• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,672
  • Days Won:  25

Maybe White is special like Jameison at FSU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You just mentioned they made the decision after two losses.  First of all, we've only lost one game.  Nothing is lost right now except for the moment, our pride ...

Second ... what if we get a W tomorrow?  At least for the time being after that happens, burning White's redshirt isn't justified, imo.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

You just mentioned they made the decision after two losses.  First of all, we've only lost one game.  Nothing is lost right now except for the moment, our pride ...

Second ... what if we get a W tomorrow?  At least for the time being after that happens, burning White's redshirt isn't justified, imo.  

He should start Eveld( everyone agrees he's probably the guy that gives us the best chance) and he should give whoever he thinks will be the guy next year at least 3 series every game against lesser defenses. That's what you do to groom a QB. that's what urban meyer did for tim tebow his freshman year.

If it's White that he thinks will be his guy then burn the red shirt. Not sure why everybody is so worried about 2018(white's potential 5th year). we need him ready to go for next year if he is the guy.

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

IMO, for every game, you play the players that give you the best chance to win that game PERIOD. I think the biggest reason Floyd and Eveld are 1-2 is because they are more familiar with this seemingly pretty complicated offense. As the season wears on, the other two should close that familiarity gap and if the current 1-2 haven't shown CWT what he needs to see, I'd hope he'd go to who he thinks gives us the best chance to win the next game.

so you don't agree with playing players to gain experience for the future?

If a game is already won or lost, I've got no problem with that ... until that point, you play the 22 players that you feel give you the best chance to win. Do I have to quote Herm Edwards here?

personally I think that it's crucial in college with the limited time they have with players.

I'm just saying if he thinks White is the answer for next year and beyond then it would be more beneficial for him to play right away. gain some experience playing 4 or 5 series against the worst defenses. ease him into the job. if he red shirts and then starts him next year with no experience then we are in another transition year breaking in a raw QB.

But he won't be entirely "raw". He would have a year in CWT's system ... something neither Eveld or Floyd had the luxury of.

he will have no game experience at this level. if he doesn't get any this year then that means next year is probably a wash too.

I'm sorry, I don't see it. Explain how the WHOLE next season will be a wash by waiting to give him those 4 or 5 series for experience the first half of the first game next year instead of games this year, burning his redshirt? He'll be a ton more comfortable with the offense next year ... I just don't see the need to get him out there this year ... unless he's got Jameis Winston like capabilities.

IMO, for every game, you play the players that give you the best chance to win that game PERIOD. I think the biggest reason Floyd and Eveld are 1-2 is because they are more familiar with this seemingly pretty complicated offense. As the season wears on, the other two should close that familiarity gap and if the current 1-2 haven't shown CWT what he needs to see, I'd hope he'd go to who he thinks gives us the best chance to win the next game.

so you don't agree with playing players to gain experience for the future?

If a game is already won or lost, I've got no problem with that ... until that point, you play the 22 players that you feel give you the best chance to win. Do I have to quote Herm Edwards here?

personally I think that it's crucial in college with the limited time they have with players.

I'm just saying if he thinks White is the answer for next year and beyond then it would be more beneficial for him to play right away. gain some experience playing 4 or 5 series against the worst defenses. ease him into the job. if he red shirts and then starts him next year with no experience then we are in another transition year breaking in a raw QB.

But he won't be entirely "raw". He would have a year in CWT's system ... something neither Eveld or Floyd had the luxury of.

he will have no game experience at this level. if he doesn't get any this year then that means next year is probably a wash too.

I'm sorry, I don't see it. Explain how the WHOLE next season will be a wash by waiting to give him those 4 or 5 series for experience the first half of the first game next year instead of games this year, burning his redshirt? He'll be a ton more comfortable with the offense next year ... I just don't see the need to get him out there this year ... unless he's got Jameis Winston like capabilities.

so you don't think playing against conference competition(albeit crummy defensive competition) this year would help him prepare and become more comfortable playing college football more than playing against a 1-aa opener next year? he'd have all off season knowing how it is to play against decent college defenses.teams do this all the time. Tebow did it as a true freshman. I'm not saying it's ideal with a true freshman but desperate times call for desperate measures.Ideally we'd red shirt for depth.

