Anybody on this site who has called Taggart a good/great coach....

hbryan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

Holtz wouldn't have lost by 32 to McNeese and 18 to FAU. He beat UConn without BJD.

I believe Tags will turn things around, but his first three games have been horrific. Anyone trying to make themselves believe differently is crazy.

Oh please, Uconn who recently lost to Towson?  That's your big rebuttal?

Again, you have no idea how bad we would have lost to Mcneese or FAU under Holtz.  Zero.  

You are correct, these last three games have been dreadful, but how many of Taggart's recruits, that he had to get to commit pretty quickly after being hired, are playing RIGHT NOW?  These are all Skip's guys (Bench excepted) and he's had to try to change their mental, physical and educational (playbook) capabilities.

Really???? How hard is it to "re teach" tackle the dude with the football? It's like you guys believe our players were zombies the last 3 seasons and CWT is working to turn them into humans again. The FACT is these guys are highly talented football players that have been playing at high level for years. 85 players are here on athletic scholarships. They should not lose to McCheese State (the WORSE LOSS EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD to an FBS team) or FAU. Especially with both games at home.

CWT can't seem to get these guys motivated to do anything.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

http://football.about.com/cs/a/defformations.htm

A defensive formation can be defined as a predetermined allignment of defensive players on the field. 

Its what he does out of those formations that's considered complex, ie his schemes.  For instance you can run a zone out of any formation, and there are all kinds of zones.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=defensive+schemes&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

Holtz wouldn't have lost by 32 to McNeese and 18 to FAU. He beat UConn without BJD.

I believe Tags will turn things around, but his first three games have been horrific. Anyone trying to make themselves believe differently is crazy.

Again, you have no idea how bad we would have lost to Mcneese or FAU under Holtz.  Zero.  

You are correct, these last three games have been dreadful, but how many of Taggart's recruits, that he had to get to commit pretty quickly after being hired, are playing RIGHT NOW?  These are all Skip's guys (Bench excepted) and he's had to try to change their mental, physical and educational (playbook) capabilities.

Really???? How hard is it to "re teach" tackle the dude with the football? It's like you guys believe our players were zombies the last 3 seasons and CWT is working to turn them into humans again. The FACT is these guys are highly talented football players that have been playing at high level for years. 85 players are here on athletic scholarships. They should not lose to McCheese State (the WORSE LOSS EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD to an FBS team) or FAU. Especially with both games at home.

if by high level you mean losing to Temple and Ball state with an NFL QB at the helm then yes I agree.

again our QBs have accounted for 3 offensive TDs and 5 defensive Tds for our opponent.

our games would actually be closer if we just punted on 1st down. total QB #s 37% completions, 405 yards passing (135 per game), 3 pass TDs, 5 defensive TDs = 1 inside 20.

UCFs QB had as many passing TDs against penn state as all 3 of ours have had in 3 games.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

Not having been a college football fan till USF got a team (were it a factor I would have gone to Florida in the early 90s), I have to ask, "How can a coach effectively recruit with a 0-12 record? " I don't care what vision you have, it's got to be hard to sell a kid on the great things your program is doing with a record like that.

The program has been set so far back it's sickening . I was on the lines fighting for a team and recall the excitement when it was announced. 

Historically, have any teams gone from winless to champions... and how long did it take? My sense is that the road back could be longer than the initial building process.

Willie will sell them on the chance to start and contribute right away.  These players were recruited mostly by Skip and are not necessarily suited for Willies scheme and expectations of them.  

Most of the problems I saw yesterday was from poor O-line play.  Pass blocking to be more specific.  Yes our QB's are lacking but they are also running for their lives back there as soon as the ball is snapped.

There have been some improvements from week 1 in other areas of the that I don't hear discussed much.

Our special teams have improved, our defense has improved and  started to show some swagger last night.  We are running successfully on first down even when they knew we were going to run on.  That is called "imposing our will" something Willie talked about.

We'll get there.

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

A defensive formation can be defined as a predetermined allignment of defensive players on the field. 

Its what he does out of those formations that's considered complex, ie his schemes.  For instance you can run a zone out of any formation, and there are all kinds of zones.

You should read those. I think you hear an announcer say "they are in nickel" and mistake that for the scheme. That is the formation, which can be seen presnap by who is on the field and where. When they do something, blitz, go into zone, play man, those are the schemes. And every one of those can be played in multiple ways.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

if by high level you mean losing to Temple and Ball state with an NFL QB at the helm then yes I agree.

again our QBs have accounted for 3 offensive TDs and 5 defensive Tds for our opponent.

our games would actually be closer if we just punted on 1st down. total QB #s 37% completions, 405 yards passing (135 per game), 3 pass TDs, 5 defensive TDs = 1 inside 20.

UCFs QB had as many passing TDs against penn state as all 3 of ours have had in 3 games.

I would take the losses to Ball St and Temple 10 times out of 10 instead of losses to McCheese St and FAU at home.

You should read those. I think you hear an announcer say "they are in nickel" and mistake that for the scheme. That is the formation, which can be seen presnap by who is on the field and where. When they do something, blitz, go into zone, play man, those are the schemes. And every one of those can be played in multiple ways.

whatever you want to call it, if winning was simply the scheme a coach ran then everyone would run the same one and be successful right? the difference is the talent they run it with.

I bet things are different if UCFs QB is our starter. He had as many passing TDs against penn state yesterday as our QBs have all season. Hell our QBs account for 5 opponents direct TDs (not including one inside 20) and only 3 of ours. upgrade talent at that one position and we are easily 2 games better at this point.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Gawd.

I cannot believe the number of people on here who honestly believe that our big losses to McNeese and FAU can be justified by lack of talent.

We start a freshman All American on the Dline. We put in a QB who played at Penn State!

We've been out coached. That doesn't mean I'm calling for Willie's head. I believe he will succeed, he's got the pedigree and is one hell of a recruiter.

I have to step away.

During the last year's debacle you were saying that the team (with 24 seniors) wasn't as talented as we thought. The majority of the guys playing this year weren't good enough to start on last year's team. Yet now we are talented?

Our lines are getting flat out pushed around. That's talent. Our Dline is taking themselves out of position often and that's coaching. Yesterday it was a lot more of the former than the latter.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

How do you recruit at 0-12?

Easy, come to USF and start on day 1.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Gawd.

I cannot believe the number of people on here who honestly believe that our big losses to McNeese and FAU can be justified by lack of talent.

We start a freshman All American on the Dline. We put in a QB who played at Penn State!

We've been out coached. That doesn't mean I'm calling for Willie's head. I believe he will succeed, he's got the pedigree and is one hell of a recruiter.

I have to step away.

During the last year's debacle you were saying that the team (with 24 seniors) wasn't as talented as we thought. The majority of the guys playing this year weren't good enough to start on last year's team. Yet now we are talented?

Our lines are getting flat out pushed around. That's talent. Our Dline is taking themselves out of position often and that's coaching. Yesterday it was a lot more of the former than the latter.

Not to mention our, "QB who played at Penn State!" Was a very late addition to the penn state recruiting class who's only other offer was Rice. He was a warm body at penn state. That's all