QB Transfer???

BullyPulpit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Do I see it, yes, because he grew up here, his extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) and friends are still here. And Millard is so far in front of Childress per the guy saying so that I see Trickett getting 50% of the snaps once he steps on campus. As Millard will probably transfer down since Childress is not ready.

Let me restate "commit" as being possibly even applying/scheduling classes.

Guess we will have to see if you're right or not. Should find out very soon if what you say is true or bs.

Don't know why he'd take 50% of the snaps (which nobodoy really does) and sit on the bench AGAIN for WVU when he could take 100% of the snaps  for 2 years at USF. If extended family is THAT important, why didn't he go to school somewhere up north in the fist place? To each their own though.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

GA tweets that Trickett still has trips to take.

Ex-FSU QB Clint Trickett is at West Virginia this weekend, will also visit USF. Michigan, Auburn may also get visits, his father Rick said.

• Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Sounds like he won't be committing anywhere today. Better check your source there jvwvu, I smell some BULLSHIZ

@gregauman: Update on FSU QB transfer Clint Trickett, who is at West Virginia, will visit USF and may look at Michigan & Auburn. http://t.co/jbLJf19OWm

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

****, we can't catch a break with our QB situation. Aside from the family connection, he may want to go to WVU so it'll be easier for him to get into coaching there maybe, since he knows he isn't NFL material anyways. That's the only thing I can see if he favors them over us, because it'll be a hell of a lot easier to win the QB job here. If he's thinking about his future and the next step after football, it could be a smart move for him. We'll see.

Speaking as someone that evaluates college to pro players, if he "knows" that he's not NFL material, then he knows something I don't.

Trickett is skinny for the NFL, but since his Celiac's diagnosis that's just going to be a drawn out process, getting more meat on his bones. You look at his neck and you can tell his weight is not for lack of trying. He runs about 190 lbs and if I'm an NFL evaluator I'm thinking he'll be at 200+ lbs with great muscle tone by the time he gets to the pros. The more time and experience he has dealing with Celiac's, the more he'll pack on successfully.

As for arm talent, if he were thicker and blacker, you might even see some Jamarcus Russell comparisons. His arm is that good. That throw he made as a freshman for a touchdown against Clemson was as good as I have *ever* seen. I want to say that I've seen a completion that went 63 yards in distance through the air one time, I think perhaps from Nate Davis formerly of Ball State whose arm talent was absolutely ludicrous (dumb as a box of rocks though). But I don't think that involved rolling left under pressure and throwing back to the right. I know I've seen one from Nate Davis at a dead run to his left that was real impressive, drew comparisons to Elway, but it was more 50 yards not really 60+ yards.

The great equalizers are pressure and speed. Pressure takes guys that should be great on paper and makes them terrible. The speed of the game can interfere with a player's ability to show his talent. Those are the things we really need to see more of, but you're not going to see more of them until he plays a lot more. There are things he does with his feet and his movement that I really like as far as handling the pressure. But the speed of the game and quality/timing of his reads/decisions still look a little problematic to me. But he's got two years of starting to start getting those things down better!

Would be really premature of him to start planning to be a coach thinking he's never going to play in the NFL. As things stand I'd give him a camp tryout based on what he's already shown just as a backup that's hardly played.

BJ Daniels has a much bigger arm than Clint Trickett. Re-watch the throw Trickett made against Clemson. He actually threw it 60 in the air, not 63. He has a good arm, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a great one.

Watch this highlight of BJ to Carlton Mitchell, where BJ threw it 56 yards in the air, BARELY FLICKING HIS WRIST EFFORTLESSLY, It is obvious that if BJ put his complete effort, he could thrown one 70 yards. I'd bet money BJ could throw a ball 70 yards. He could also throw frozen ropes better than Trickett. Watch at about the 4:40 mark.

Grothe, who by no means had a strong arm, could also throw probably between 55-60 in the air. The TD throw also to Mitchell against WVU went about 50 in the air, at about the 3:30 mark.

I'm sure there are better examples, I just don't feel like digging through 7 years of BJ and MG highlights.

Sad how far away that season seems.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

AW v2.0

Edited by Skingraft

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

BJ Daniels has a much bigger arm than Clint Trickett.  Re-watch the throw Trickett made against Clemson.  He actually threw it 60 in the air, not 63.  He has a good arm, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a great one.

Watch this highlight of BJ to Carlton Mitchell, where BJ threw it 56 yards in the air, BARELY FLICKING HIS WRIST EFFORTLESSLY, It is obvious that if BJ put his complete effort, he could thrown one 70 yards.  I'd bet money BJ could throw a ball 70 yards.  He could also throw frozen ropes better than Trickett.  Watch at about the 4:40 mark. 

Grothe, who by no means had a strong arm, could also throw probably between 55-60 in the air. The TD throw also to Mitchell against WVU went about 50 in the air, at about the 3:30 mark.