Floyd red shirted for Holtz. How did that work out in his 2nd year?I'm sure he knew the playbook inside and out. the kid looks scared out there because he has not had enough snaps against college defenses. he looked scared last year.they say the game slows down the more experience you get. that won't happen if his first live action is the first game of the season. it will be another long season that we would have to endure. all for what? so white can play again in 2018 (if he doesn't get hurt and have to sit out a year without a red shirt that is)

all I'm saying is we need to get a QB( I don't care who or what class he's in) some experience for next year. if he thinks Floyd is the guy then fine. if he thinks bench is then fine. we can't wait to throw him out against some 1-aa team for his first experience. if white doesn't pan out then what? hope we sign a guy that will red shirt next year and then gain experience the year after. we're talking year 4 before he gets any production out of the most important position.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

You keep citing these rare exceptions like Bridgewater and Tebow.  That's like saying all kids should drop out of college because that's what Bill Gates and Steve Jobs did.

You keep citing these rare exceptions like Bridgewater and Tebow.  That's like saying all kids should drop out of college because that's what Bill Gates and Steve Jobs did.

Cal has a true freshman starting at QB this year. Jared Goff. in sonny dykes first year in a far more complicated offense than ours.

Christian Hackenberg is a true freshman starting for penn state. maybe why we have bench now.their coach is the former qb coach and oc for NE patriots.

BRaxton Miller started his true freshman year. so did robert griffin 3. terrel pryor. matt barkley. perry hills (maryland)

tate forcier

tom savage

tyler bray

wes lunt

I believe texas tech had a true frosh starter this year.

there are lots of them from schools like texas, boston college, penn state, rutgers (3 times in last 5 years), miami (twice), michigan, osu, baylor, etc

sorry if i only pointed out a couple that came to the top of my head.

BTW I'm not suggesting we just name him the starter. I said we should work him in slowly.get him experience if he is going to be the man next year.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

I respect your opinion, but a coach needs to also consider the future. Especially, since his job could depend on it. I believe that Eveld's loss of his redshirt last season is why Floyd was starting, because CWT felt they were equal and Eveld is gone after this year. Had Holtz not burned Eveld's redshirt, he might have been named the starter.

Taggart may not be here in 5 years if he doesn't find and groom a QB as soon as possible.

But you argued earlier that CWT should just toss this season to get players experience and build for next?? I don't follow your logic.

This is the last year we have a BCS chance (granted, now only realistically on paper). But crazier things have happened in college football before now than a team getting its act together in a few games before conference play. I for one won't quit on this season until conference play is done, and I hope the coaches and players don't either.

• Topic Count:  420
  • Content Count:  9,778
  • Days Won:  8

I absolutely agree with this. You can't predict the future. How can you predict the next year will be any better? Don't throw away opportunities to win because winning solves everything (almost).

I think 5-7 looks better to a recruit than 3-9 or 2-10 for example. Even if you you know you cannot make a bowl game, you have to please the fans and recruits with all of the wins you possiy can.

I respect your opinion, but a coach needs to also consider the future. Especially, since his job could depend on it. I believe that Eveld's loss of his redshirt last season is why Floyd was starting, because CWT felt they were equal and Eveld is gone after this year. Had Holtz not burned Eveld's redshirt, he might have been named the starter.

Taggart may not be here in 5 years if he doesn't find and groom a QB as soon as possible.

But you argued earlier that CWT should just toss this season to get players experience and build for next?? I don't follow your logic.

This is the last year we have a BCS chance (granted, now only realistically on paper). But crazier things have happened in college football before now than a team getting its act together in a few games before conference play. I for one won't quit on this season until conference play is done, and I hope the coaches and players don't either.

I never said he should toss this season. I only said he needs to prepare for next year.

that's what's tough about coaching in college. there are always players coming and going.

there is no sense playing a senior QB the entire way if we go 3-9. get some of the young guys some experience.

if he feels white is the way to go then get him some reps and don't worry about using a red shirt. work him into 4 or 5 games. get him 4 series per game.

Look at sonny dykes at CAL. Brand new coach with a difficult air raid offense. he starts a true freshman that is more suited to his scheme.he's not wasting his time. he's getting his guy valuable experience that will pay off sooner in the future. game experience is essential.

I believe Taggart started as a true freshman at WKU. players never used to red shirt unless they were injured. that's why the rule was put in place. maybe if we had depth at the position but we clearly don't.

we better start thinking about the future because losing 10 of last 11 suggests the present way isn't working.