
  • Days Won:  6

Makes perfect sense.  Which is why it'll never happen.  

QFT

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

I think its also fair to wait to see how much the fanbase continues to dwindle as the team continues to lose. If the fanbase won't support a team during a losing spell, which all programs experience, why spend hundreds of millions and incur the debt that can't be serviced through ticket sales?  Does anyone think that a new stadium in itself is enough to put butts in the seat? And if they add a PSL, you have to pay hundreds or thousands before you can even buy a season ticket.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I think its also fair to wait to see how much the fanbase continues to dwindle as the team continues to lose. If the fanbase won't support a team during a losing spell, which all programs experience, why spend hundreds of millions and incur the debt that can't be serviced through ticket sales?  Does anyone think that a new stadium in itself is enough to put butts in the seat? And if they add a PSL, you have to pay hundreds or thousands before you can even buy a season ticket.

Doubt that things would change to PSL's from the current donor structure.

I do think that a new stadium would put butts in seats, especially when you'd be talking about a smaller stadium and a more difficult time getting seats, especially when we start winning more often (yes, that time will come again).