QB Transfer???

BullyPulpit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

In other words, cheer for Ford Childress. Hard.

If Paul Millard kills it, that's a little bit of a tough call. I don't think ultimately Millard is the biggest threat to Trickett in 2013 or especially 2014. But then, I guess it depends on just how good Millard looks. I mean if we're talking 12 yards per attempt with an 80 percent completion and a bunch of touchdowns...Trickett's got to be thinking, are you sure I can come in here fresh to an offense I don't know and beat these guys?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,472
  • Days Won:  14

@gregauman: Fan asked USF coach Willie Taggart about possibility of a QB transferring from FSU: (big smile) "I have no idea what you're talking about."

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

****, we can't catch a break with our QB situation. Aside from the family connection, he may want to go to WVU so it'll be easier for him to get into coaching there maybe, since he knows he isn't NFL material anyways. That's the only thing I can see if he favors them over us, because it'll be a hell of a lot easier to win the QB job here. If he's thinking about his future and the next step after football, it could be a smart move for him. We'll see.

Speaking as someone that evaluates college to pro players, if he "knows" that he's not NFL material, then he knows something I don't.

Trickett is skinny for the NFL, but since his Celiac's diagnosis that's just going to be a drawn out process, getting more meat on his bones. You look at his neck and you can tell his weight is not for lack of trying. He runs about 190 lbs and if I'm an NFL evaluator I'm thinking he'll be at 200+ lbs with great muscle tone by the time he gets to the pros. The more time and experience he has dealing with Celiac's, the more he'll pack on successfully.

As for arm talent, if he were thicker and blacker, you might even see some Jamarcus Russell comparisons. His arm is that good. That throw he made as a freshman for a touchdown against Clemson was as good as I have *ever* seen. I want to say that I've seen a completion that went 63 yards in distance through the air one time, I think perhaps from Nate Davis formerly of Ball State whose arm talent was absolutely ludicrous (dumb as a box of rocks though). But I don't think that involved rolling left under pressure and throwing back to the right. I know I've seen one from Nate Davis at a dead run to his left that was real impressive, drew comparisons to Elway, but it was more 50 yards not really 60+ yards.

The great equalizers are pressure and speed. Pressure takes guys that should be great on paper and makes them terrible. The speed of the game can interfere with a player's ability to show his talent. Those are the things we really need to see more of, but you're not going to see more of them until he plays a lot more. There are things he does with his feet and his movement that I really like as far as handling the pressure. But the speed of the game and quality/timing of his reads/decisions still look a little problematic to me. But he's got two years of starting to start getting those things down better!

Would be really premature of him to start planning to be a coach thinking he's never going to play in the NFL. As things stand I'd give him a camp tryout based on what he's already shown just as a backup that's hardly played.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

This statement is NOT a reflection on him at all. BUT, I'm instituting the AW rule for myself. If he comes here, great if he doesn't, we have who we have and I will support them 100%.

Wake me up when an announcement's been made.

Edited by Bull-by-Marriage
  • Upvote 1

True. Sensible thing to do.

To me sports fandom is all about getting caught up in the grit and the emotion of the ups and downs. Otherwise you're not really a fan just an analyst. So I don't mind getting caught up in hoping the guy comes here and leads the Bulls to a perfect season with a BCS Championship, blah blah blah, etc.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Hope is free

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

True. Sensible thing to do.

To me sports fandom is all about getting caught up in the grit and the emotion of the ups and downs. Otherwise you're not really a fan just an analyst. So I don't mind getting caught up in hoping the guy comes here and leads the Bulls to a perfect season with a BCS Championship, blah blah blah, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I may follow from reputable news services, but I am going to avoid the twitter/blog type "info".

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594

Echoing parrotead:  We are Ford Childress fans tomorrow!  Anyone who wants Trickett to come here will want to do so.

Apparently there are two other schools, not including Kentucky, that he will visit.  Those schools aren't known yet though.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

I was told he will be here today and commit.

Then will watch spring game. Ckpaorrt has alot of good basis for QB but Ford is behind Millard right now and we picked up our 2014recruit QB in William Crest.

I expect Trickett to start 2 years here then Crest will compete with Childress for starting job.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

****, we can't catch a break with our QB situation. Aside from the family connection, he may want to go to WVU so it'll be easier for him to get into coaching there maybe, since he knows he isn't NFL material anyways. That's the only thing I can see if he favors them over us, because it'll be a hell of a lot easier to win the QB job here. If he's thinking about his future and the next step after football, it could be a smart move for him. We'll see.

Speaking as someone that evaluates college to pro players, if he "knows" that he's not NFL material, then he knows something I don't.

Trickett is skinny for the NFL, but since his Celiac's diagnosis that's just going to be a drawn out process, getting more meat on his bones. You look at his neck and you can tell his weight is not for lack of trying. He runs about 190 lbs and if I'm an NFL evaluator I'm thinking he'll be at 200+ lbs with great muscle tone by the time he gets to the pros. The more time and experience he has dealing with Celiac's, the more he'll pack on successfully.

As for arm talent, if he were thicker and blacker, you might even see some Jamarcus Russell comparisons. His arm is that good. That throw he made as a freshman for a touchdown against Clemson was as good as I have *ever* seen. I want to say that I've seen a completion that went 63 yards in distance through the air one time, I think perhaps from Nate Davis formerly of Ball State whose arm talent was absolutely ludicrous (dumb as a box of rocks though). But I don't think that involved rolling left under pressure and throwing back to the right. I know I've seen one from Nate Davis at a dead run to his left that was real impressive, drew comparisons to Elway, but it was more 50 yards not really 60+ yards.

The great equalizers are pressure and speed. Pressure takes guys that should be great on paper and makes them terrible. The speed of the game can interfere with a player's ability to show his talent. Those are the things we really need to see more of, but you're not going to see more of them until he plays a lot more. There are things he does with his feet and his movement that I really like as far as handling the pressure. But the speed of the game and quality/timing of his reads/decisions still look a little problematic to me. But he's got two years of starting to start getting those things down better!

Would be really premature of him to start planning to be a coach thinking he's never going to play in the NFL. As things stand I'd give him a camp tryout based on what he's already shown just as a backup that's hardly played.

BJ Daniels has a much bigger arm than Clint Trickett.  Re-watch the throw Trickett made against Clemson.  He actually threw it 60 in the air, not 63.  He has a good arm, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a great one.

Watch this highlight of BJ to Carlton Mitchell, where BJ threw it 56 yards in the air, BARELY FLICKING HIS WRIST EFFORTLESSLY, It is obvious that if BJ put his complete effort, he could thrown one 70 yards.  I'd bet money BJ could throw a ball 70 yards.  He could also throw frozen ropes better than Trickett.  Watch at about the 4:40 mark. 

Grothe, who by no means had a strong arm, could also throw probably between 55-60 in the air. The TD throw also to Mitchell against WVU went about 50 in the air, at about the 3:30 mark.

I'm sure there are better examples, I just don't feel like digging through 7 years of BJ and MG highlights. 

Edited by BullsFanInTX