What would convince you to increase donations to athletics?

SilverBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Chicken and egg.

Without the increase in donations, there won't be any increases in results.

Without an increase in results, there won't be any increases in donations.

How to break the vicious cycle?

Doug will be the highest paid AD in the NBE. I really think we throw the "fire" word around a lot, but I am slowly seeing the merits in hiring someone more in line with our:

-Budget

-Expectations

Our FB program AND b-ball program are at the bottom of their conference. At some point you have to hold someone accountable... right?

And what about last year when our BB team went further than all but 16 universities in the country?  Should have fired him right after that I guess? Or after the softball team went to the World Series among the top 8 in the country?  No one is more fed up with BB this year than me.  I just don't think Doug is making real bad decisions.  Things don't always work out.  Marlins last year is a great example.  You just can't explain some stuff.

Without a doubt!  I mean there is the elephant in the room of who gives an extension to Skip Holtz!  But worse than that really, our entire Athletic Department is ran ineffectively.  There is not sufficient community engagement or sponsorship.  When the department reaches out to fans it is usually AFTER an event has occurred.  I think Doug WAS the absolute right guy to grow us from very small potatoes to moderate.  I do not think he is the right guy to take us to the next level.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Chicken and egg.

Without the increase in donations, there won't be any increases in results.

Without an increase in results, there won't be any increases in donations.

How to break the vicious cycle?

Doug will be the highest paid AD in the NBE. I really think we throw the "fire" word around a lot, but I am slowly seeing the merits in hiring someone more in line with our:

-Budget

-Expectations

Our FB program AND b-ball program are at the bottom of their conference. At some point you have to hold someone accountable... right?

And what about last year when our BB team went further than all but 16 universities in the country?  Should have fired him right after that I guess? Or after the softball team went to the World Series among the top 8 in the country?  No one is more fed up with BB this year than me.  I just don't think Doug is making real bad decisions.  Things don't always work out.  Marlins last year is a great example.  You just can't explain some stuff.

Without a doubt!  I mean there is the elephant in the room of who gives an extension to Skip Holtz!  But worse than that really, our entire Athletic Department is ran ineffectively.  There is not sufficient community engagement or sponsorship.  When the department reaches out to fans it is usually AFTER an event has occurred.  I think Doug WAS the absolute right guy to grow us from very small potatoes to moderate.  I do not think he is the right guy to take us to the next level.

Well then, the solution is clear. All we have to do is set up a situation and goad him into slapping a player, and we can get rid of him

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

You're all crazy; bacon of the month is the way to go

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

My donations will increase when my student loans are paid off. Currently, I'm donating $214 a month for the next 14+ years. It was a very expensive party. Too bad student loans aren't decreased based on one's final GPA... I would be close to having them paid off by now.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Admit they screwed up the Leavitt thing.

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,565
  • Days Won:  10

Holtz really put us in the toilet. 

• Topic Count:  102
  • Content Count:  1,679
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly, I think Athletics spending has outpaced other parts of the University and we just have not seen (and are not going to see) the expected ROI.  I wish it were not so.  Some of this was beyond anything USF could have done, but some of it... 

I think it's time to focus on USF's academic programs for a while.  Athletics is not going to put USF in the national spotlight in any significant way in the foreseeable future.  Again, I wish this were not the case, but unfortunately it is.  Solid, continuous investment in Academics will.  Not as flashy, not as glamorous, but a much more reliable way of increasing the value of a USF degree for all of us.  

Also, if USF had better academic credentials we would be a much easier sell to a better athletic conference. So to me the wise donor will look someplace other than Athletics.  

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Honestly, I think Athletics spending has outpaced other parts of the University and we just have not seen (and are not going to see) the expected ROI.  I wish it were not so.  Some of this was beyond anything USF could have done, but some of it... 

I think it's time to focus on USF's academic programs for a while.  Athletics is not going to put USF in the national spotlight in any significant way in the foreseeable future.  Again, I wish this were not the case, but unfortunately it is.  Solid, continuous investment in Academics will.  Not as flashy, not as glamorous, but a much more reliable way of increasing the value of a USF degree for all of us.  

Also, if USF had better academic credentials we would be a much easier sell to a better athletic conference. So to me the wise donor will look someplace other than Athletics.  

Academics takes even longer than athletics to see a return on investment. Young schools like us just don't get much respect. We are a little over 50 years old and started out with humble beginnings. I believe academics is on the rise and with the current exposure that ATHLETICS has brought, better students have been applying. You have to give it time...academic ratings are very pretentious and have a lot to do with how much history a school has and the alumni base being able to hire graduates from their alma mater.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

You're all crazy; bacon of the month is the way to go

Is that a real thing?  How can I sign up?  Can you just send me some bacon every month?

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

It's a real thing... Just signed up for one myself