Aresco: USF/UCF Rivalry Is Cornerstone of AAC.

slick1ru2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-american-mike-aresco-0630-20130629,0,973642.story

OS: You mention UCF and USF together. Do you intend to push that rivalry as a centerpiece in the conference?

Aresco:

"I think it's something that will certainly be a focus. I think they will earn the exposure . . . and will be a cornerstone of the reinvented league. I don't think there's much doubt about that. . . . We want people to know [what schools] are in the league and we want to develop rivalries, and UCF and USF is a natural rivalry. We have that football game on one of the final [Fridays] of the year, with great exposure on ESPN. It is an important rivalry game, and we put that front and center."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

God help us ...

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,649
  • Days Won:  51

64-12 rivalry??!!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

France still thinks they have a rivalry with Germany...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think showcase is a better word. Two relatively unheard of teams from American with some bad blood. He hopes the game will garner interest. It will be noticed with it being on a Friday night, that is for sure.

And I wish some USF fans would stop making a 4 win streak sound like 40.

If you want to see what a rivalry history looks like check this article on my high school alma mater Riverview (Sarasota) and Sarasota which have met 55 times and whose game at one point was played on Thanksgiving and known as The Turkey Bowl until the Florida HS Athletics Association put a halt to all Thanksgiving day football games in the state, Note that Mike Ford's contribution to this rivalry are also mentioned.

Then there was Mike Ford.

He has seen this game from both sidelines – with the Rams as a sophomore on Nov. 1, 2002, then for the next two seasons as a Sailor (Sept. 19, 2003 and Sept. 17, 2004).

Whichever uniform he chose, Ford usually won. In ’02, he ran for 152 yards and three scores in Riverview’s 20-7 triumph at Ihrig Field. In ’03, making his Sarasota debut after transferring, he had 120 yards and two more TDs in the Sailors’ 37-15 victory.

As a senior in ’04, his 264 yards and two TDs led a 27-26 Sarasota win, after the Sailors had trailed by 11 in the fourth quarter.

His totals in the three regular-season games: 536 yards and seven touchdowns.

Only one problem. The two rivals met again in the Class 5A-Region 3 championship game on Nov. 26, 2004 at Ihrig Field. Riverview ended Ford’s prep career, holding him to 140 yards, and C.J. Hamilton’s 87-yard TD run clinched the Rams’ dominating 23-0 victory, the only shutout by either team since 1981.

It remains the only playoff game between the two rivals – and their only post-Thanksgiving matchup after the 1974 season. Ford remains 3-1 in the big game. Forever.

http://preps.heraldtribune.com/2011/10/26/sarasota-vs-riverview-the-names-and-games-that-shaped-one-of-floridas-best-football-rivalries/

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

When aresco speaks, I think someone farted.... Guy needs to wipe his mouth with toilet paper

💩💨👀

• Upvote 2

When aresco speaks, I think someone farted.... Guy needs to wipe his mouth with toilet paper

That being said, I don't see how anyone could do a better job given the circumstance. What exactly can he control? The conference being raided? The basketball schools departing? ESPN dropping The American Blog? The perceptions of the Big East being an inferior conference? The pool of replacement teams? The amount of the TV contract? Idiot college presidents that contributed to the current state of the conference? The guy has a job no one wants and no one could excel at, plain and simple.

I'm with ya slick, just never liked political speech

Prefer a straight shooter

Not sure how he's saying that is political, but OK. Sure he was just drumming up local support for the series in Orlando. I think that the 2 Texas and OKL teams might have portential for an interesting rivalry, like UF, Miami and FSU do. Maybe promoting new rivalries is what he should be doing to drum up interest. Tulane v Memphis,Clash of the Bottom Dwellers. Might be a great game, lol.

Not sure how he's saying that is political, but OK. Sure he was just drumming up local support for the series in Orlando. I think that the 2 Texas and OKL teams might have portential for an interesting rivalry, like UF, Miami and FSU do. Maybe promoting new rivalries is what he should be doing to drum up interest. Tulane v Memphis,Clash of the Bottom Dwellers. Might be a great game, lol.

Not politics... Call it sugar coating