Mike White is starting against Houston

theman123

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

I think you guys are missing the point.    White was never coached by Skip Holtz, so that makes him a Taggart guy.   It's the same reason we all viewed B.J. as Leavitts guy still even after he was gone.   As long as White has'nt been tainted by Skip Holtz's awful coaching then I really could'nt care less who recruited him.

Holtz never even offered him.  Yeah, Scott was talking to him, but there was no offer until Taggart made it happen.  He's Taggart's guy.  End of story.

And no doubt B.J. was a Leavitt guy, his first game starting was in 2009 at FSU when Leavitt was still here.  That's not even debatable.  

Again, if the ten minutes Taggart spent evaluating White makes you think he's a Taggart guy and that makes you happy, go for it.

But Holtz and staff were clearly planning to offer him and doing their due diligence before hand.  He wasn't a guy on Taggart's radar before he stepped on the USF campus.

So I think it is ridiculous to call him a Taggart recruit.  But why give Holtz credit for anything at all, because he is clearly the root of all evil.

How do you know? Maybe Scott had been pushing but meeting resistance. Bottom line is you need some sort of minimal criteria to label someone a particular HC's "recruit" and it only makes sense for that to be an offer ... and fwiw, I'm not part of the Skip=Anti-Christ gang.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

It would depend on the NCAA's interpretation of "particular segment of the student body" but yes, he could pull it off ...

How about dudes who can run 4.4 40s and catch a pass and play the oboe? Is that a "particular segment of the student body" or am I reaching?

I thought the same thing .... until I noticed this bs: determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. 

Better?

You may want to pick an even more obscure instrument ... Skip doesn't have the 100's to throw around like Saban does.

Jew's harp?

That would certainly meet the obscure part .... 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

You have to be offered a scholarship to be considered a HC's recruit

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

If the coach does not say, "Would you like to play for me?", he is just scouting.

Edited by DELdaBull

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think you guys are missing the point.    White was never coached by Skip Holtz, so that makes him a Taggart guy.   It's the same reason we all viewed B.J. as Leavitts guy still even after he was gone.   As long as White has'nt been tainted by Skip Holtz's awful coaching then I really could'nt care less who recruited him.

Holtz never even offered him.  Yeah, Scott was talking to him, but there was no offer until Taggart made it happen.  He's Taggart's guy.  End of story.

And no doubt B.J. was a Leavitt guy, his first game starting was in 2009 at FSU when Leavitt was still here.  That's not even debatable.  

Again, if the ten minutes Taggart spent evaluating White makes you think he's a Taggart guy and that makes you happy, go for it.

But Holtz and staff were clearly planning to offer him and doing their due diligence before hand.  He wasn't a guy on Taggart's radar before he stepped on the USF campus.

So I think it is ridiculous to call him a Taggart recruit.  But why give Holtz credit for anything at all, because he is clearly the root of all evil.

So even though White didn't have an offer from Holtz, even though they were "clearly planning" to offer him ( :rolleyes: ), I'm the one who's reaching even though I've stated the fact that Taggart was the one who pulled the trigger on the offer.  

Got it.  

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

How do you know? Maybe Scott had been pushing but meeting resistance. Bottom line is you need some sort of minimal criteria to label someone a particular HC's "recruit" and it only makes sense for that to be an offer ... and fwiw, I'm not part of the Skip=Anti-Christ gang.

My criteria is who did all the work.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I guess its much more believable to think that White had no interest in USF, Skip and staff did zero to impress him, and it was only by the grace of God that CWT turned poor, overlooked, Mike White into a recruit by offering him. An offer that he accepted solely based on a single phone call from a head coach on his first day of work.

Edited by JTrue

So even though White didn't have an offer from Holtz, even though they were "clearly planning" to offer him ( :rolleyes: ), I'm the one who's reaching even though I've stated the fact that Taggart was the one who pulled the trigger on the offer.  

Got it.  

What other QBs had verbally committed?  Who else was Holtz going to offer?  Scott got Taggart to immediately focus on White.  He didn't do that because the prior staff thought White stunk.

But I get that you don't want to give Holtz any credit for anything at all.

I guess its much more believable to think that White had no interest in USF, Skip and staff did zero to impress him, and it was only by the grace of God that CWT turned poor, overlooked, Mike White into a recruit by offering him. An offer that he accepted solely based on a single phone call from a head coach on his first day of work.

Yep, that's what they think.  

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Great pissing contest going on here!