USF v FGCU

CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Really never cared too much about learning the fight song - and honestly, I still don't. Leavitt never considered it important - something we both agreed upon. Who needs a fight song anyways? Just win and leave the kumbya mumbo jumbo to the band.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Really never cared too much about learning the fight song - and honestly, I still don't. Leavitt never considered it important - something we both agreed upon. Who needs a fight song anyways? Just win and leave the kumbya mumbo jumbo to the band.

Hey man...you ain't s'posed to say stuff like that. Every choreographed instance of every athletic event from the flyover to singing the alma mater is sacred, man...sacred! It's a slippery slope...not singing the fight song before a ball game, chanting [this] instead of [that] at the wrong time. It's all a part of the pageantry man, the grand spectacle which is a few hours of entertainment.  :FIREdevil:

Good point WoolyBully... I take back my comments and will give Skip his due. Great tradition! Keep it up!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

With respect, I happen to know you're not right on this one.  The Jim came to band rehearsals and brought the team at the beginning of camp to learn the words to the fight song and alma mater so they could sing along.  He was EXTREMELY supportive of the band and the tradition it could bring.  Lots of programs that win a whole bunch do the same thing--it's a part of the college football environment and a lot of coaches, ADs, and Presidents think it's very important.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

With respect, I happen to know you're not right on this one.  The Jim came to band rehearsals and brought the team at the beginning of camp to learn the words to the fight song and alma mater so they could sing along.  He was EXTREMELY supportive of the band and the tradition it could bring.  Lots of programs that win a whole bunch do the same thing--it's a part of the college football environment and a lot of coaches, ADs, and Presidents think it's very important.

:popcorn:

This is going to be good. NC, how do you know this?

BTW, Sherriff played for Jim...

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

:popcorn:

This is going to be good. NC, how do you know this?

BTW, Sherriff played for Jim...

cm-44950-050f661881e7de.gif

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

Just going off personal experience.  Jim asked us if he could bring the team to band rehearsal in 2005 to learn the fight song and alma mater.  They all showed up (at least a lot of the players) and we did a sort of informal teaching of the songs and played it for them.  He said they'd learned the words beforehand.  I admit it was really informal and maybe it was just lip service...but Jim was VERY vocal about his support of the band throughout my time employed by the university and unless he was just pulling my leg...I take him at face value.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Good enough. Since I've met you both in the real world, I believe you both!

Howzat?! :D

I shouldn't have **** on the band like that (not sure what the f*ck was going on in my head when I posted the last part of the comment). I actually have always enjoyed the work of our band. Jim was kinda football crazy first and would comment how everything else was just a side show to the product on the field (you should hear his thoughts on homecoming back in the day). He could have softened his stance with age... who knows... Sorry for the disparaging comments to the band members. I realize you folks put a ton of hours in just like we did. The next beer is on me if I ever get back to Tampa. The current significant other has control of my wallet in attempt to financially smarten me up. No more Vegas trips chasing women, etc... 

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Isn't it on the walls in the sun dome?