MSU = Nothing To Lose

BullyPulpit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

the above is purely speculation on my part.

I certainly hope that was purely speculation and not what CWT did. He needs his eye on THIS year and you know there was no way they were both exactly equal. One showed him more, even if just a miniscule amount, and it better have been Floyd.

neither have been impressive. take the younger of the 2 with more upside. he was left in a terrible position. that's why he scrambled for a transfer in the off-season.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I certainly hope that was purely speculation and not what CWT did. He needs his eye on THIS year and you know there was no way they were both exactly equal. One showed him more, even if just a miniscule amount, and it better have been Floyd.

I certainly don't think he thought they were exactly equal, if fact he said that he thought Floyd had a greater chance for big plays (turns out he was right, but not in the way he thought) and Eveld was safer.  What I meant is if I thought they both gave an equal chance to win the game, i would go with the one that would be there in the future.

neither have been impressive. take the younger of the 2 with more upside. he was left in a terrible position. that's why he scrambled for a transfer in the off-season.

I actually agree with this.

Put in the QB best able to help us win the conference this year. From my couch 500 miles away, it looks like Eveld to me. The season is NOT a wash regarding AAC conference play.

as long as you guys are willing to sacrifice the future. we are in the same spot next year, an inexperienced QB that will take his lumps, if Eveld goes the rest of the way.

Honestly if he was clear cut the better QB and I thought we even had an outside shot at the conference then i would say go for it but Eveld has been underwhelming himself. he was 10 of 20 for 130 yards (60 of which came on a 4th down,that was a 3 yard route taken the distance,  that easily could have been picked) in what essentially was garbage time against a 1-aa school. his previous results have been less than stellar as well. I really don't think he is a guy we could rely on to win us a game. he might not lose one like floyd (or any inexperienced QB that will make mistakes) but I really don't think he can be counted on to win one either. I say take our lumps. it's either now or next year.

I agree with what you're saying.  The big question here though, is if a realistic shot at a conference title this year at the expense of having an inexperienced QB next year is worth it?  

It seems like we've lost some recruits due to having rough seasons.  If this season was a success, perhaps the benefits of that would even out the negatives of QB inexperience next year ... ?

I don't know ... I just want to win.  It's too early in the season to start thinking about next year, IMO.  

By the looks of it on saturday I think we might have a little trouble beating Louisville (or anyone for that matter) for a conference title.

By the looks of it yes, but again, we've only had 1 game in this system too.  I usually like to wait a few weeks to see trends before I totally write the year off.  

I meant how good Louisville looked.

Didn't teddy bridgewater play as a true freshman?was that strong's first year? that was the year they lost to FIU and Marshall and decided to burn his red shirt. How is that working out for them? if he thinks white is the answer then burn the red shirt and baptize him by fire. if not this year then it's going to be a long year again next year while he gains experience.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I'm still trying to cope with the fact that it wasn't too long ago I was optimistic we'd win a game like this, now I'm praying we cover the spread.

LOL!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

IMO, for every game, you play the players that give you the best chance to win that game PERIOD. I think the biggest reason Floyd and Eveld are 1-2 is because they are more familiar with this seemingly pretty complicated offense. As the season wears on, the other two should close that familiarity gap and if the current 1-2 haven't shown CWT what he needs to see, I'd hope he'd go to who he thinks gives us the best chance to win the next game.

so you don't agree with playing players to gain experience for the future?

If a game is already won or lost, I've got no problem with that ... until that point, you play the 22 players that you feel give you the best chance to win. Do I have to quote Herm Edwards here?

personally I think that it's crucial in college with the limited time they have with players.

I'm just saying if he thinks White is the answer for next year and beyond then it would be more beneficial for him to play right away. gain some experience playing 4 or 5 series against the worst defenses. ease him into the job. if he red shirts and then starts him next year with no experience then we are in another transition year breaking in a raw QB.

But he won't be entirely "raw". He would have a year in CWT's system ... something neither Eveld or Floyd had the luxury of.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

It's hard to disagree with that logic.  Teddy B is a special, special player though.  Perhaps White isn't ready yet.  

Gotta think there is a method to what seems like madness to some of us ... 

Bridgwater is certainly the exception.  The ideal for most QBs is to be brought along slowly.

IMO, for every game, you play the players that give you the best chance to win that game PERIOD. I think the biggest reason Floyd and Eveld are 1-2 is because they are more familiar with this seemingly pretty complicated offense. As the season wears on, the other two should close that familiarity gap and if the current 1-2 haven't shown CWT what he needs to see, I'd hope he'd go to who he thinks gives us the best chance to win the next game.

so you don't agree with playing players to gain experience for the future?

If a game is already won or lost, I've got no problem with that ... until that point, you play the 22 players that you feel give you the best chance to win. Do I have to quote Herm Edwards here?

personally I think that it's crucial in college with the limited time they have with players.

I'm just saying if he thinks White is the answer for next year and beyond then it would be more beneficial for him to play right away. gain some experience playing 4 or 5 series against the worst defenses. ease him into the job. if he red shirts and then starts him next year with no experience then we are in another transition year breaking in a raw QB.

But he won't be entirely "raw". He would have a year in CWT's system ... something neither Eveld or Floyd had the luxury of.

he will have no game experience at this level. if he doesn't get any this year then that means next year is probably a wash too.

Bridgwater is certainly the exception.  The ideal for most QBs is to be brought along slowly.

Ideally we would be starting a 5th year senior with 300 snaps of experience under his belt every year.

unfortunately we are not in that position.

I'm talking about bringing him along slowly. get him some reps against terrible defenses this year. That's if you think he is starter material next year.

Bridgewater didn't start right away. They were going to red shirt him until they lost to FIU and Marshall. they saw the writing on the wall and decided to gain him some much needed experience in a year that was a wash. it just so happened he was able to lead them to a bowl.

I think you use red shirts to build depth. we are not deep at the QB position.

Taggart needs to get his guy in there whether he is a freshman or not. especially since we are so inexperienced at the position.

Edited by Bull94