QB Transfer???

BullyPulpit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

There's simply no evidence to say that B.J. Daniels' arm is "much" better than Clint Trickett. Better? Maybe. That's a subjective, qualitative statement. Maybe you think it's better. Maybe I don't. But "much better" as if there's a great deal of distance between the two in this regard? No. I'm sorry but that's just incorrect.

First off, B.J. has a great arm. That has never, ever been in question. It's the fact that he's scattershot and has trouble reading the field that is the reason he's not seriously being considered for the NFL. So if you're going to sit here and say Clint Trickett's arm isn't all that special because it compares favorably to B.J. Daniels' arm, sorry but that's just not a very good point to make.

By the way that Carlton Mitchell throw you're talking about from B.J. is actually right in between 57 and 58 yards in distance. You shorted Daniels a little bit. I wouldn't by any means call that throw "just a flick of the wrist". That's an incorrect characterization relative to his step into and hip snap during the throw, but nonetheless it's a great find. That's a really great throw by Daniels. Prime example of why I've been saying for years that the pure combination of throw power and running ability in Daniels is the best I've seen since Michael Vick. Of course, he's not Vick. He doesn't have Vick's accuracy, ability to read the field, or quite his speed. But the pure combo of running ability and throw POWER...haven't seen it since Vick. Nonetheless if you're going to come here and say Clint Trickett doesn't have a great arm because B.J. Daniels has throws that look similar, I'm gonna say...that's because B.J. has a great arm. We can agree that Grothe does not have a strong arm. I got about 49 yards for that throw. What we're not going to agree on though is whether a 49 or 50 yard throw can be equated to a 61 or 62 yard throw. I'm sorry, but that's like saying a guy with 4.3 speed is not all that fast because this other player who isn't that fast ran a 4.6 in the 40.

I didn't say that Trickett's throw against Clemson was 63 yards, but I can see how you might be confused. I took liberties because I've already isolated that throw about two other times in this thread. The throw was between 61 and 62 yards through the air. That's what it was. I have a lot of experience triangulating these throw distances. All I'm trying to say is, that's a rare distance. When I brought up 63 yards, I wasn't trying to say that was the distance Trickett got in this case, I was saying that once I did actually track a 63 yard completion during a game by I believe Nate Davis, which constitutes technically the biggest throw I've ever seen. But Trickett may own the second longest I've tracked, out of thousands.

Let me give you some other examples to illustrate my point though. Mike Glennon has a strong arm. Most NFL evaluators consider him to have a strong arm. Watch him on tape, he has a strong arm. This is half the reason evaluators are drawn to him to begin with, because it sure as heck isn't the numbers or consistency. Glennon competed recently along with Jordan Rodgers, Ryan Nassib and E.J. Manuel in the Quicken Loans All Star Challenge. They did a distance throw. They had no pads on, there was no timing of the event, no pressure or awkward movement, indoors so no wind, they were free to get a full run-up to their launch. Mike Glennon topped out at 56 yards. That's a strong-armed quarterback with no pads on, no game situation and a full run-up. Ryan Nassib (a baseball guy, also known for being a strong-armed prospect) did 60 yards. No pads, full run-up, non-game situation, 60 yards. I forget what Jordan Rodgers did but I believe it was less than Glennon.

Of course, E.J. Manuel launched it 66 yards, but everyone knows that man has a hose. He's got an elite arm in terms of arm strength. Yet this was a non-game situation without pads on. When Trickett launched 61 or 62 yards it was a game situation, outdoors with wind, rolling left and throwing back right, with pads on.

If the point you're trying to make is that Clint Trickett doesn't have a very good arm, I'm just not going to agree with you. And I don't think NFL evaluators would either. I'm not asking you to trust me on this or anything like that, your own opinion is up to you. I'm just saying that I'm very, very comfortable in my own opinion on the matter...from long years of experience.

I never said Trickett doesn't have a good arm.  It's obvious he does.  We agree.  I just don't think he has an elite arm.  Dude weighs like 175 pounds max.  Now hopefully he can put on some weight if he comes to USF.  I think BJ's is much better (personal opinion.  BJ can throw frozen ropes).  And by much better, I think he can throw a ball at least 5-10 yards farther, maybe more.  I may have exaggerated a little, but BJ's 58 yard throw was very effortless.  It didn't look like he loaded up and put his full effort into it.  I think he can throw a ball at least 10 yards more.  I think BJ could throw one 70 under the right circumstances.  Ever taken a look at his guns.  I think we basically agree.  Trickett has a good, but not elite arm.  At least that's my opinion.  I think Grothe with his mediocre arm could have squeezed out 55.  We know he can do 50.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

There's simply no evidence to say that B.J. Daniels' arm is "much" better than Clint Trickett. Better? Maybe. That's a subjective, qualitative statement. Maybe you think it's better. Maybe I don't. But "much better" as if there's a great deal of distance between the two in this regard? No. I'm sorry but that's just incorrect.

