What would convince you to increase donations to athletics?

SilverBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

We are Green Jacket level and looked into jumping up this year.  When looking at the "perks" in the chart the only real difference to us would be to improve our seats at football games.  Since we are happy with our current seats we are looking into other options.  The options we see are:

1. Donating to the athletic facilities (already did the row of seats at the baseball stadium), or

2. Joining either or both of the coaches clubs for football and basketball.

For those of you who want more interaction with the coaches, there are ways to do that.  There is the 3 point club for basketball and I don't remember the name of the football club.  The basketball club is $500 and football was $1,200.  Not sure if the football club will continue since that was Holtz' idea.

Looked through our finances for 2012 and we put out between $6k and $7k between donations, tickets, etc for USF sports.  I'd like to think we will continue at the level and maybe bump it up a bit.  But we are retired and on fixed income so I don't see it going to $10k any time soon.  I know the Bulls Club tries to reach out to us on occasion and we feel connected and appreciated.  Maybe it is because they see our faces at games and events.  Both Doug W and Bill McGillis know us by face (may even know our names) and always make us feel a part of the USF family, which is a big part of what makes us want to continue our giving. 

Win/Loss record and scheduling doesn't enter into our thinking.  We do what we do because we want to help and don't see withholding donations as constructive or trying to "show them" what will happen if they don't schedule better, win more games, etc.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Winning the lottery.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Win/Loss record and scheduling doesn't enter into our thinking.  We do what we do because we want to help and don't see withholding donations as constructive or trying to "show them" what will happen if they don't schedule better, win more games, etc.

This is the kind of thinking that needs to permeate the majority of donors if an Athletic program is grow, no matter what the level.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  199
  • Days Won:  0

If they fired Skip Holtz. Just kidding.. But in all seriousness an OCS fund. I would definitely spring for the donor brick with my name on it.

• Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

brybull,

Understand the financial level, but continue at a lower level?

Hate to lose you on Saturday nights.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Assurances that the additional funds would not be wasted by the gross incompetence of an Athletic Director to pay a contractual buyout guaranteed less than a year before the actual firing! 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

This is the kind of thinking that needs to permeate the majority of donors if an Athletic program is grow, no matter what the level.

Exactly. 

• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

brybull,

Understand the financial level, but continue at a lower level?

Hate to lose you on Saturday nights.

That's a good point and one to discuss with the family. I am currently carrying 5 season tickets in 237. While its partialy a financial decision, I am still looking for any reason to get pumped back up about USF football, either through CWT, conference realignment, or some serious OOC scheduling.

We are in the same section.  If you keep them, we'll need to meet up next year.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Yeah, but there's a difference between 'not gonna donate, not gonna renew, I'll show 'em who's boss!'* and INCREASING a donation. 

I think the difficult task is to get the increase. There has to be some sort of motivator - either in the sense of perks or something. 

*A lot of the keyboard-bluster about not renewing...not gonna happen as we get closer to decision time. We're sports fans and on the internet, we're all 6'6", 230 pounds.

• Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Yeah, but there's a difference between 'not gonna donate, not gonna renew, I'll show 'em who's boss!'* and INCREASING a donation. 

I think the difficult task is to get the increase. There has to be some sort of motivator - either in the sense of perks or something. 

*A lot of the keyboard-bluster about not renewing...not gonna happen as we get closer to decision time. We're sports fans and on the internet, we're all 6'6", 230 pounds.

To be honest, I did it because I felt the program needed the help. That was my motivation. Really.

I've been donating and sitting in the cheap seats (300 level) or getting my seats through another donor for years. I know I carry on about getting better seats and am thinking about moving down, but I post that more to poke the "not renewing" crowd with a stick, more than anything else. I really like where we sit now. 

I will add, this is the first year I've bought season tickets for all of the big 3 sports.