What would convince you to increase donations to athletics?

SilverBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

To each there own EduBull. I could say the same about athletic donations when it comes to comparing us with other universities as well. My point, which remains vaild, is that our academic donations vastly dwarf our athletic ones.

I believe that if you put a winning teams on the field, it will put more butts (of a higher caliber student) in that classroom due to a larger amount of students applying, which leads to more alumni (again, of a better caliber), which leads to more recognition for your degree. Do you think it's any coincidence that our student enrollment process has become more competitive at the same time that our major sports were on the rise?

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

To each there own EduBull. I could say the same about athletic donations when it comes to comparing us with other universities as well. My point, which remains vaild, is that our academic donations vastly dwarf our athletic ones.

I believe that if you put a winning teams on the field, it will put more butts (of a higher caliber student) in that classroom due to a larger amount of students applying, which leads to more alumni (again, of a better caliber), which leads to more recognition for your degree. Do you think it's any coincidence that our student enrollment process has become more competitive at the same time that our major sports were on the rise?

+1

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but until we hit #2, nobody I'd met had ever heard of USF (I've been outside of Florida since graduation). Now, nearly everyone has. And in a good way.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

If I made more I'd do more

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Okay, so let's take a look at the enrollment bounce for "comparable" teams, (read: teams we now, or will play) since you MUST be able to acknowledge that we are no longer playing with the 'big boys', or are we still running with that premise?

For the record, right now, according to About.com (I don't have a lot of time to crunch the numbers, sorry.) USF's admittance rate is 38%

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/usf-tampa.htm

Now, lets look at Conference USA Champs since 1996:

- Southern Miss: 5 (including an additional divisional championship)

- Houston: 2

- East Carolina: 2

- Tulsa: 2

- UCF: 2

I'm excluding Tulane, Louisville and Cincy, but you get the point, right?

The team with the winningest record in recent C-USA history has a 63% admittance rate.

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/university-of-southern-mississippi.htm

The team that has won a 1/3 of the championships in the last 6 years, East Carolina (our future conference mates, BTW) has an acceptance rate of 70%

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/east-carolina.htm

Feel free to use whatever numbers you want, I WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG.

Those kind of acceptance rates aren't reflective of a mass of increased applications to the university, are they?

I mean, I would think if they are accepting 70% of who applies, there's not a lot of basis for selection of 'better' students, is there? What were their numbers before doing well in football?

But, you're not saying you actually want to emulate schools like Southern Miss and ECU, are you? 

You do realize the "Flutie Effect" only applies to universities that play on national television in highly publicized games, right? You're assuming a high grading high school student will want to attend USF and be a Bull because of the buzz generated by games he/she saw on a replay in the middle of the night, ESPN3 or NBCSports when all his friends are watching the games on ESPN and CBS, right? 

What else you got, man? 

Look at the combined USF new student stats before and after we got football. Compare GPA, SAT, etc. I remember Judy saying a while back that ALL of these went up after we got football, and that it was directly correlated. She insinuated that football increased our academic rating.

Sorry no link

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Okay, so let's take a look at the enrollment bounce for "comparable" teams, (read: teams we now, or will play) since you MUST be able to acknowledge that we are no longer playing with the 'big boys', or are we still running with that premise?

For the record, right now, according to About.com (I don't have a lot of time to crunch the numbers, sorry.) USF's admittance rate is 38%

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/usf-tampa.htm

Now, lets look at Conference USA Champs since 1996:

- Southern Miss: 5 (including an additional divisional championship)

- Houston: 2

- East Carolina: 2

- Tulsa: 2

- UCF: 2

I'm excluding Tulane, Louisville and Cincy, but you get the point, right?

The team with the winningest record in recent C-USA history has a 63% admittance rate.

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/university-of-southern-mississippi.htm

The team that has won a 1/3 of the championships in the last 6 years, East Carolina (our future conference mates, BTW) has an acceptance rate of 70%

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/east-carolina.htm

Feel free to use whatever numbers you want, I WANT TO BE PROVEN WRONG.

Those kind of acceptance rates aren't reflective of a mass of increased applications to the university, are they?

I mean, I would think if they are accepting 70% of who applies, there's not a lot of basis for selection of 'better' students, is there? What were their numbers before doing well in football?

But, you're not saying you actually want to emulate schools like Southern Miss and ECU, are you? 

You do realize the "Flutie Effect" only applies to universities that play on national television in highly publicized games, right? You're assuming a high grading high school student will want to attend USF and be a Bull because of the buzz generated by games he/she saw on a replay in the middle of the night, ESPN3 or NBCSports when all his friends are watching the games on ESPN and CBS, right? 

What else you got, man? 

You're entire theory is flawed because you use C-USA type teams who are STILL IN the C-USA type conference. 

How about when Cincy/USF/TheVille went from C-USA to BE? Admissions jumped in ALL schools, and even MORE SO WHEN THEY WIN because of the national stage they are on. How many C-USA games did you see on TV this year during prime college football time? I didn't see ANY. Regardless of where we end up, we will be on TV for EVERYONE TO SEE. I'm also pretty sure the Big East is fairly unchanged going into next year.

I am tired of arguing with you about your same idea on every thread I post in. We get it, you think this is the end for USF Athletics and think we should all accept your way of thinking. 

Here's some news, I don't care what you think. 

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Hem, what you are missing is we will no longer be on a national stage. You are referring to the time the BE was a BCS conference. Those days are over. 

The NBE is the new C-USA. YOU NEED TO REALIZE THIS. The $2 million a year NBC is offering us is chicken-**** compared to where we were before and what the other 'power conferences' are making. We've been knocked down.

Furthermore, I could say you post in every thread I post in too, you know?

I'm not saying everyone should agree with me, but I will post what I think is relevant and remain consistent with my beliefs. There are those who hammer diverging opinions to mine. I am simply stating what I (and apparently a few others) believe. I am more of a USF supporter and fan than you think I am.

Finally, I don't think it is the end of USF Athletics. If you've been reading my posts, you'll see that I've suggested HELPING non-revenue sports and finding a niche we are competitive in. I simply think we need to stop chasing the carrot.

No hard feelings. If you are anywhere near campus late next week - honestly, I'd love to meet you for a drink (or three). My treat and my pleasure. Please, let me know. Dunderbaks? World of Beer?

I'd like to meet you and discuss anything other than USF Athletics if that is what you'd prefer.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

When will the USF Admin, fans and coaches stop accepting dismal performances on the feild and courts? I get we are relatively young as a program (right at 50 years) but really when do we change the culture?

How long do we as fans accept mediocre to horrible play in most sports(most popular)?

Is the problem bigger than the players and coaching? Is it the AD?

When will people increase thier donations?  Not with the product on the field/court and def not with the teams in our new conference.  Who is the Big or Wow team on the upcoming schedules?  If you are set on Conf USA 2.0 than you better be beating the snot out of everyone or expect to see attendance Drop like flies.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

When will the USF Admin, fans and coaches stop accepting dismal performances on the feild and courts? I get we are relatively young as a program (right at 50 years) but really when do we change the culture?

How long do we as fans accept mediocre to horrible play in most sports(most popular)?

When will people increase thier donations?  Not with the product on the field/court and def not with the teams in our new conference.  Who is the Big or Wow team on the upcoming schedules?  If you are set on Conf USA 2.0 than you better be beating the snot out of everyone or expect to see attendance Drop like flies.

Here we go again.  So what do we do to show our displeasure?  Stop giving?  round and round we go.

Here we go again.  So what do we do to show our displeasure?  Stop giving?  round and round we go.

LOL.

Consensus seems to be increase your donation but reduce your expectations.