First off, B.J. has a great arm. That has never, ever been in question. It's the fact that he's scattershot and has trouble reading the field that is the reason he's not seriously being considered for the NFL. So if you're going to sit here and say Clint Trickett's arm isn't all that special because it compares favorably to B.J. Daniels' arm, sorry but that's just not a very good point to make.

By the way that Carlton Mitchell throw you're talking about from B.J. is actually right in between 57 and 58 yards in distance. You shorted Daniels a little bit. I wouldn't by any means call that throw "just a flick of the wrist". That's an incorrect characterization relative to his step into and hip snap during the throw, but nonetheless it's a great find. That's a really great throw by Daniels. Prime example of why I've been saying for years that the pure combination of throw power and running ability in Daniels is the best I've seen since Michael Vick. Of course, he's not Vick. He doesn't have Vick's accuracy, ability to read the field, or quite his speed. But the pure combo of running ability and throw POWER...haven't seen it since Vick. Nonetheless if you're going to come here and say Clint Trickett doesn't have a great arm because B.J. Daniels has throws that look similar, I'm gonna say...that's because B.J. has a great arm. We can agree that Grothe does not have a strong arm. I got about 49 yards for that throw. What we're not going to agree on though is whether a 49 or 50 yard throw can be equated to a 61 or 62 yard throw. I'm sorry, but that's like saying a guy with 4.3 speed is not all that fast because this other player who isn't that fast ran a 4.6 in the 40.

I didn't say that Trickett's throw against Clemson was 63 yards, but I can see how you might be confused. I took liberties because I've already isolated that throw about two other times in this thread. The throw was between 61 and 62 yards through the air. That's what it was. I have a lot of experience triangulating these throw distances. All I'm trying to say is, that's a rare distance. When I brought up 63 yards, I wasn't trying to say that was the distance Trickett got in this case, I was saying that once I did actually track a 63 yard completion during a game by I believe Nate Davis, which constitutes technically the biggest throw I've ever seen. But Trickett may own the second longest I've tracked, out of thousands.

Let me give you some other examples to illustrate my point though. Mike Glennon has a strong arm. Most NFL evaluators consider him to have a strong arm. Watch him on tape, he has a strong arm. This is half the reason evaluators are drawn to him to begin with, because it sure as heck isn't the numbers or consistency. Glennon competed recently along with Jordan Rodgers, Ryan Nassib and E.J. Manuel in the Quicken Loans All Star Challenge. They did a distance throw. They had no pads on, there was no timing of the event, no pressure or awkward movement, indoors so no wind, they were free to get a full run-up to their launch. Mike Glennon topped out at 56 yards. That's a strong-armed quarterback with no pads on, no game situation and a full run-up. Ryan Nassib (a baseball guy, also known for being a strong-armed prospect) did 60 yards. No pads, full run-up, non-game situation, 60 yards. I forget what Jordan Rodgers did but I believe it was less than Glennon.

Of course, E.J. Manuel launched it 66 yards, but everyone knows that man has a hose. He's got an elite arm in terms of arm strength. Yet this was a non-game situation without pads on. When Trickett launched 61 or 62 yards it was a game situation, outdoors with wind, rolling left and throwing back right, with pads on.

If the point you're trying to make is that Clint Trickett doesn't have a very good arm, I'm just not going to agree with you. And I don't think NFL evaluators would either. I'm not asking you to trust me on this or anything like that, your own opinion is up to you. I'm just saying that I'm very, very comfortable in my own opinion on the matter...from long years of experience.

I never said Trickett doesn't have a good arm.  It's obvious he does.  We agree.  I just don't think he has an elite arm.  Dude weighs like 175 pounds max.  Now hopefully he can put on some weight if he comes to USF.  I think BJ's is much better (personal opinion.  BJ can throw frozen ropes).  And by much better, I think he can throw a ball at least 5-10 yards farther, maybe more.  I may have exaggerated a little, but BJ's 58 yard throw was very effortless.  It didn't look like he loaded up and put his full effort into it.  I think he can throw a ball at least 10 yards more.  I think BJ could throw one 70 under the right circumstances.  Ever taken a look at his guns.  I think we basically agree.  Trickett has a good, but not elite arm.  At least that's my opinion.  I think Grothe with his mediocre arm could have squeezed out 55.  We know he can do 50.  

I saw reports that after having his Celiacs diagnosed and treated he is packing on #s.Reports are that he is up to #190.  Do you have have a source which say's "Dude weighs like 175 pounds max" or are you just spreading Texas topsoil(cowshit) in the  Bulls Pen? Oh and any comparison of Tricketts arm strength and BJs is inane. If the size of his "guns" were a determinative factor, Pork Chop would have been able to chunk the ball 100 yards.

All that said, the whole "my throw is longer than your throw" is a lame argument. Good QB's rely on a lot more that the one distance throw they might make every 5 weeks. BJ stuggled with a lot of game elements, most importantly, clutch performance. You just can't fumble or throw the pick on a critical game winning drive. He did it consistently and the team lost because of it.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

You just can't fumble or throw the pick on a critical game winning drive. He did it consistently and the team lost because of it.