I'm sure there are better examples, I just don't feel like digging through 7 years of BJ and MG highlights. 

There's simply no evidence to say that B.J. Daniels' arm is "much" better than Clint Trickett. Better? Maybe. That's a subjective, qualitative statement. Maybe you think it's better. Maybe I don't. But "much better" as if there's a great deal of distance between the two in this regard? No. I'm sorry but that's just incorrect.

First off, B.J. has a great arm. That has never, ever been in question. It's the fact that he's scattershot and has trouble reading the field that is the reason he's not seriously being considered for the NFL. So if you're going to sit here and say Clint Trickett's arm isn't all that special because it compares favorably to B.J. Daniels' arm, sorry but that's just not a very good point to make.

By the way that Carlton Mitchell throw you're talking about from B.J. is actually right in between 57 and 58 yards in distance. You shorted Daniels a little bit. I wouldn't by any means call that throw "just a flick of the wrist". That's an incorrect characterization relative to his step into and hip snap during the throw, but nonetheless it's a great find. That's a really great throw by Daniels. Prime example of why I've been saying for years that the pure combination of throw power and running ability in Daniels is the best I've seen since Michael Vick. Of course, he's not Vick. He doesn't have Vick's accuracy, ability to read the field, or quite his speed. But the pure combo of running ability and throw POWER...haven't seen it since Vick. Nonetheless if you're going to come here and say Clint Trickett doesn't have a great arm because B.J. Daniels has throws that look similar, I'm gonna say...that's because B.J. has a great arm. We can agree that Grothe does not have a strong arm. I got about 49 yards for that throw. What we're not going to agree on though is whether a 49 or 50 yard throw can be equated to a 61 or 62 yard throw. I'm sorry, but that's like saying a guy with 4.3 speed is not all that fast because this other player who isn't that fast ran a 4.6 in the 40.

I didn't say that Trickett's throw against Clemson was 63 yards, but I can see how you might be confused. I took liberties because I've already isolated that throw about two other times in this thread. The throw was between 61 and 62 yards through the air. That's what it was. I have a lot of experience triangulating these throw distances. All I'm trying to say is, that's a rare distance. When I brought up 63 yards, I wasn't trying to say that was the distance Trickett got in this case, I was saying that once I did actually track a 63 yard completion during a game by I believe Nate Davis, which constitutes technically the biggest throw I've ever seen. But Trickett may own the second longest I've tracked, out of thousands.

Let me give you some other examples to illustrate my point though. Mike Glennon has a strong arm. Most NFL evaluators consider him to have a strong arm. Watch him on tape, he has a strong arm. This is half the reason evaluators are drawn to him to begin with, because it sure as heck isn't the numbers or consistency. Glennon competed recently along with Jordan Rodgers, Ryan Nassib and E.J. Manuel in the Quicken Loans All Star Challenge. They did a distance throw. They had no pads on, there was no timing of the event, no pressure or awkward movement, indoors so no wind, they were free to get a full run-up to their launch. Mike Glennon topped out at 56 yards. That's a strong-armed quarterback with no pads on, no game situation and a full run-up. Ryan Nassib (a baseball guy, also known for being a strong-armed prospect) did 60 yards. No pads, full run-up, non-game situation, 60 yards. I forget what Jordan Rodgers did but I believe it was less than Glennon.

Of course, E.J. Manuel launched it 66 yards, but everyone knows that man has a hose. He's got an elite arm in terms of arm strength. Yet this was a non-game situation without pads on. When Trickett launched 61 or 62 yards it was a game situation, outdoors with wind, rolling left and throwing back right, with pads on.

If the point you're trying to make is that Clint Trickett doesn't have a very good arm, I'm just not going to agree with you. And I don't think NFL evaluators would either. I'm not asking you to trust me on this or anything like that, your own opinion is up to you. I'm just saying that I'm very, very comfortable in my own opinion on the matter...from long years of experience.

Edited by ckparrothead

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I want Trickett as much as the anyone, but to even toss around ANY comments regarding his NFL prospects at this point is laughable. He was a marginal talent out of high school and has done nothing to change that at this point. Could he blow up the next two years, sure. But right now, you need to tap the brakes.

And the evidence that BJ has a much better arm: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1919

I don't think Trickett is on one of these lists.

Edited by JTrue

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I would have started Trickett over BJ or EJ, and if he goes to WVU I hope he doesn't ride the bench cause he's exciting to watch.  It sounds like his chances of starting at WVU are at 50% for both years while if he goes here it's 90% or greater.

Edit: IMO^

Edited by usfbullrider

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

Brion Carnes is (most likely) leaving Nebraska. Think USF is an option since Taggart recruited him out of HS?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

He'll be at WVU game and see good QB play ... Then he'll see USF's Spring tape ...

Depends on if he wants to start!

Go BULLS !!!