Weiner Stays at Plant

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

please. talk about overly dramatic.

I suppose instead of correcting his mistake he should have just kept his mouth shut and taken the job. been miserable doing it so that you wouldn't think he was unprofessional.

-------

No, he should have taken the issues under consideration before he took the job.  This is something a 17 year old waiting tables at a restaurant does, not a "beloved" and "classy" professional.

he made a mistake. we all make them. even beloved and classy professionals. he corrected it.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

he made a mistake. we all make them. even beloved and classy professionals. he corrected it.

-----

Agree to disagree then.  In my field if you did something like this publicly, you'd have a hell of a time getting any job offers in the future.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  176
  • Days Won:  0

No need to be overly dramatic.  The guy had to choose between a secure job where he could spend the next 20 years and a coaching profession with extremely long hours, lots of travel, and the very real possibility of having to hop from job to job all over the country for the next twenty years.

It isn't about being a risk taker.  It's about realizing that money isn't the most important thing in life, and that you already have the life you want.  Kudos to Weiner.  The upside is that if this was handled well USF gained a strong proponent in the high school coaching ranks.

For all those of you whining, this might put Blackwell back in play.  

=================

Kudos to Weiner?  Are you serious?  This has nothing to do with wanting to stay in a secure job... no one would fault him for that.  The issue is that you accepted a job, let the school publicly announce it (and no doubt use it as a recruiting pitch), and then backed out.  End result is much public embarrassment to the people that offered you the job in the first place.  Terribly, terribly unprofessional.

I suppose instead of correcting his mistake he should have just kept his mouth shut and taken the job. been miserable doing it so that you wouldn't think he was unprofessional.

No, you be a big boy and don't even accept the job. Now he just made us look like a joke, thanks Coach.

We all have reservations when moving to a new chapter in our lives. We think it over (very hard), make a decision, and then stick to that decision. How does he know he wouldn't LOVE working at USF? He doesn't. And now he never will.

-----

Agree to disagree then.  In my field if you did something like this publicly, you'd have a hell of a time getting any job offers in the future.

didn't hurt Billy donovan. Won't hurt Robert Weiner.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

I just wonder how long it will be before we hear about Weiner getting a 'dream job' at a Big 3 school. 

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but maybe some boosters from other schools saw what we were trying to accomplish with the hiring of Weiner and put the kibosh on it by telling him to stay put and wait for an opportunity coming soon.

Maybe the other schools didn't want to risk ANY high-caliber player coming to USF, thus giving us any sort of momentum or notoriety.

I feel like the cards are so stacked against us sometimes.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

-------

No, he should have taken the issues under consideration before he took the job.  This is something a 17 year old waiting tables at a restaurant does, not a "beloved" and "classy" professional.

-------

I think we get it ... even though USF has a bit of egg on its face this morning, you don't think Weiner should face any criticism for his decision.

I'm all about someone having the right to change their mind, especially when it comes to accepting jobs, but Donovan took a bit of heat when he accepted the Orlando Magic job and reneged, so should Weiner. If he has a right to change his mind, some have a right to correctly call his reversal unprofessional. He probably should have taken more time to think about whether or not he wanted to accept, and no one would have begrudged him for staying put in a great job where he is already extremely influential.

• Upvote 1

No need to be overly dramatic.  The guy had to choose between a secure job where he could spend the next 20 years and a coaching profession with extremely long hours, lots of travel, and the very real possibility of having to hop from job to job all over the country for the next twenty years.

It isn't about being a risk taker.  It's about realizing that money isn't the most important thing in life, and that you already have the life you want.  Kudos to Weiner.  The upside is that if this was handled well USF gained a strong proponent in the high school coaching ranks.

For all those of you whining, this might put Blackwell back in play.  

=================

Kudos to Weiner?  Are you serious?  This has nothing to do with wanting to stay in a secure job... no one would fault him for that.  The issue is that you accepted a job, let the school publicly announce it (and no doubt use it as a recruiting pitch), and then backed out.  End result is much public embarrassment to the people that offered you the job in the first place.  Terribly, terribly unprofessional.

No, you be a big boy and don't even accept the job. Now he just made us look like a joke, thanks Coach.

We all have reservations when moving to a new chapter in our lives. We think it over (very hard), make a decision, and then stick to that decision. How does he know he wouldn't LOVE working at USF? He doesn't. And now he never will.

I'm sure he would love working at USF.

like another poster said, maybe he doesn't want to get on the college coaching carousel at this stage in his life. what happens if they're all fired in 3 years? he has to uproot his family and take any job he can find in some go d foresaken part of the country.

he made a mistake. he corrected it.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Mviusa, you joke about that...but you'd be surprised at how powerful and connected that South Tampa community is. It wouldn't shock me at all to hear that they played a role in bringing him back. That area has no love for USF.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wasn't joking!!!

-------

-------

I think we get it ... even though USF has a bit of egg on its face this morning, you don't think Weiner should face any criticism for his decision.

I'm all about someone having the right to change their mind, especially when it comes to accepting jobs, but Donovan took a bit of heat when he accepted the Orlando Magic job and reneged, so should Weiner. If he has a right to change his mind, some have a right to correctly call his reversal unprofessional. He probably should have taken more time to think about whether or not he wanted to accept, and no one would have begrudged him for staying put in a great job where he is already extremely influential.

go ahead give him heat. that's your perogative.

making a mistake isn't unprofessional. correcting that mistake isn't either. he had second thoughts obviously and felt it wasn't right for him. it's also my perogative to not give him heat and to understand that sometimes people do make decisions without thinking them through. i actually applaud the guy for doing what was right and correcting it now rather than dragging it out or leaving after a year.

Mviusa, you joke about that...but you'd be surprised at how powerful and connected that South Tampa community is. It wouldn't shock me at all to hear that they played a role in bringing him back. That area has no love for USF.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wasn't joking!!!

sorry but south tampa people that are influential don't send their kids to plant.