Mike White is starting against Houston

theman123

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The thing with Bench is that he is better runner than White, so I can see CWT bringing him in for certain situations. 

Bench has -24 yards rushing on the year. not to mention a big bulky knee brace.

That includes sacks, so it really isn't an accurate number.

back out the sacks and he has 12 carries for 34 yards.

Exactly.

exactly what? he averages less than 3 yards per carry.

Eveld has a longer run than him this year. he also has more total yards rushing.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I keep reading about the short week. IMO that mostly applies to physical conditioning, which should not be an issue with White. As for game planning he will be in the same shape as everyone else. Time will tell.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

If Mike White plays much better on Thursday than our other 3 guys have, then besides being deliriously happy I will come here to eat crow. Hope you'll do the same.

By no means am I rooting against this kid, but he just doesn't have much help out there and it's a high pressure situation. My read is that CWT is letting him take his lumps and get some serious gametime experience, while also realizing that White can't be any worse than our other options. I think it's a smart coaching move...but one that will get us crushed on Thursday. And honestly--big picture--at this point I'm ok with that.

I'll tell you what if he doesn't complete at least 40% of his passes and doesn't have at least 1 score for us for every 2 scores(pick 6 or fumble for Td) for them then I will eat crow. that's all we were getting from the other guys BTW I have never said I know he is the asnwer only that I know the other guys aren't.

if he can just complete 50% of his passes and get us an offensive Td we are greatly improved.

BTW it won't get us anymore crushed with him than with any of the other guys.

Fair enough.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is quite possible that CWT has been planning to put White in there for a while, but, he wanted to wait until Shaw was back to give him the best chance for success. I don't think that this decision was based on Eveld getting hurt or Bench throwing an INT. My guess is that it's been in the works for a while. If CWT was intent on keeping the RS in tact, White would have been getting very few reps in practice and there is no way he'd be ready, but, I think they have been preparing for this and the timing is right with Shaw coming back.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

I keep reading about the short week. IMO that mostly applies to physical conditioning, which should not be an issue with White. As for game planning he will be in the same shape as everyone else. Time will tell.

It's also just one more tiny mental thing to add to his plate. Playing football on Thursdays just feels a bit different.

agreed

injuries too. none of which apply. if anything it gives him less time to sit around and think.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is quite possible that CWT has been planning to put White in there for a while, but, he wanted to wait until Shaw was back to give him the best chance for success. I don't think that this decision was based on Eveld getting hurt or Bench throwing an INT. My guess is that it's been in the works for a while. If CWT was intent on keeping the RS in tact, White would have been getting very few reps in practice and there is no way he'd be ready, but, I think they have been preparing for this and the timing is right with Shaw coming back.

I believe you are correct in that they were planning on using him and that they were getting him prepared . can't start out as 4th stringer, getting 0 1st team reps and expect to come in and be successful. they might have been targeting Houston game for awhile now. not sure if shaw had anything to do with it though.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

The problem I have with this move is putting this kid behind a shaky o-line that's still trying to find itself and having him throw to a hodge podge of WRs.  It would be one thing if the players around him were confident and experienced with what they're doing, but it sure looks like they aren't. 

With regards to the Grothe comparisons, I would argue he was playing with more confident players that already knew the system.  Also, Grothe was more of an improvisational player that could make plays even if WRs weren't getting open or the O-line was breaking down.  White is completely different in that he'll be relying on solid play from the WRs and O-line in order to be successful.  Unfortunately I doubt he'll get solid play from either unit.  Just hope that doesn't shatter his confidence...

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

The problem I have with this move is putting this kid behind a shaky o-line that's still trying to find itself and having him throw to a hodge podge of WRs.  It would be one thing if the players around him were confident and experienced with what they're doing, but it sure looks like they aren't. 

With regards to the Grothe comparisons, I would argue he was playing with more confident players that already knew the system.  Also, Grothe was more of an improvisational player that could make plays even if WRs weren't getting open or the O-line was breaking down.  White is completely different in that he'll be relying on solid play from the WRs and O-line in order to be successful.  Unfortunately I doubt he'll get solid play from either unit.  Just hope that doesn't shatter his confidence...

Kid is gonna need some good luck. Pure pocket passing freshman QB in his first start on the road behind the #20 OLine for giving up sacks... Scary.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Houston's Defense is not as good as probably any other BCS team we've played... Our o-line and WRs will at least have the chance to be held accountable if White can't get the ball out and read his progressions properly... We haven't been able to grade either the o-line or WRs the entire year because of our QB play... stabilize the QB play and then you can see what you have everywhere else.

Edited by tampatony