who are the great high school QB's

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Another Top Florida QB, Jonathan Garner, now has USF on his list.

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=1167904

It sure would be nice to get both Garner and Vince Wilson (whenever he qualifies).

Bill Buchalter just wrote:

Around Central Florida

Mainland football coach John Maronto said Vince Wilson, his standout running back, should be next to sign a Division I grant-in-aid.

He said Wilson earned an NCAA qualifying score on his most recent SAT and now must maintain a 2.5 GPA for the final grading period.

Louisville just offered Garner the other day:

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=17&p=8&c=1&nid=1167904

We really should now try to sign both Wilson and Garner.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Papa_Bull

• smazza

• bulls96go

• E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

I think we are maxed on our schollies and already have a few planed to enroll in Spring 2005.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

we will land one them after they see us win cusa and a bowl game

i bet  a couple of QB studs want to come to USF next year

This makes me wonder if it wasn't for the 2003 schedule debacle and losing to UAB which disqualified our Bulls for a bowl if Ingram would of came to USF.  It's still hard to believe that kid would rather sit the bench in BB & FB for 3 yrs at Florida Cracker College instead to make immediate impact in Tampa, FL, a Top 15 media market.  Go figure.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

please no more ingram posts or mentions!

you will just stir up this board again

let sleeping dogs lie

I think we are maxed on our schollies and already have a few planed to enroll in Spring 2005.

Are we limited to just 25 scholarships each year?

USF should have at least two more scholarships with Robinson and Clarke leaving.

What happens if some of our players fail to qualify, can't we then add additional players like Carlton Williams (or Wilson) to this year's class?

I previously read that three or four players needed to still qualify. Have they?

Guest S.  Bien

Are we limited to just 25 scholarships each year?

USF should have at least two more scholarships with Robinson and Clarke leaving.

What happens if some of our players fail to qualify, can't we then add additional players like Carlton Williams (or Wilson) to this year's class?

I previously read that three or four players needed to still qualify. Have they?

You can only admit 25 in the fall, that includes transfers.  Although, you can admit mid-season transfers, and spread them out.

For instance, Jeremy Burnett, the transfer from Purdue, had to find the means to pay his way during the fall because we were maxed out on our admissions.  We brought like 22 last fall, and only had room for about 24 after the awards for some walk-ons.

Similar situation coming up, expect about 5 guys sitting until the spring.  Actually the loss of Robinson, and Clarke have positive effects in getting more freshmen on the field earlier.

Guest S.  Bien

If Vince Wilson will accept a blue shirt, I say take the kid.  He's an outstanding running back, quite possibly as good as anything we've signed from the high school ranks.  He's a pretty good kid, and besides Mainland is loaded this year...hopefully the late recruiting of Wilson, and helping him out could help us land Avery Atkins, and Jonathan Garner (both have named us as schools they're interested in).

Give me those two, and Vince Wilson's schollie would be worth it even if he sucked- which isn't the case.

Bien...Thanks.

Is there a possibility that Carlton Williams will still play this year if someone doesn't qualify? I know he sent in his LOI on signing day with the understanding that he may have to wait to enroll in January. If he showed up in the summer would he be allowed to practice with the team?

Guest S.  Bien
Bien...Thanks.

Is there a possibility that Carlton Williams will still play this year if someone doesn't qualify? I know he sent in his LOI on signing day with the understanding that he may have to wait to enroll in January. If he showed up in the summer would he be allowed to practice with the team?

From what I was told he never sent a LOI, and one was never sent to him.  You see the process is schools must send LOI's that are actually LOI's for a Grant-in-aid for the subsequent school year.  Therefore, if they signed Carlton Williams it would mean further scrambling.  It was my understanding, and thanks for reminding me because we need safeties, particularly some with size, was that Carlton has a strong desire to play for us.  The staff requested he wait until the spring to enroll, and join the team in the spring.  Or he can enroll in the fall, practice in the spring, and just pay his way for one semester.  

In any event, he was never sent an LOI, and is planning on enrolling with an option to come aboard in the spring.  There is always the chance the staff could call him this summer and mention that we have room, and a scholarship and he could enroll this fall with a scholarship.  I suppose it all depends on who, and how many will be available from this class.  It is again my understanding that as of February only four players were ineligible, and of those four everyone was going to at least partially qualify and therefore could at least enroll in the spring.  If that is still the case then it will be difficult to find Williams any room.

This was in the Trib previously:

NOT A BULL ... YET: Valdosta (Ga.) High all-state safety Carlton Williams will sign with USF - as soon as he receives a letter-of-intent, Valdosta coach Rick Darlington said.  

``If USF doesn't have room for him in the fall, they said they'd bring him in in January,'' Darlington said.  

Since USF already signed 28 recruits, Williams likely won't come to USF until January.  

Williams, Valdosta's third-leading tackler, also considered Duke, Louisville, Troy State and Appalachian State.  

``He's got a lot of potential,'' Darlington said.

This was him supposedly signing his LOI:

C.Williams.jpg

http://www.valdostawildcats.com/2003/signing_day/default.asp