Please don't direct your anger at the wrong people

Mike Stuben

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

I am not saying that the coaches shouldn't call out players, and demand more.

Fans need to have some perspective.

Matt Floyd put on a USF jersey and tried to help us win a game today. We don't like the result, but these are kids and don't deserve to have personal attacks yelled at them.

If you want to blame a player for a poor performance then maybe you should go to NFL games, those guys make millions of dollars to be accountable for their results.

(I am not opposed to a civil fan discussion of how we can get better) .... but yelling personal attacks at kids is wrong.

Mike, I'd just give up trying on this ... Some fans are just dickheads and yelling at players/coaches somehow make them better about themselves and their pathetic lives.

This suggestion that fans shouldn't yell insults at players has been stated here many times.  Seems there's been a sea change in that regard, especially with younger fans.  Some believe it is their right and obligation to insult and belittle players as if they are performing for the king, and they're the king.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

I agree 100%. I was very disappointed at the booing at half-time. Low rent behavior by people who should be fans. This is YOUR team. YOU are connected to them through the university (you did go to college, right?)*. And ultimately, they are kids. Not saying there's no blame to be shared, but it's not the college fan's place to boo the home team.

* I'm assuming, with some measure of risk, that those were either students or alumni. If they were of the "Miami Fan Model", well, it's expected. 

Disagree with WoolyBully 100%. Everybody has their line not to cross but I feel booing is acceptable while obscenities and name calling are not. These are not kids. These guys are getting free rides to college and in turn are expected to show up  and give 100%. Football is entertainment. I was not entertained last night. I saw below par effort from the players. Not much Coach can do once the whistle blows. At that point it is up to the players to dig in and play. I don't know about you, but I paid every last dime of my college education and it cost me a fortune and I did not have the luxury to play football and get a free ride. So excuse me but I will boo all I want to when the players do not show up and play.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,119
  • Days Won:  14

At some point, I wish USF in general would take a less aggressive stance on how they promote the team. By that-- I mean things like the "Big Four" bill board or  this "get on the bus" thing-- they are so full of hot air far too often and tend to make us look goofy the next time we play like hot garbage.

I'm not saying don't market the team-- but how about a little less blowhard and little more "go team-- rah rah" or simply "support USF"?

Call it a Dungy-like approach. Much less painful.

I know--- maybe the coach really believes in this team as currently constructed. Maybe he can make something out of this floundering sack of rat turds. We use to tell our opponents to start the bus No we seem to have volunteered to get on it ourselves.

Totally agree.  Stop with the talk and they hype and try winning a football game.  It reminds me of Apollo Creed's big fanfare entrance in Rocky 4 before he gets his ass kicked by the Russian guy.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,292
  • Days Won:  490

These guys are getting free rides to college and in turn are expected to show up  and give 100%..... don't know about you, but I paid every last dime of my college education and it cost me a fortune and I did not have the luxury to play football and get a free ride.

This short of shows the misunderstanding and perhaps why some feel they are the king and can boo or take it to next level and increase insult and obscenities.

Maybe after you finish spring and fall camp and all the weightlifting and conditioning, you'd know it's not a free ride.  They worked very hard for that "luxury" and "free" ride.

I paid every last dime of my education too.  I respect "why" those young men have their "free" ride.  Obviously neither you nor I were that good.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,587
  • Days Won:  255

I honestly don't think anyone was using directed cursing at the players last night; they earned their boos and they earned their call outs the same way they do when they receive praise. Being a public figure there are more people there to praise you and there are more people there to criticize you; they aren't kids and their performance would have gotten them directed criticism at any level at any job.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

What's the rule here:

Either when they f*ck up and get busted for something stupid, they're young, they're just kids.

When they step onto the field they're not kids - they're adults getting "paid" (your phrase, not mine..or was it 'free ride'?) to do "a job". 

I completely forgot that all they have to do is catch the bus over to the stadium on Saturday afternoon and put on a uniform. No work in the summer (when the rest of the student body is working on their tan), no practice, no weight room and most assuredly no after hours tutoring or class room responsibility. Yep, just show up and get the ole sheepskin.

