Mike White is starting against Houston

theman123

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  420
  • Content Count:  9,778
  • Days Won:  8

White must be showing some good progress to burn his redshirt. I'm all for it, let the best QB play.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Wasn't the game Grothe made his debut in vs. McNeese State? And didn't we get in some trouble score-wise, that he bailed us out of?

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

I probably would have stuck with Bench and never let Eveld see the field again, but I understand the decision to go with White.  CWT is a desperate man looking for any spark whatsoever.  I hope it works out.  I still remember in 2006 when Pat Julmiste went down in the opener.  Julmiste, up until this year, had been one of the worst QB's in USF history.  They brought in Grothe and the rest is history.  He just had "it", and you could tell it immediately.  Here's hoping we have found a diamond in the rough.

Are you still trying to pass of this convoluted version of USF football history?

The first game of the 2006 season was against an FCS team (1-AA then) and the game plan itself called for Julmiste to start and Grothe to come in for the second half. It was going to happen even without the injury--- which only prompted Grothe to come in a little earlier than planned.

It was a little ironic that in the Papa John's Bowl that year, Grothe got us a nice lead and then suffered an injury allowing Pat Julmiste to finish up the game and his Bulls career on the field.

Julmiste was not god's gift to the QB position but he had his moments. That 2005 season was not about the QB anyway-- it was all about Andre Hall. I really don't understand why he gets crapped on even 7 years later by people who probably couldn't carry his jock. There were games where if not for Julmiste, we would have lost-- TCU and ECU are prime examples. I guess it is entirely possible that you are remember the exploits of Ronnie Banks-- who was very bad and who Julmiste took the reigns from.

Julmiste was terrible except for a couple games like TCU. However Leavitt chose to start him coming out of camp. At that point no one knew what we had with Grothe.   Julmiste was a bad passer but he could run the ball. And yes I remember banks also. I remember every QB back to Barnhart unlike some others on here. I don't remember Leavitt saying grothe would at second half so if that's true I was wrong. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

Here's my idea of what happened during Louisville... (not rocket science, just my understanding)..

Leading up to the game Taggart has been seeing big strides with White during practices.  Every practice he thinks more and more that White could lead this team effectively.  Up until Saturday though, Taggart remains commited to Evald/Bench because they seem capable and the best option for us to win.  Evald goes down and is probably done for the rest of the season. Bench comes back to the game after missing two games and still cannot quite get the offense together.  With only 7 minutes left in the complete annihilation of USF by Louisville, Taggart says I am going to make a statement to the fanbase and the team... "If you can not get your job done, you will be benched. I will go with true freshman any day if they are showing me that they can get the job done."  I do not see his move as "desperate" or trying anything to "keep his job" as many fans have suggested.  Taggart must believe that White is good enough now to lead the offense and I trust him.  I am sure that Taggart would have wanted Mike to start at the beginning of the season but he was just too new to the offense.  Taggart would not put a guy in there because he is in panic mode.  There have been stories where Taggart was quoted saying that White is making it hard for him to redshirt.  I am glad that Taggart is getting Mike ready for success next season by starting him now.  The rest of the schedule is doable for a true-freshman QB, with the exception of UCF, which I am hoping MW will be experienced and ready for that defense by then.  I guarentee that MW will be a stud by the start of next season.  I just pray that he remains healthy so that we can see him progress these last 5 games.   With that said, if we are in a situation where we are regretting this decision by 2017, I will be glad and also disturbed.  Glad that MW made such an impact that we will miss him, disturbed that we have not recruited quality QBs to follow.

Go Bulls!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  420
  • Content Count:  9,778

Taggart is trying to white out the first half of the season.

I haven't seen very many people saying anything about CWT being on a hot seat or his job in any way in jeopardy by users on this message board.

I don't think there is anything so drama laden like you are suggesting either-- he is working the guys on his team and following their progress. I have heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of the coaches that they almost sent White into the game at UConn but one of the coaches pulled him back at the last minute. This was coming eventually. We won that game-- so it all worked there. I doubt even with White starting we had any real shot at UL.

I just hope he has some decent success when we play Houston

Oh we would have had a zero chance at UL if White started.  That is why it had to come at the end after that INT.  It was certainly a "drama laden" statement by the coaching staff.  Why else would you take out a perfectly healthy 2nd string QB at the end of a blowout? It was certainly not to keep him healthy. Matt Floyd would have been good enough for that. 

We will have great success at Houston.  Just bullieve it and it will be. 

Edited by WeWere#2Once

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Unless and until Taggart tells us, none of us have the foggiest idea what Taggart is thinking with regard to White and his reasons for making the move now.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I haven't seen very many people saying anything about CWT being on a hot seat or his job in any way in jeopardy by users on this message board.

I don't think there is anything so drama laden like you are suggesting either-- he is working the guys on his team and following their progress. I have heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of the coaches that they almost sent White into the game at UConn but one of the coaches pulled him back at the last minute. This was coming eventually. We won that game-- so it all worked there. I doubt even with White starting we had any real shot at UL.

Oh we would have had a zero chance at UL if White started.  That is why it had to come at the end after that INT.  It was certainly a "drama laden" statement by the coaching staff.  Why else would you take out a perfectly healthy 2nd string QB at the end of a blowout? It was certainly not to keep him healthy. Matt Floyd would have been good enough for that. 

bench was and is far from perfectly healthy. he can stand in the pocket but he cant run well and that is a huge part of his game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

so the guy with that huge brace on his knee was perfectly healthy to you?

And the guy with the knee brace wasn't the 2nd string qb either ...

@TBTimes_Bulls: #USF radio guy, @arperlman, "can confirm Steven Bench is fully healthy." ... My conjecture: White's your QB here on out.

I was basing my assessment of what healthy meant by this tweet by JK. Even Taggart said in his press that he didn't have to play him. He wanted to. I was basing my post on these pieces of evidence, that's all. I have seen a lot of posts by angry fans demanding to hear his logic in this move. I feel that it was a justified move and doesn't warrant all of this criticism and attacks.