Aresco: USF/UCF Rivalry Is Cornerstone of AAC.

slick1ru2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Gotta promote the conference somehow. I just hope we're cornerstones until we BOLT....

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Aresco hasn't been great, but our old league's willingness to allow basketball to control so much, leading to an unwillingness to expand, cramped us when it came to TV negotiations and product.

Not saying Cuse, UL, etc, wouldn't have jumped, but going to 10-12 teams in 2009 might have assured the presence of Boise State and/or a better TV deal than the abomination we have now...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

...until ECU joins. Then the cornerstone rivalry will shift to UCF x ECU. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I'm with ya slick, just never liked political speech

Prefer a straight shooter

So you would prefer that he say something like, "this conference sucks, and this UCF/USF doesn't suck quite as much".

That's a great way to build up interest in a conference.  Good thing you aren't commissioner.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  7,001
  • Days Won:  4

So you would prefer that he say something like, "this conference sucks, and this UCF/USF doesn't suck quite as much".

That's a great way to build up interest in a conference.  Good thing you aren't commissioner.

Aresco gets paid to paint a smiley face on what everyone - AND I MEAN EVERYONE - realizes is a less than desirable situation. This may be one huge pile of poo, but when you're on the executive staff, you toe the line. The only thing you're ever going to hear coming from the conference offices is how great it is to be here and how bright the future looks. And if our rivalry - hmmmmm, say that out loud...."ri-val-ry" - with UCF is what constitutes one of the crown jewels of the conference, this might be the time to embrace it. I'm thinking that the games w/UCF are gonna be, going forward, what the games with WVU used to be like. We stand a better chance of packing the stadium for that game than we do with Tulsa and Uconn. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

In my opinion the importance of the rivalry to the conference will be determined on the relevance of the game to the conference championship and more importantly if the winner has a chance at the Access bowl slot.  If something meaningful is on the line then it becomes an interesting game to the rest of the conference fans and possibly draw some interest on a national level over time (that, however, is a big if).  That can be said about any game late in the year between members of this conference though.  if there is something meaningful on the line the game will draw interest.

If there is nothing meaningful up for grabs, this game is nothing more than passing interest for anyone not associated with either of the 2 schools.  If the conference title or major bowl slot is not on the line, I don't see where this game is interesting for other schools fans.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

That's a great way to build up interest in a conference. Good thing you aren't commissioner.

In a way, yes. A bit of honesty is the pile of poo goes a long way

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

Bottom line if we're prisoner in this conference with them for decades it'll be the conference's big rivalry. He also knows the location means we should both be at least decent most years so it won't be like unc vs duke in footvall

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

I think showcase is a better word. Two relatively unheard of teams from American with some bad blood. He hopes the game will garner interest. It will be noticed with it being on a Friday night, that is for sure.

And I wish some USF fans would stop making a 4 win streak sound like 40.

If you want to see what a rivalry history looks like check this article on my high school alma mater Riverview (Sarasota) and Sarasota which have met 55 times and whose game at one point was played on Thanksgiving and known as The Turkey Bowl until the Florida HS Athletics Association put a halt to all Thanksgiving day football games in the state, Note that Mike Ford's contribution to this rivalry are also mentioned.

Then there was Mike Ford.

He has seen this game from both sidelines – with the Rams as a sophomore on Nov. 1, 2002, then for the next two seasons as a Sailor (Sept. 19, 2003 and Sept. 17, 2004).

Whichever uniform he chose, Ford usually won. In ’02, he ran for 152 yards and three scores in Riverview’s 20-7 triumph at Ihrig Field. In ’03, making his Sarasota debut after transferring, he had 120 yards and two more TDs in the Sailors’ 37-15 victory.

As a senior in ’04, his 264 yards and two TDs led a 27-26 Sarasota win, after the Sailors had trailed by 11 in the fourth quarter.

His totals in the three regular-season games: 536 yards and seven touchdowns.

Only one problem. The two rivals met again in the Class 5A-Region 3 championship game on Nov. 26, 2004 at Ihrig Field. Riverview ended Ford’s prep career, holding him to 140 yards, and C.J. Hamilton’s 87-yard TD run clinched the Rams’ dominating 23-0 victory, the only shutout by either team since 1981.

It remains the only playoff game between the two rivals – and their only post-Thanksgiving matchup after the 1974 season. Ford remains 3-1 in the big game. Forever.

http://preps.heraldtribune.com/2011/10/26/sarasota-vs-riverview-the-names-and-games-that-shaped-one-of-floridas-best-football-rivalries/

Just a little clarification, it's not a "4 game winning streak", it's EVERY time we have ever played them.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I think showcase is a better word. Two relatively unheard of teams from American with some bad blood. He hopes the game will garner interest. It will be noticed with it being on a Friday night, that is for sure.

And I wish some USF fans would stop making a 4 win streak sound like 40.

If you want to see what a rivalry history looks like check this article on my high school alma mater Riverview (Sarasota) and Sarasota which have met 55 times and whose game at one point was played on Thanksgiving and known as The Turkey Bowl until the Florida HS Athletics Association put a halt to all Thanksgiving day football games in the state, Note that Mike Ford's contribution to this rivalry are also mentioned.

Then there was Mike Ford.

He has seen this game from both sidelines – with the Rams as a sophomore on Nov. 1, 2002, then for the next two seasons as a Sailor (Sept. 19, 2003 and Sept. 17, 2004).

Whichever uniform he chose, Ford usually won. In ’02, he ran for 152 yards and three scores in Riverview’s 20-7 triumph at Ihrig Field. In ’03, making his Sarasota debut after transferring, he had 120 yards and two more TDs in the Sailors’ 37-15 victory.

As a senior in ’04, his 264 yards and two TDs led a 27-26 Sarasota win, after the Sailors had trailed by 11 in the fourth quarter.

His totals in the three regular-season games: 536 yards and seven touchdowns.

Only one problem. The two rivals met again in the Class 5A-Region 3 championship game on Nov. 26, 2004 at Ihrig Field. Riverview ended Ford’s prep career, holding him to 140 yards, and C.J. Hamilton’s 87-yard TD run clinched the Rams’ dominating 23-0 victory, the only shutout by either team since 1981.

It remains the only playoff game between the two rivals – and their only post-Thanksgiving matchup after the 1974 season. Ford remains 3-1 in the big game. Forever.

http://preps.heraldtribune.com/2011/10/26/sarasota-vs-riverview-the-names-and-games-that-shaped-one-of-floridas-best-football-rivalries/

Hillsborough v Plant has been played since 1928 and used to be a Turkey Day game as well.

http://tbo.com/sports/preps/hillsborough-terriers/plant-hillsborough-prepare-for-th-clash-31927