It's Official: Chuck Bresnahan, Oakland Raiders DC in 2011, named USF's DC

NAM37

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,376
  • Days Won:  2

Sounds like a decent hire, like said Raiders and Bengals are hard teams to win at.

He has plenty of NFL experience trust me the new crappy big east will be alot easier than going up against the Colts and Patriots. 

I like the hire. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

I've always been a huge NFL fan so I follow about everything in that league and have done so since the early 90s so the time period which is the bulk of his experience I'm pretty familiar with. 

This is a pretty solid hire.  Remember, Taggart and his connections are going to "get us in the door" which is the biggest part of recruiting and then it's all "selling" from there on out.  It's alot about story telling.  These are 17/18 kids who all are star struck by ANYTHING NFL.  He can sit at the table and tell a kid, "You remind me of a kid we had on GT when I helped take them to the national championship."  "You remind me of a young (insert name here) I coached while at (NFL team here) who made the Pro Bowl or went with me to the SUPER BOWL". 

The guy has some bling from the teams he was associated with that those kids will see and that will be impressive.  Combine that with Taggart's ties and this is a pretty solid hire. 

Plus, he did pretty dang good considering he was with NFL teams that had some of the WORST front offices in the league.  The Raiders and the Bengals have blown trades/drafts for the past 20 years.  For them to win ANYTHING was a miracle during that time period considering the lack of talent they had compared to others at that time.  Seriously, if you followed the front office moves of the Raiders and Bengals, you'd see bad trade after bad trade, blown draft picks and bad character guys who were getting busted left and right.  With the Raiders, they spent effort after effort on the OFFENSE and even spent high picks on their K (Janikowski) over defensive players which would've had bigger impacts.  Al Davis was at the height of his stupidity during this time and if not for Gruden installing that offense with Gannon they'd have sucked worse!  Then it was only bc TB had Gruden and Oak hadn't changed ANY OF THEIR AUDIBLES was TB allowed to fully exploit that offense for interception after interception.  As Derrick Brooks said, when they audibled, we knew EXACTLY where the ball was going bc Gruden ran the offense against them in practice for two weeks prior to the game using the EXACT plays/signals.  As for Cincy, come on, that front office has been one of the worst in the NFL for DECADES and no one wants to play there as Cincy is a DUMP!

Considering what he was working with, he did pretty well.  However, once you get the "stink" on you in the NFL (and OAK/Cincy would stain you with a bunch of it), it's hard to shake which explains the path he's gone.

I'm not saying he's Nick Saban or Bill B from the Pats, but he has NFL experience, LOTS of it and with that come stories and the OCs he's most likely going to be facing will be amateur hour compared to the schemes he saw in the NFL.

This is one of those hires I think when it's said and done will be a solid value hire.  Plus, if he came recommended by a Harbaugh, I trust it more than any poster bc those guys "get it right" when it comes to personnel and they've done it with FUNDAMENTALS, not big names.

It may not work out, but I'm optimistic about this hire.

Let me follow this logic.  Two teams with horrible front offices chose this guy and we're supposed to be happy we chose him?

• Topic Count:  216
  • Content Count:  1,779
  • Days Won:  0

Would you all hire a guy that had the chance to work with Marvin Lewis, Nick Saban and Bill Belichick? I know I would.

What about someone who coached defenses that were ranked in the top 10 in the NFL:

• 2000 Raiders Def. 9th
  • 2001 Raiders Def. 19th
  • 2002 Raiders Def. 6th
  • 2003 Raiders Def. 25th

You do not become a defensive coordinator multiple times in the NFL for not knowing what you are doing. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,376
  • Days Won:  2

Would you all hire a guy that had the chance to work with Marvin Lewis, Nick Saban and Bill Belichick? I know I would.

What about someone who coached defenses that were ranked in the top 10 in the NFL:

• 2000 Raiders Def. 9th
  • 2001 Raiders Def. 19th
  • 2002 Raiders Def. 6th
  • 2003 Raiders Def. 25th

You do not become a defensive coordinator multiple times in the NFL for not knowing what you are doing. 

This, plus I thought Oakland dumped alot of players after the 02 season so a big reason why they sucked that year. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

You people are unreal. This is USF, not Alabama. We are now in a shiz conference with a shiz record and 2 consecutive years of missed bowls. We have an NFL DC coming to be our DC who has a ton of experience and a decent track record. Expectations here are so unrealistic.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

You people are unreal. This is USF, not Alabama. We are now in a shiz conference with a shiz record and 2 consecutive years of missed bowls. We have an NFL DC coming to be our DC who has a ton of experience and a decent track record. Expectations here are so unrealistic.

I keep thinking the same thing.  The most heralded D Coordinator we have ever had was Mark Snyder and we only had him for one year.  He was a head coach at Marshall and was fired.  He was the D Coordinator at Ohio State when the refs gave them a national title vs Miami with a phantom pass interference call.Wally Burnham had a lot of experience too.  But, last year our D Coordinator was Chris freaking Cosh.  Now we go hire a guy who has been an NFL coach for 2 decades.  Been promoted to D Coordinator 3 different times with 2 organizations. Was the D Coordinator of a team that made the Super Bowl...and we are complaining?

Is he **** Lebeau or Monte Kiffin?  No.  But honestly, I was surprised at how poorly Kiffin did out at Southern Cal.  You just never know.  But, this guy's resume is by far the best of any coach we have ever had in this program.  His resume is miles more impressive than Willie Taggart's even.

I just don't get the negativity.

• Topic Count:  216
  • Content Count:  1,779

"Our motto is to be physical relentless and intelligent", Chuck Bresnahan

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

"Our motto is to be physical relentless and intelligent", Chuck Bresnahan
-----

I like it, now he just needs to make it happen. Now we need what, 4 more coaches?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

"Our motto is to be physical relentless and intelligent", Chuck Bresnahan

-----

I like it, now he just needs to make it happen. Now we need what, 4 more coaches?

Yup! 4 more, I'm thinking the rest of these will come pretty fast now, hope we are set by this weekend. Biggest hires are out of the way at least.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

Cousin Ricky, give me a break.  There's a hell of a difference between hiring coaches and assembling an NFL roster which is why the best teams have STRONG GMs and COACHES.  Rarely do you see a successful team in the NFL where an owner does everything like you saw in Oakland and what you're seeing right now in Dallas.  Oakland is one of the most dysfunctional sports teams in modern history and was being run by a man that was literally in the final years of having his lucidity.  This is a guy who made the coaches SIT MARCUS ALLEN while still in his prime!  To accomplish what he did there was a harder/better job under the circumstances than what many others have done.  Using your logic, you must think the OC in Denver could convert water to wine vs. they brought in one of the best QBs ever to play in the league. 

Sorry, but your comment seems to imply you have a very rudimentary understanding of the situation he was in.  You don't stay in the NFL that many years unless you know Xs and Os.  Beyond that it's then up to your GM to give you the pieces to execute.