Not this ******** again .... Consistently?? Did it happen a couple of times? Absolutely .... but what happened a helluva lot more consistently was BJ getting us a 4th quarter lead and the defense rolling over like France to give it back ... or in one case, a usually reliable kicker missing a chip shot game winner.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

You just can't fumble or throw the pick on a critical game winning drive. He did it consistently and the team lost because of it.

Not this ******** again .... Consistently?? Did it happen a couple of times? Absolutely .... but what happened a helluva lot more consistently was BJ getting us a 4th quarter lead and the defense rolling over like France to give it back ... or in one case, a usually reliable kicker missing a chip shot game winner.

At your age, remembering back a year or too becomes difficult. I understand, I have an elderly mother who struggles sometimes.

I saw reports that after having his Celiacs diagnosed and treated he is packing on #s.Reports are that he is up to #190.  Do you have have a source which say's "Dude weighs like 175 pounds max" or are you just spreading Texas topsoil(cowshit) in the  Bulls Pen? Oh and any comparison of Tricketts arm strength and BJs is inane. If the size of his "guns" were a determinative factor, Pork Chop would have been able to chunk the ball 100 yards.

All that said, the whole "my throw is longer than your throw" is a lame argument. Good QB's rely on a lot more that the one distance throw they might make every 5 weeks. BJ stuggled with a lot of game elements, most importantly, clutch performance. You just can't fumble or throw the pick on a critical game winning drive. He did it consistently and the team lost because of it.

My source that he around 175 is my eyes.  Caveat:  I did not see the FSU spring game, so if he looked bigger, then I could be wrong.  He previously had the thinnest legs of any QB in D1A.  This is not a knock.  He may turn out to be a great QB at USF.  Hope he does.  Also, they lie about weights.  Example:

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/09/28/11/Celiac-disease-forces-FSU-QB-to-change-d/landing_fsu.html?blockID=570708

"Trickett, who said in the spring that he weighed 165 but is listed at 180 by FSU, was often eating peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches but not gaining weight."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/fsu-backup-finds-weight-gain-plan/1194663

The somewhat gangly Trickett just couldn't put pounds on his 6-foot-1 frame no matter how much he'd try. He weighed 155 pounds when he enrolled 21 months ago and is listed at 180 now, though he looks closer to 155.

Now he may legitemately weigh more now.  Didn't see photos of him at the FSU spring game, but going off photos of last year, I don't think he was 190. 

PS:  This recent article says he figures to weigh 190 by fall, not that he weighs 190.  According to people on the FSU board, he looks about the same.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/football/story/_/id/9144794/clint-trickett-looking-beat-younger-more-flashy-florida-state-seminoles-teammates

"You pass by a Krispy Kreme every time you go home, and you're kicking yourself," he joked, but after playing at about 165 pounds two years ago, he figures to check in at "a pretty big 190" by the start of fall camp.

Edited by BullsFanInTX

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

:popcorn:

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

BullsfaninTX, why does it matter how much he weighs?

It doesn't really.  I made one statement about it in one comment.  I was questioned about it, so I simply tried to give info to back up my claim.  Other than that, don't really care.  Only reason it came up was I said BJ had a bigger arm when someone said how great Trickett's arm is, and as one of my reasons, I inferred he is just bigger than Trickett (by virtue of his weight).  But we've beat this topic up, so let's move on.  PS:  Tricketts weight was always a hot topic on FSU boards.

I hope he comes to USF, solves USF's QB situation, is all conference, and get's USF out of the AAC and into ACC or B12. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

It doesn't really.  I made one statement about it in one comment.  I was questioned about it, so I simply tried to give info to back up my claim.  Other than that, don't really care.  Only reason it came up was I said BJ had a bigger arm when someone said how great Trickett's arm is, and as one of my reasons, I inferred he is just bigger than Trickett (by virtue of his weight).  But we've beat this topic up, so let's move on.  PS:  Tricketts weight was always a hot topic on FSU boards.

I hope he comes to USF, solves USF's QB situation, is all conference, and get's USF out of the AAC and into ACC or B12. 

BJ has some serious guns. Just like how schools lie about weight, we always had BJ listed at 6'1". I've stood next to him he's not 6 let alone 6'1" Nothing against BJ at all, I just don't understand why schools lie about such easily proven numbers.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

Trickett weighed about 180 lbs at the spring game and plans to be 190 lbs by the end of summer. That's why I said 190 lbs. It was straight out of his own mouth. If I'm an NFL evaluator I see that and take note of it. Prior to his Celiac's diagnosis that 190 lbs goal wouldn't have been realistic. But then, he would also weigh about 10-15 lbs less than he CURRENTLY does, too. So his weight is on an up trend. That's why I say that two years from now I figure he's checking into the Combine at 200 lbs.