Mike White is starting against Houston

theman123

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So whats it called when the coach brings you onto campus for a visit even without a scholarship offer? Can the coach just hand you envelopes full of cash since you're not a recruit? CWT is allowed to spend his money anyway he wants. If he wants to just hand out $100 bills to kids who happen to be on campus, thats his prerogative.

Those are prospective student-athletes and per NCAA bylaws, you can't hand them cash:

13.2 O ffers and Inducements.
13.2.1 G eneral Regulation. An institution’s staff member or any representative of its athletics interests
shall not be involved, directly or indirectly, in making arrangements for or giving or offering to give any financial
aid or other benefits to a prospective student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends, other than expressly permitted
by NCAA regulations. Receipt of a benefit by a prospective student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends is
not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is determined that the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s
prospective students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body (e.g., international
students, minority students) determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. [R] (Revised: 10/28/97,
11/1/00, 3/24/05)
13.2.1.1 Specific Prohibitions. Specifically prohibited financial aid, benefits and arrangements include, but
are not limited to, the following:
(a) An employment arrangement for a prospective student-athlete’s relatives;
( B) Gift of clothing or equipment;
© Co-signing of loans;
(d) Providing loans to a prospective student-athlete’s relatives or friends;
(e) Cash or like items;
(f ) Any tangible items, including merchandise;
(g) Free or reduced-cost services, rentals or purchases of any type;

I'm pretty sure JTrue was going for an anology there, not actual cash.

What "anology" would that be?

So whats it called when the coach brings you onto campus for a visit even without a scholarship offer? Can the coach just hand you envelopes full of cash since you're not a recruit? CWT is allowed to spend his money anyway he wants. If he wants to just hand out $100 bills to kids who happen to be on campus, thats his prerogative.

Those are prospective student-athletes and per NCAA bylaws, you can't hand them cash:

13.2.1 G eneral Regulation. An institution’s staff member or any representative of its athletics interests
shall not be involved, directly or indirectly, in making arrangements for or giving or offering to give any financial
aid or other benefits to a prospective student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends, other than expressly permitted
by NCAA regulations. Receipt of a benefit by a prospective student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends is
not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is determined that the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s
prospective students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body (e.g., international
students, minority students) determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. [R] (Revised: 10/28/97,
11/1/00, 3/24/05)
13.2.1.1 Specific Prohibitions. Specifically prohibited financial aid, benefits and arrangements include, but
© Co-signing of loans;
(e) Cash or like items;

So as long as he gives every 6'5" 330 pound kid on campus $100, he's golden.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think you guys are missing the point.    White was never coached by Skip Holtz, so that makes him a Taggart guy.   It's the same reason we all viewed B.J. as Leavitts guy still even after he was gone.   As long as White has'nt been tainted by Skip Holtz's awful coaching then I really could'nt care less who recruited him.

Holtz never even offered him.  Yeah, Scott was talking to him, but there was no offer until Taggart made it happen.  He's Taggart's guy.  End of story.

And no doubt B.J. was a Leavitt guy, his first game starting was in 2009 at FSU when Leavitt was still here.  That's not even debatable.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

11/1/00, 3/24/05)
© Co-signing of loans;
(e) Cash or like items;

I'm pretty sure JTrue was going for an anology there, not actual cash.

What "anology" would that be?

11/1/00, 3/24/05)
© Co-signing of loans;
(e) Cash or like items;

So as long as he gives every 6'5" 330 pound kid on campus $100, he's golden.

It would depend on the NCAA's interpretation of "particular segment of the student body" but yes, he could pull it off ...

It would depend on the NCAA's interpretation of "particular segment of the student body" but yes, he could pull it off ...

How about dudes who can run 4.4 40s and catch a pass? Is that a "particular segment of the student body" or am I reaching?

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I think you guys are missing the point.    White was never coached by Skip Holtz, so that makes him a Taggart guy.   It's the same reason we all viewed B.J. as Leavitts guy still even after he was gone.   As long as White has'nt been tainted by Skip Holtz's awful coaching then I really could'nt care less who recruited him.

Holtz never even offered him.  Yeah, Scott was talking to him, but there was no offer until Taggart made it happen.  He's Taggart's guy.  End of story.

And no doubt B.J. was a Leavitt guy, his first game starting was in 2009 at FSU when Leavitt was still here.  That's not even debatable.  

Again, if the ten minutes Taggart spent evaluating White makes you think he's a Taggart guy and that makes you happy, go for it.

But Holtz and staff were clearly planning to offer him and doing their due diligence before hand.  He wasn't a guy on Taggart's radar before he stepped on the USF campus.

So I think it is ridiculous to call him a Taggart recruit.  But why give Holtz credit for anything at all, because he is clearly the root of all evil.

Again, if the ten minutes Taggart spent evaluating White makes you think he's a Taggart guy and that makes you happy, go for it.

But Holtz and staff were clearly planning to offer him and doing their due diligence before hand.  He wasn't a guy on Taggart's radar before he stepped on the USF campus.

So I think it is ridiculous to call him a Taggart recruit.  But why give Holtz credit for anything at all, because he is clearly the root of all evil.

Just wait until his first pick 6 and this argument is dead.

How about dudes who can run 4.4 40s and catch a pass? Is that a "particular segment of the student body" or am I reaching?

I thought the same thing .... until I noticed this bs: determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. 

How about dudes who can run 4.4 40s and catch a pass and play the oboe? Is that a "particular segment of the student body" or am I reaching?

I thought the same thing .... until I noticed this bs: determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. 

Better?

How about dudes who can run 4.4 40s and catch a pass and play the oboe? Is that a "particular segment of the student body" or am I reaching?

Better?

You may want to pick an even more obscure instrument ... Skip doesn't have the 100's to throw around like Saban does.

Better?

You may want to pick an even more obscure instrument ... Skip doesn't have the 100's to throw around like Saban does.

Jew's harp?