usf 10.5 dogs against houston

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Days Won:  0

The way I see it, Houston will be stacking the box a lot. I kinda want to see Mike White air it out.... a lot.... I think we can turn heads after this game. 

We lead the nation in interceptions (all of our starters in the secondary and some of their backups have interceptions) , forced fumbles, takeaways and turnover margin (+20). So you may not want that.

Yeah, but you're boom-bust. We use a lot of tight end action in our offense. I don't know much about Mike White yet, but if you keep letting him dump off passes over the middle to the tight end, that's going to chew up all sorts of clock. All we have to do is just complete a lot of short passes and room will open for the running game-and Shaw, Davis, and Tice will be able to score on you in the red zone when you're tired. 

A time of possession and tiring the UH defense argument?  I enjoy these so much.  UH is 113th in the nation in time of possession, and we've been horrible at time of possession since Art Briles left, and yet we win.  Teams actually do better when we lead time of possession because we're not scoring in under 2 minutes which is our usual.

As for tiring our defense is out...  only 2 teams have scored double digits in the 2nd half on UH:  Rice and BYU, both at 13 points.  One of Rice's TDs was on a blocked FG.  We have 5 fourth quarter shutouts and 2 second half shutouts.  So if you want to score, your best chance is early.

Our defense gets a bad rap because of how poorly it ranks in yards per game (#94 at 440 YPG), but I'll take giving up that many yards as long as we're top 40 in points allowed (#32 at 22.3 PPG) and #1 in turnovers gained and turnover margin.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  3,136
  • Days Won:  7

The way I see it, Houston will be stacking the box a lot. I kinda want to see Mike White air it out.... a lot.... I think we can turn heads after this game. 

We lead the nation in interceptions (all of our starters in the secondary and some of their backups have interceptions) , forced fumbles, takeaways and turnover margin (+20). So you may not want that.

Yeah, but you're boom-bust. We use a lot of tight end action in our offense. I don't know much about Mike White yet, but if you keep letting him dump off passes over the middle to the tight end, that's going to chew up all sorts of clock. All we have to do is just complete a lot of short passes and room will open for the running game-and Shaw, Davis, and Tice will be able to score on you in the red zone when you're tired. 

A time of possession and tiring the UH defense argument?  I enjoy these so much.  UH is 113th in the nation in time of possession, and we've been horrible at time of possession since Art Briles left, and yet we win.  Teams actually do better when we lead time of possession because we're not scoring in under 2 minutes which is our usual.

As for tiring our defense is out...  only 2 teams have scored double digits in the 2nd half on UH:  Rice and BYU, both at 13 points.  One of Rice's TDs was on a blocked FG.  We have 5 fourth quarter shutouts and 2 second half shutouts.  So if you want to score, your best chance is early.

Our defense gets a bad rap because of how poorly it ranks in yards per game (#94 at 440 YPG), but I'll take giving up that many yards as long as we're top 40 in points allowed (#32 at 22.3 PPG) and #1 in turnovers gained and turnover margin.

Well, if it's blocked field goals you want, I'm sure Mike McFarland will be happy to be oblige. 

I took a look at your games against Rice and BYU.  You want to know what they also have in common with us? Quality running games. I'm not going to pretend we're on their level, but I will say that we have good running backs and a propensity for running the ball. Shaw is highly underrated-he nearly cleared 100 yards against the best run defense in the country in Michigan State. He was clearly missed against UL. I believe him and Tice will be able to pound the ball in the second half, assuming you are right and we score effectively in the first. 

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Mike white will turn heads.

Call me crazy but i wouldnt be shocked to see a 38-31 final score on this one

And then you turned the Xbox off..

Sorry im too much of a geek to score only in the 30s on xbox.

Besides im converting to playstation

Well, if it's blocked field goals you want, I'm sure Mike McFarland will be happy to be oblige. 

I took a look at your games against Rice and BYU.  You want to know what they also have in common with us? Quality running games. I'm not going to pretend we're on their level, but I will say that we have good running backs and a propensity for running the ball. Shaw is highly underrated-he nearly cleared 100 yards against the best run defense in the country in Michigan State. He was clearly missed against UL. I believe him and Tice will be able to pound the ball in the second half, assuming you are right and we score effectively in the first. 

I will honestly say I haven't seen a USF game this season so I don't know about your running game.  I do see that you're 111th in the nation in the rushing at 108.6 YPG.  I also see you're #102 in fumbles (although that might be RBs, QBs, or WRs).   I've seen teams with good RBs, but bad running games/teams.  So help me understand how you're running game should be of concern.  As you said BYU and Rice are good running games at #14 and #15 in the country.  That's quite a difference from #111.  In fact every FBS team on our schedule is better than #111 in rushing.

UH's run defense is #58, only 1 spot behind USF.  And our rushing offense is #62 at 172 YPG.  Shouldn't you be just as concerned about UH's running game?

I'd be more concerned if you had a good passing offense.  That's where our defense really fails at #109.  But it helps that we're #1 in the nation in interceptions per game.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Our best running back, marcus shaw, got hurt against cincy and hasnt played since. If he plays and is close enough to 100%, yes i would be concerned.

I dont see him playing tho

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Rice and BYU scored 13 points in the second half against UH? We've scored more than 13 points in 3 games this year. So there!

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Based on what we've seen so far this year, score should be around 41-10 Coogs.  Our O cant move the ball...Our D can hit you but they cant get off the field on 3rd downs...Coogs O is rolling right now...Coogs D is below avg.

The unknown factor coming in to Thursday will be our new QB-White and our MVP at RB-Shaw. Add maybe Robbins at WR

Our best running back, marcus shaw, got hurt against cincy and hasnt played since. If he plays and is close enough to 100%, yes i would be concerned.

I dont see him playing tho

Thansk for the update.  That's why I read these boards, to find info without having to search all kinds of news reports and to get the fan perspective.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  114

NTXCoog has some great points. Let's just hope that White shows us more then our other QB's have all season and Shaw returns. I think if that happens, you can throw stats out the window, bc you would be playing a different team then you see on paper. Houston is heavily favored, but so was Cincy and you never know what Taggart and company are brewing up this week to get the offense going a little. What if Lamar Robbins gives us the speed and hands we need at WR to spark the offense? What if Shaw is back and Taggart puts Willie Davis out wide, because he showed he can make catches. These are all what if's, but you can't always just look at stats; you also have to look at what the casual fan doesn't know and that is the changes that are coming.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Respectfully.

They are gonna stack the box against an OL that couldn't  pass block a koala bear. with a first time starting QB behind them?. And you want to throw deep? The kid would get killed.

Hit the flats and some  screens. That'll slow em down.