What would convince you to increase donations to athletics?

SilverBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,472
  • Days Won:  14

A culture change. 

-A standing-only section at RayJay

-Improve the schedule. (ODU WTF)

-The LRS Center, RayJay gameday and the Dome gameday all have too much of a corporate-type atmosphere.

I can't quite put my finger on it. Just need a little more fun, collegiate, less-stuffy feel to USF athletics. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  577
  • Content Count:  8,177
  • Days Won:  6

a cancellation of the ODU series

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

Already doubled mine and am moving up to better seats. They don't need to do anything else, for me. :D

Edited by swamprat

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

Having money to donate

I just want to help USF Football

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

SilverBull, great idea to start asking this question.   My question is shouldn't USF Bulls Club leadership be asking this.   I think that they should go hire a USF MBA class to do a marketing research project specifically designed to answer this question and maybe others.  It is a win/win for both parties.  Free work for USF Athletics and the students get a real business case problem to work on.  

My opinion is that USF Athletics is to busy chasing the whale donor then worrying about supporting the small donors such as me.  They should look at the small donors who support multiple programs Football, Basketball, and soccer in one calendar year.  Have more on campus events such as tours of the Athletic facility or special events at the Sundome including access to the club rooms for one game only.  

It is the small things that go a long way but you need to know what they are and you need to communicate with your customers.

Spot on for my situation. Large donors are very important and I'm sure that no one here would argue differently, but it seems that very few of them attend many athletic events. There's a reason that people down in the 1800's on the donor list got tickets to the uf game.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,580
  • Days Won:  2

Having money to donate! paying for our sons tuition is zapping us.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I have been a Green Jacket donor for 5 years, and don't see myself renewing for the upcoming season for the following reasons:

1. There are other places I'd prefer/need to spend $2500

2. Less attractive home schedule for the foreseable future, so the investment isn't as a attractive

3. For games I would attend, I'll pick up single game tickets at regular-to-below cost

I used to feel that football program was something special that I was proud of, and now the shine has come off of it to a degree and am just looking to find other ways to keep the family entertained. USF football has left a bad taste in my family's mouth that one coaching change isn't going to wash away overnight. Once I feel like CWT has gotten some of that magic back and more importantly we are not in conference that is the equivelent to the Wal-Mart bargain bin, then I would be happy to maintain, if not increase, my contribution.

Thank you for your honesty.

My first response was, "Good riddance, bandwagon sucker" but then I thought about it, and by voicing your displeasure, you are advocating for change in something you love. Kind of like the anti-Vietnam protestors vs. the "My country, right or wrong" crowd.

I hope you don't cancel, but there's a very simple solution all 'round.

Just win, baby!

Go bulls!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

I want to thank all those who took time to respond.   Much of this was very helpful and will be communicated.  Keep it coming.  I'm not in any position to make any promises other than that the Bulls Club will effort to build better bonds with its alumni and supporters. 

One idea I would like to dispel is that our major donors just give their money and then walk away and don't personally support athletics.   Most of the big donors I know are truly invested in the University.  Many of them donate to more than athletics.  They attend not only many sports events but lots of other University events as well.  On top of that, they also tend to volunteer time for the University and do a lot to promote the welfare and reputation of the University.  I have found over the past 40 years that athletics often serves as the gateway for folks to become more connected to their alma mater and then they tend to become more and more engaged.  I know that for most of us these days it is hard to spare more money, much less time, to help support USF; however, I found that as I made more efforts to reach out and help, the more that the University staff and other supporters reached out to me to make me feel an important part of the Bulls family.  I started out long ago as just a fan, then a student, then an alumnus, then a donor and multiple-sport season ticket holder.  Now I have become much more actively involved and my connection feels so much stronger.  As in any family, there will always be things that frustrate me and just downright tick me off but I feel better at least trying to do my small part to improve things.  It helps me keep a dream of greater days ahead.     

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,565
  • Days Won:  10

I want to thank all those who took time to respond.   Much of this was very helpful and will be communicated.  Keep it coming.  I'm not in any position to make any promises other than that the Bulls Club will effort to build better bonds with its alumni and supporters. 

One idea I would like to dispel is that our major donors just give their money and then walk away and don't personally support athletics.   Most of the big donors I know are truly invested in the University.  Many of them donate to more than athletics.  They attend not only many sports events but lots of other University events as well.  On top of that, they also tend to volunteer time for the University and do a lot to promote the welfare and reputation of the University.  I have found over the past 40 years that athletics often serves as the gateway for folks to become more connected to their alma mater and then they tend to become more and more engaged.  I know that for most of us these days it is hard to spare more money, much less time, to help support USF; however, I found that as I made more efforts to reach out and help, the more that the University staff and other supporters reached out to me to make me feel an important part of the Bulls family.  I started out long ago as just a fan, then a student, then an alumnus, then a donor and multiple-sport season ticket holder.  Now I have become much more actively involved and my connection feels so much stronger.  As in any family, there will always be things that frustrate me and just downright tick me off but I feel better at least trying to do my small part to improve things.  It helps me keep a dream of greater days ahead.     

SilverBull, well said.   I will continue my support but I think a shake up in the Athletic department might be a good thing.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Interesting question.  When I became a green jacket donor .... 

In the last few years, things have changed:

The seat premium is meaningless.  My friends who don't even have season tickets can get better seats for less EVERY GAME.

Priority points are meaningless.  We don't go to bowls, and there is never a problem getting tickets to away games (may change with UCF).

There doesn't seem to be any kind of "perks" for being a donor.  (except for getting thank you letters asking for more money).

...I will re-evaluate each year and if I get a substantial increase in income.

Go Bulls.

Awrite,

I donate at the minimum (I think) level possible and am OG'd in to my great seats at RayJ. And here's the truly bizarre thing, just sayin':

Even AT THAT LEVEL I think we have a fair relationship. I have never been denied tickets to away / bowl games. I've looked at my

position on the totem pole and am alarmingly high up the food chain in relation to donor status (compared to where I thought would be).

Just being brutally honest, it's a business transaction. I don't see where Dave is really reaping anymore than I do by donating 10-times

what I offer, and I don't know that the university is in a position to offer anything that would warrant a substantial increase in giving. I think the "It's

about giving back, not about buying perks" has a limited amount of mileage. The way college football is shaking out, it's a year-to-year 

decision, going forward, on even maintaining this level of a relationship. I"m married to the Mrs., not the school. 

• Upvote 2