Oh, and make no mistake. You can exercise that right to boo until your heart's content. You'll just pardon me if I see that as boorish behavior from the great unwashed.  :puke:

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,587
  • Days Won:  255

What's the rule here:

Either when they f*ck up and get busted for something stupid, they're young, they're just kids.

When they step onto the field they're not kids - they're adults getting "paid" (your phrase, not mine..or was it 'free ride'?) to do "a job".

I completely forgot that all they have to do is catch the bus over to the stadium on Saturday afternoon and put on a uniform. No work in the summer (when the rest of the student body is working on their tan), no practice, no weight room and most assuredly no after hours tutoring or class room responsibility. Yep, just show up and get the ole sheepskin.

Oh, and make no mistake. You can exercise that right to boo until your heart's content. You'll just pardon me if I see that as boorish behavior from the great unwashed. :puke:

I don't think you will have to worry for long; programs aren't in trouble when you hear booing for bad preformance it's over when you don't. Soon you will have your wish and there will be no one left to boo. FYI the terms "free ride" and "pay" can be used synonomisously since the "free ride" would be the form of payment they are recieving and since the revenue that supports this is directly tied to your preformance on the field you can practice until your hearts content (or don't) but people are only going to pay and cheer for your wins.
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

At some point, I wish USF in general would take a less aggressive stance on how they promote the team. By that-- I mean things like the "Big Four" bill board or  this "get on the bus" thing-- they are so full of hot air far too often and tend to make us look goofy the next time we play like hot garbage.

I'm not saying don't market the team-- but how about a little less blowhard and little more "go team-- rah rah" or simply "support USF"?

I know--- maybe the coach really believes in this team as currently constructed. Maybe he can make something out of this floundering sack of rat turds. We use to tell our opponents to start the bus No we seem to have volunteered to get on it ourselves.

Totally agree.  Stop with the talk and they hype and try winning a football game.  It reminds me of Apollo Creed's big fanfare entrance in Rocky 4 before he gets his ass kicked by the Russian guy.

It's a tough sell. And fans let their emotions run away with them. And they may not be alone

Tampa Tribune, College Bonus, Page 1, "Taggart Bulls embarrassed by FCS team at home", Column Three:

"It ended with one player bypassing the locker room in disgust, marching out of the stadium in full uniform before being chased down by an assistant coach".

CWT has some incredibly heavy lifting to do, and I agree with Mike & Dave. Try to take it down a notch, but still be supportive. 

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Your Animal House avatar is perfect for your idea of "marketing"

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkoPq5AOCOA

How is the "get on the bus" a "blowhard" campaign?

"Go team - rah rah"?  Who would even pay attention to clap trap like that?

The bus campaign got  the attention of the local and national media.  Probably more attention than any previous promotion from USF.

So we lost.  Suck it up and deal with it.

Some of you old timers would prefer that the school do nothing to promote the team.  Keep it your own private little secret.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

I agree 100%. I was very disappointed at the booing at half-time. Low rent behavior by people who should be fans. This is YOUR team. YOU are connected to them through the university (you did go to college, right?)*. And ultimately, they are kids. Not saying there's no blame to be shared, but it's not the college fan's place to boo the home team.

* I'm assuming, with some measure of risk, that those were either students or alumni. If they were of the "Miami Fan Model", well, it's expected. 

Disagree with WoolyBully 100%. Everybody has their line not to cross but I feel booing is acceptable while obscenities and name calling are not. These are not kids. These guys are getting free rides to college and in turn are expected to show up  and give 100%. Football is entertainment. I was not entertained last night. I saw below par effort from the players. Not much Coach can do once the whistle blows. At that point it is up to the players to dig in and play. I don't know about you, but I paid every last dime of my college education and it cost me a fortune and I did not have the luxury to play football and get a free ride. So excuse me but I will boo all I want to when the players do not show up and play.

THIS.