usf 10.5 dogs against houston

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  111
  • Days Won:  0

Does USF have a relationship with the Gators and/or Seminoles? I've never really heard aything negative about them except towards each other and Georgia.

Edited by cougar king

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

I agree Mike. If he can play effectively 1/3 of the game I would be happy.

as usf fans we have a high bar

for you gamblers

give the points and take houston

houston/fsu teaser looks good this week

Edited by smazza

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

BTW, off topic:  I see a lot of 3 fingered, quasi-"shocker" hand signs by Houston.  What's the significance?

That's our cougar paw hand sign.  Here's the official story from the UH website...

Cougar Hand Sign

In Texas, all of the major universities have adopted a hand sign which signifies to all other Texans where your loyalties lie. The Cougar Hand Sign is no different. Although the original hand sign was the "V" for Victory until 1965, events conspired and a new hand sign was adopted. The inaugural football game between University of Houston and University of Texas during the 1953 campaign witnessed the birth of a blood rivalry between the state's two largest universities at that time. However, it also led to the adoption of another Cougar Hand Sign. During her transport from Houston to Austin, one of the fingers on Shasta's paw was severed when the cage door was closed. As the University of Texas partisans and players caught wind of the accident, they mimicked the animal by bending their thumb over the ring finger against their palm. This gesture implied that the Cougars were invalids. The Cougars would go on to lose the game 28-7.

The cougar faithful, still mindful of the stinging defeat suffered 15 years earlier, never forgot the taunting that they received. The next time the two teams faced off (1968... a whole 15 years later), UH tied UT 20-20. At that point, the students thought there might be a bit of magic in that sign, and the hand sign was adopted replacing the "V".

In 1976, the Cougars first football season in the Southwest Conference, the Coogs & Horns met for the third time ever. The Coogs put a beating on the Longhorns that they have yet to forget 30-0 (a.k.a.the "Dad's Day Massacre") in front of the largest crowd to assemble in Memorial Stadium at that time. That victory ended the Longhorns famed winning streak, and the embarrassment also signaled the end of legendary UT Coach Darryl K. Royal's career. After that victory, the Cougar Hand Sign became firmly entrenched.

*Important Note: Only one hand is to be held aloft when making the Cougar Hand Sign.

While that is the official story, not everyone believes that is the true origin.  We actually had a challenge issued to find the earliest picture of the hand sign.  I believe the earliest picture was from the mid-1970s.  Definitely nothing from 1968.  It was confirmed that the cougar was injured, so it is possible.

Another theory that some say they were taught at freshmen orientation in the 1970s is that the fingers form a "UH" when done correctly.

The final theory is that you take the Texas Longhorns hand sign and add the middle finger.  Kind of flipping off UT.  Even if not true, many of us going back to the SWC days like that explanation.

Take your pick on which origin story you like, but we do call it the Cougar paw.

Excellent answer!  Pretty cool history...tho' the adding the middle finger part is the funniest & most defiant.  Thanks

Does USF have a relationship with the Gators and/or Seminoles? I've never really heard aything negative about them except towards each other and Georgia.

Most don't like "The Big 3", FSU, UF and UM.  We beat FSU and UM a few years back, but lost our only game to UF.  We're not on their level recruiting wise, but we've been in the 50s the last 6-7 years, with a class or 2 breaking 30.  Despite our terrible year, we're Top 50, with some potential big catches late.  The appeal?  I suspect it's clear that Coach Taggart has shown that if you can make an impact early, you WILL play.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,382
  • Days Won:  8

Stats are helpful, and I think by almost any measure one team is clearly better. However, on paper Cincinnati is a better team than we are as well. We're not a horrible team overall at this point (decent special teams, serviceable defense), we're just really, really bad on offense. If the D can get a score or two and offense can produce even a little, don't count us out. Many more unexpected things have happened in our history.

Line is now 17, and could still drift up. 10 was a no brainer.  17 is a little trickier, as we have an op to keep it closer than that, especially if Shaw can produce, and Tice/Davis can spell him productively.

FSU is a 20+ fav over UM.  Could be a 70+ point game, total.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think this is a make or break game for us.  We win, and we still have a shot at salvaging the season; we lose, and it's time to start thinking about next year.

I think this is a make or break game for us.  We win, and we still have a shot at salvaging the season; we lose, and it's time to start thinking about next year.

Even if we win, we'd still have to beat high scoring SMU (shoot outs are not our friend) and Memphis (could be the only game we're favored in for the rest of the season)...then, after that 3 game win streak, have to beat a UCF team that is much better than we are and has been champing at the bit to kill us OR beat Rutgers in New Joisy to go to a bowl.  Them's long odds...but it'd be amazing if we did.  Of course, 5 wins would be big at this point, but then we'd just be gnashing all year about how we only had to be McNeese or FAU to go bowling (ugh!)

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

That's why i said a shot.  If we lose we have no chance.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Tend to agree. A winning record in the conference was all but written off after game 1, so I'll take what we have until we don't have it anymore.