• Content Count:  66,125
  • Days Won:  172

so many great people contributed to no major championships

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

Years ago I went on a job interview to a school where the AD told me the goal he set for his programs was to make their conference tournament. This absolutely floored me at first, they were aspiring just to make the conference tournament ... then when I thought more about it, not everyone measures success the same way. The goal represented a step in the right direction for that school.

Right now, while national championships can be a goal; more realistically we claim success at lower levels, like Conference Champion ships, NCAA tournament appearances and big wins. Hopefully someday the goals will push higher, but even if they never do, it doesn't mean we don't have success.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

Years ago I went on a job interview to a school where the AD told me the goal he set for his programs was to make their conference tournament. This absolutely floored me at first, they were aspiring just to make the conference tournament ... then when I thought more about it, not everyone measures success the same way. The goal represented a step in the right direction for that school.

Right now, while national championships can be a goal; more realistically we claim success at lower levels, like Conference Champion ships, NCAA tournament appearances and big wins. Hopefully someday the goals will push higher, but even if they never do, it doesn't mean we don't have success.

Interesting.

I'd be interested to know which other schools were the frame of reference for that school.

At USF, we've always compared ourselves against UF and FSU (and later Miami, once they'd had some success)

So the thinking has to be, whatever they can do, we can do.

Ohio U (I'm guessing) doesn't compare themselves to Ohio State, they compare to Kent State. Just like FAMU's reference is cross-state BCC not cross-town FSU.

Also, most schools get in a conference and stay there. Take the Ivy for example, a great deal of the school's identity is created in juxtaposition to it conference rivals.

USF has jumped conferences so many times, we're like an unrooted Army Brat, unwilling and unable to settle down until we come to grips with our own identity first.

Are we a glorified commuter/ community college, which we were for the first 30-40 years? or a real university, standing tall and walking proud, as we've been for only the past 20-30 or so years?

Last night's BaseBulls played like the former, the SoftBulls and GolfBulls played like the latter.

Conference Champs Or Bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556

Interesting.

I'd be interested to know which other schools were the frame of reference for that school.

At USF, we've always compared ourselves against UF and FSU (and later Miami, once they'd had some success)

So the thinking has to be, whatever they can do, we can do.

Ohio U (I'm guessing) doesn't compare themselves to Ohio State, they compare to Kent State. Just like FAMU's reference is cross-state BCC not cross-town FSU.

Also, most schools get in a conference and stay there. Take the Ivy for example, a great deal of the school's identity is created in juxtaposition to it conference rivals.

USF has jumped conferences so many times, we're like an unrooted Army Brat, unwilling and unable to settle down until we come to grips with our own identity first.

Are we a glorified commuter/ community college, which we were for the first 30-40 years? or a real university, standing tall and walking proud, as we've been for only the past 20-30 or so years?

Last night's BaseBulls played like the former, the SoftBulls and GolfBulls played like the latter.

Conference Champs Or Bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Bulls!

They were/are a Southland Conference Member. Back when I visited, there were some Division I football programs who had their other sports in the Southland, now days, not so much.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049

Now there's a conference that's gone thru some changes too.

2bcb5ac9e203334ad56610199348be02.png

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Should be a minimum number of years they were a Bull...say at least two. Sorry JPP.

Not trying to diminish the player he is, but his contributions to USF are limited. He only started 6 or 7 games. When talking about a top 50 list of all athletic contributors from all sports I think there are many others that are deserving.

Good points.  Has he donated to USF?  If so, and depending on the amount, I think this should be part of the overall consideration.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071

JPP's donation is hearing South Florida every time the Giants are on tv. If you haven't noticed it is a lot of games per season on national television for that team in New Jersey

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

It makes perfect sense, especially in a landscape where the balance of resources is so heavily skewed in favor of the few like it is in college sports. Only one school can win a national title each year in each sport, and realistically there are about eight or nine schools each year in football that actually have a shot at that, and then some bigger-but-still-pretty-small-proportionally number of schools in basketball. Does that mean there is only one school, out of 120+ (in football) and more than 300 (in basketball) that has a successful season? Of course not. Same for conferences - is it impossible for more than school per conference to have a good season? Of course not. Anyone who says the only good season is a championship season is not only clueless, but also doing a disservice to the players, most of whom bust their asses even when they know they're at a school that actually has zero shot at winning championships because that school wasn't lucky enough to be good 50 or 60 years ago.

On topic, the only thing I really have to add to this thread, because any name I can think of has been mentioned already, is that Jim Leavitt is the only possible choice for No. 1. If he's not the top name on the list, it is invalid.

Edited by gobulls83

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

On topic, the only thing I really have to add to this thread, because any name I can think of has been mentioned already, is that Jim Leavitt is the only possible choice for No. 1. If he's not the top name on the list, it is invalid.

For me, the only other name at the top of the that list that wouldn't invalidate it would be Paul Griffin.