Knight: White not up to speed in USF QB race

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,807
  • Days Won:  0

Playing White is ridiculous. No one plays a true freshman here and there to get them experience. If he was going to beat these other guys out he would have already done it.

But to waste a year for 'game experience', no way. Coaches don't like players getting game experience if you lose the game.

If he gave us a better chance to win then he'd be playing otherwise he isn't going to play just to see what it is like getting beat, or to practice against lesser competition. Not a good coaching plan.

there are tons of examples of coaches playing true freshman for them to gain experience. #1 passing offense in country is run by a true freshman.

tim tebow threw 33 passes his true freshman year to gain experience.

Miami's last 2 QBs were true freshman starters.

Penn State has had 2 in the last 5 years,.

Rutgers 3. BC 2. Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas, Ohio State and Michigan have all had a true freshman starter within last 5 years.

not sure why people think playing 4th string scout QB is helpful in the least.

good coaches play true freshman in positions of need all the time. it's wise to plan for the future.

red shirting should be for depth or for injury only.  our last 2 QBs did not play their entire 4 years of eligibility because they used their red shirts for non injury purposes.

Ok here is the difference between all of those teams and us. Are you ready for it? Their QB's are really highly ranked/recruited. They have a real offensive line. They have actual depth. Johnny Manziel redshirted his freshman year. It didn't hold him back. Tim Tebow was an awful qb regardless of his experience. He won based off of running and his size. Florida is stacked at WR, RB, and O-Line. FSU's qb was insanely high ranked. They have a really good offense around Winston. Ok St, Ohio St, Michigan, Texas they all pull in a dearth of 4 and 5 star recruits. I know stars don't mean everything but the bigger better schools get better players as a whole. We are simply not in that position. There is no reason to burn a year on White with such an incompetent offense. Playing at this level is hard enough even for some of the higher ranked recruits. The more time he gets to spend with the playbook the better. If Coach T brings in some real O-line help next year then we can see if White is ready. There is no reason to throw a freshman into the fire with the disaster that is our offense right now. It won't help him.

If this was the old USF back when we beat teams like McNeese and FAU then sure I would say keep him around and let him play in the 2nd half of those games. But really letting him get shelled game after game will not be good for his development.

Those teams have the luxury of playing freshman because they know they will continue to pull in talent year after year. Some teams do it because what they have is no good and they think they can do better. See Florida since Tebow left. How much better do you really think White is vs. Bench? I'd at least give Bench a chance to show what he's got rather than just throwing him to the side.  

Edited by NinjaPenguin777

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Our would be true freshman starter is on the bench at UCLA.

Why is this guy NEVER in the conversation?

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Even if he came here, I don't think he'd be doing anymore than White is at this point.

Even if he came here, I don't think he'd be doing anymore than White is at this point.

Considering his accomplishments and what the rest have done, I would bet he'd be in serious contention.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,807
  • Days Won:  0

Does he run like his brother? If so no thanks

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

he should sit entire year

and compete next year

coach t should bring in top juco qb and a top freshman qb in offseason

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

not a bad place too be

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Playing White is ridiculous. No one plays a true freshman here and there to get them experience. If he was going to beat these other guys out he would have already done it.

But to waste a year for 'game experience', no way. Coaches don't like players getting game experience if you lose the game.

If he gave us a better chance to win then he'd be playing otherwise he isn't going to play just to see what it is like getting beat, or to practice against lesser competition. Not a good coaching plan.

there are tons of examples of coaches playing true freshman for them to gain experience. #1 passing offense in country is run by a true freshman.

tim tebow threw 33 passes his true freshman year to gain experience.

Miami's last 2 QBs were true freshman starters.

Penn State has had 2 in the last 5 years,.

Rutgers 3. BC 2. Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas, Ohio State and Michigan have all had a true freshman starter within last 5 years.

not sure why people think playing 4th string scout QB is helpful in the least.

good coaches play true freshman in positions of need all the time. it's wise to plan for the future.

red shirting should be for depth or for injury only.  our last 2 QBs did not play their entire 4 years of eligibility because they used their red shirts for non injury purposes.

Ok here is the difference between all of those teams and us. Are you ready for it? Their QB's are really highly ranked/recruited. They have a real offensive line. They have actual depth. Johnny Manziel redshirted his freshman year. It didn't hold him back. Tim Tebow was an awful qb regardless of his experience. He won based off of running and his size. Florida is stacked at WR, RB, and O-Line. FSU's qb was insanely high ranked. They have a really good offense around Winston. Ok St, Ohio St, Michigan, Texas they all pull in a dearth of 4 and 5 star recruits. I know stars don't mean everything but the bigger better schools get better players as a whole. We are simply not in that position. There is no reason to burn a year on White with such an incompetent offense. Playing at this level is hard enough even for some of the higher ranked recruits. The more time he gets to spend with the playbook the better. If Coach T brings in some real O-line help next year then we can see if White is ready. There is no reason to throw a freshman into the fire with the disaster that is our offense right now. It won't help him.

If this was the old USF back when we beat teams like McNeese and FAU then sure I would say keep him around and let him play in the 2nd half of those games. But really letting him get shelled game after game will not be good for his development.

Those teams have the luxury of playing freshman because they know they will continue to pull in talent year after year. Some teams do it because what they have is no good and they think they can do better. See Florida since Tebow left. How much better do you really think White is vs. Bench? I'd at least give Bench a chance to show what he's got rather than just throwing him to the side.  

Johnny Manziel red shirted behind an NFL QB and another QB. Like I said if we had depth then by all means red shirt him.

Tim Tebow won the Heisman as a true sophomore. yeah he was awful. He had a passing TD and a rushing TD in the national title game his true freshman year.

I love the excuse about highly ranked talent. guess what they play against highly ranked talent.

our middle of the road talent plays against middle of the road talent. I'm not suggesting we throw White out there against LSU defense like Tebow etc. Against memphis, smu, houston, is a different story.

I don't know if White is better than Bench but if they are close and they will compete for starting position next year then it would do white a lot of good to get game experience as soon as possible. Personally I hope Bench runs away with the job as he is the one getting all the experience.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,956
  • Days Won:  436

Johnny Manziel red shirted behind an NFL QB and another QB. Like I said if we had depth then by all means red shirt him.

The depth thing works both ways. With our putrid history of building depth at that position, you don't burn the redshirt of your current probable starter in 2017 until you, at the very least, have another potential starter somewhere in the mix. Right now we got nothing in that regard unless you count Deiondre Porter ...