**** i miss Leavitt

dausfbulls11

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Don't be so melodramatic. Many people thought Leavitt had plateaued and could not get this team to the next level. Not sure how many more 3-4 BE seasons people (and DW) were going to tolerate. There is no guarantee he would still be here even without choke slap gate.

Mediocrity with some moderate success is vastly better than what we've experienced since he's left. We were going to bowl games every year under him and I'm sure we would have continued to do so

Not true at all.

2004, in CUSA was a 4 win season.  2005 was a scrape by 6 win season with an embarrassing bowl game loss. And no conference titles in two difference conferences.

You have no idea what would have happened with him here. If there was a conspiracy by the players to get rid of him, what does that tell you?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,060
  • Days Won:  20

Of course you all would take Leavitt back. There should be no question. I would -- in a heartbeat. He was in a unique position to build the program from square one and coach for 80% of our games. He built the identity of USF football that caused most of us to become fans: Hard-hitting defense. Intense passion. Take on all comers. Upset big teams.

You can't say you're a USF football fan but also say we're better off without Leavitt and then complain about Holtz. That's all you have to choose from. We don't have 100 years of history to draw from. You became a fan during one of those two eras. Which do you prefer? No, he didn't win a major bowl game or conference title, but he was the best coach we ever had. He went 95-57 and as far as USF football goes, he is Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Bo Schembechler, etc.

Saying we're better off or on the right track now is pure speculation. For all we know, Leavitt could have won the Big East the year he was canned (or maybe he never would have). Taggart could be the guy to bring respectability back to the program. I hope he is. I like the man, I want him to usher in a new brand of USF football. However, all we have right now is talk and 0-1. Holtz talked a good game, too.

All I know is that the past few years, we've been griping about how USF football lost it's identity. Who built that identity? Jim Leavitt.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  482
  • Days Won:  1

Oh how I miss going to the magic jack bowl and the pizza bowl...

Can't believe I thought we were too good for them  :cry2:

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

I say this all the time.  We will never be what we were under JL.  He cared.  He powered us to success.  No one else will ever bring that back.  Sorry that just my honest opinion

+1

Well said.

As great as the times where from 05-09, we weren't THAT great. I do think we had the potential with him to exceed what he had accomplished, but it's not like we accomplished that much.

Leavitt's greatest season was a 9-4 finish that ended in a straight romp from Oregon who was sporting a 3rd string QB. 

I truly think we can get back to that point, and beyond it. Maybe I'm over optimistic, but just my opinion and hope.

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt was our identity nationally. We have none now. When Leavitt was fired, football went with him.

Edited by redfisher78

Sounds like Bama fans after The Bear retired.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

USF is trying to build a program, not just one or two successful seasons.  If Petrino is at WKU for more than two seasons, I'll be shocked.  Just like I wouldn't expect him to have stayed here past a couple of seasons.

I firmly believe that CWT is trying to build a program and he has a lot of incentive to stay for a while.  I'm not naive enough to believe that there aren't jobs that he might leave us for, but I think it's less likely than others.

• Upvote 1

Family in the area is a big draw. Holtz wanted to stay.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,048
  • Days Won:  2

USF is trying to build a program, not just one or two successful seasons.  If Petrino is at WKU for more than two seasons, I'll be shocked.  Just like I wouldn't expect him to have stayed here past a couple of seasons.

I firmly believe that CWT is trying to build a program and he has a lot of incentive to stay for a while.  I'm not naive enough to believe that there aren't jobs that he might leave us for, but I think it's less likely than others.

I really want to believe this too.  As long as we build up and up, I think he's here for while.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Don't miss him, it was time for him to go.

Brilliant insight. Real deep. Thanks for the contribution.

I agree with The Sheriff, Willie was a reach with Petrino available. Willie is going to need years to replenish the empty shelves, while Petrino probably gets recruits in quicker. Spare me the "stepping stone" excuse. Willie is out in a few years too, if he can get this team to a bowl game. With the program in shambles, he'll look like a genius if we make the Beef O Brady's Bowl in 2016.

Reuben

It's time for you to go, too, stalker.

I really want to believe this too.  As long as we build up and up, I think he's here for while.

He's got more incentive than ever to make it happen now! I agree, though, I don't think he would have taken the job if he didn't want to put in the work to build program success. If he bolts after that, I'll thank him and wish him well. But he knew what he was inheriting and was up for the challenge--I'm confident he knows what he's doing, just hope it starts to come together soon.