25 Most Important People in #USFBulls Sports History

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Why no Holtz?

"Ducks flying bottles at him"

He should be on the list due to the Firsts that happened in his tenure even if the team tanked halfway through his 3 seasons. First to beat Miami, Notre Dame, Louisville away. Arguably won USF's most prestigious bowl game with the victory over Clemson. Sure there is more. If he had lost all those games, it would have been expected and not much of a big deal because USF was an under dog for all of them.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

I was just throwing names out to be considered, not giving my list: Selvie and Grothe both belong on my list.

Also, as much as I want to be balance to all of our sports, this list has to be biased to football and men's basketball. The stage that those two sports play on is so much bigger than our other sports. Many deserving athletes from other sports can't make a list like this because simply not enough people were engaged and captivated by their careers. Take softball as an example. Mo Triner belongs on a list like this ... but I only put one softball player, Sara Nevins. Nevins got the spot simply because she was the best player on the team that captured attention by going to OKC.

Criteria for the list (as of now) is up to each person to determine. JPP belongs on my list, because I look at him as the first superstar to come out of USF at the 4 major professional sports in America. That idea, makes him important to USF, even if he was only a Bull for 1 year. It would be different if he was only a Bull for 1 year because he failed out of classes or got arrested .. he was only a Bull because he had the talent to be a star in the NFL.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556

Why no Holtz?

He should be on the list due to the Firsts that happened in his tenure even if the team tanked halfway through his 3 seasons. First to beat Miami, Notre Dame, Louisville away. Arguably won USF's most prestigious bowl game with the victory over Clemson. Sure there is more. If he had lost all those games, it would have been expected and not much of a big deal because USF was an under dog for all of them.

Holtz did win some big games. So did Robert McCullum. - both had similar careers at USF. Signature wins, but not enough overall winning. (I have a ton of respect for both of them, but neither belongs on this list, in my opinion)

Why no Holtz?

Holtz did win some big games. So did Robert McCullum. - both had similar careers at USF. Signature wins, but not enough overall winning. (I have a ton of respect for both of them, but neither belongs on this list, in my opinion)

Of all the games in USF football history, his away win against a Notre Dame team coached by Chip Kelly with 2 first round draft picks (4 total) has to be, at least on paper, one of the greatest teams USF ever beat. Not to mention the adversity of the weather in that game and its effects mentally and physically on the team. That alone, to me, puts him on the list. 

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,773

Grothe isn't the best QB to ever play at USF. Marquel Blackwell is. Truth be told, BJ Daniels had more talent than both Blackwell and Grothe (if you don't think so - check out the end of last season when BJ went down). However, the lack of coaching and talent around him limited his ability to succeed - BJ was a one man show (and being the only QB ever drafted cemented that fact). BJ carried the team on his shoulders - and when BJ left, we realized how little talent we actually had on the roster. If QB talent is directly correlated to wins or a stretch of wins, then Grothe looks great on paper.

The NFL is pretty much the end all when it comes to judging talent. Marquel was picked up as a free agent and actually was one of the final cuts for the Jets (and played a great pre-season game in his only start in the league). BJ was drafted by the 49ers (and will be carried on the roster as a QB per my sources into pre-season). Grothe - free agent pick up - but didn't make it to pre-season camp.  

I'll give Grothe this - he did have the signature win for the program against Auburn and the signature home win vs WVU when Ray J was rocking, but it would be tough to discount BJ's win at FSU or Notre Dame and/or Marquel's win vs Pitt at Pitt.

FWIW, I posed this question to Marquel a couple years back over some beers. His answer - BJ had the most talent of the three.

Just my two cents.

I don't think BJ was drafted as a QB, we'll have to see. He probably as seen almost as a Tebow type player.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Can't do this list without Matt Grothe. He's still the best QB we ever had... and without him we never reach #2 or have some of the big wins we've had over the years.

He'd be on the list for sure, but Blackwell was better.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I won't argue who is the more talented QB, but certainly based on career accomplishments I would put both Grothe and BJ on the list. Grothe is the all time Big East leader in yards and BJ would have broken that record if he had a finished out the season

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276
  • Days Won:  0

Ross Gload was one of the better baseball players that made it to the show and Andre Hall did some pretty good things for USF when he was our only RB

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Maybe we should have 3 lists: For donors, players, and administrators/coaches

Folks like Blackwell or Ant Henry could be on multiple lists?