Weiner Stays at Plant

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Mviusa, you joke about that...but you'd be surprised at how powerful and connected that South Tampa community is. It wouldn't shock me at all to hear that they played a role in bringing him back. That area has no love for USF.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wasn't joking!!!

sorry but south tampa people that are influential don't send their kids to plant.

WRONG. I lived across the street from that HS while I was living in Palma Ceia, there's a reason they have a 7 million dollar football stadium (donated by 2 donors at 3.5million a piece). Granted, some send their kids to Berkley Prep and some also went to Tampa Catholic or Academy of Holy Names but a majority of the heavy hitters in the ST area send their kids to Plant. Why? Becuase it's where they went, as did their parents, as did theirs, etc.

sorry you're wrong. I live in golf view. most of the kids go to private schools. aren't you the one that said auburn grads dominate the area?

I didn't know the history but a simple google search says that the grandstands were moved from a racetrack in north tampa. artificial turf was donated by boosters. not sure where your $7M stadium comes from.

"The grandstands were -- from what I've been told by some of the old-timers -- started out as a race track grandstand out in North Tampa somewhere," Bell said.

"I guess they dismantled it, moved it down here, put it back together and there you have Dad's Stadium."

It's likely that massive grandstand move got help from the school's football booster club.

"Back in the early days, the booster club was called the Dads Club, and they had a lot of active dads that were very involved," Bell said.

http://www.wtsp.com/callitthat/article/260170/260/Why-do-they-call-it-that-Stadium-joins-football-and-fathers-

Edited by Bull94

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

I'm married to a teacher.

I know a lot of teachers.

And I know a lot of high school coaches.

If you have career designs on being a head coach at the collegiate level, you won't be still coaching high school at his age. This guy is never going to bare his

immortal soul and confess the driving forces that made him jerk the wheel at the last minute. He is, to a degree, a 'legend' in South Tampa. Just a few blocks over

on Fowler Avenue, he'd be "yeah, that guy".  He has a comfort zone, being The Man at Plant HS. That would be gone at USF and he would be starting over at

ground zero, as college football is a what-have-you-done-lately environment.

I agree wholeheartedly that the accept-then-decline is not that far away from the decision making process my eighteen year old niece uses. I've seen a few teachers

in my time who take on some alarmingly high-schoolish behavior. Unfortunately, as it was USF, this cuts close to the bone. It's a shame that he DIDN'T DO HIS 

HOMEWORK before accepting the position. While I may understand his decision, henceforth, it would color my perception of his ABILITY to make decisions. 

Thankfully, when August rolls around, this escapade will barely be visible in the rear view mirror.  And as always...

Go [any other team in Hillsborough County except Plant], beat Plant!

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Days Won:  14

I came here to join the meltdown.

Hi guys! How we doin'?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Mviusa, you joke about that...but you'd be surprised at how powerful and connected that South Tampa community is. It wouldn't shock me at all to hear that they played a role in bringing him back. That area has no love for USF.

I wasn't joking!!!

sorry but south tampa people that are influential don't send their kids to plant.
WRONG. I lived across the street from that HS while I was living in Palma Ceia, there's a reason they have a 7 million dollar football stadium (donated by 2 donors at 3.5million a piece). Granted, some send their kids to Berkley Prep and some also went to Tampa Catholic or Academy of Holy Names but a majority of the heavy hitters in the ST area send their kids to Plant. Why? Becuase it's where they went, as did their parents, as did theirs, etc.

sorry you're wrong. I live in golf view. most of the kids go to private schools. aren't you the one that said auburn grads dominate the area?

I didn't know the history but a simple google search says that the grandstands were moved from a racetrack in north tampa. artificial turf was donated by boosters. not sure where your $7M stadium comes from.

"The grandstands were -- from what I've been told by some of the old-timers -- started out as a race track grandstand out in North Tampa somewhere," Bell said.

"I guess they dismantled it, moved it down here, put it back together and there you have Dad's Stadium."

It's likely that massive grandstand move got help from the school's football booster club.

"Back in the early days, the booster club was called the Dads Club, and they had a lot of active dads that were very involved," Bell said.

http://www.wtsp.com/callitthat/article/260170/260/Why-do-they-call-it-that-Stadium-joins-football-and-fathers-

Who do you think the boosters were? How much do you think that Turf costs? I go by what I heard the teachers say. I heard a 7 million dollar donation, from 2 individual "boosters" helped build that stadium. And if I were to take a quick walk down my old neighborhood; it's mainly lined with Auburn flags outfront of the McMansions. (Along with UF, some FSU, and the ocasional GT or Clemson.) I also volunteered for Youth Group over there (over 200 kids counting middle/HS on Weds n Sun nights). Got a pretty good sizing sample there that I draw my conclusion from that.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  176
  • Days Won:  0

Bottom line, Weiner is a ****.

Move on, we don't need that kind of guy on our staff. 

I wasn't joking!!!

Who do you think the boosters were? How much do you think that Turf costs? I go by what I heard the teachers say. I heard a 7 million dollar donation, from 2 individual "boosters" helped build that stadium. And if I were to take a quick walk down my old neighborhood; it's mainly lined with Auburn flags outfront of the McMansions. (Along with UF, some FSU, and the ocasional GT or Clemson.) I also volunteered for Youth Group over there (over 200 kids counting middle/HS on Weds n Sun nights). Got a pretty good sizing sample there that I draw my conclusion from that.

the turf cost $600k and money was raised from boosters club. I believe their capital campaign raised just over $1M in pledges for athletics that is still being paid. that was recently. the stadium has been there so long that I doubt it cost $7M. I figured it was the small sample size of a couple of flags in your neighborhood that led you to believe auburn grads litter the area. It's great that you worked with a youth group. fact remains most(not all) of the wealthy people in Tampa, let alone south tampa, send their kids to private schools. all those names on buildings at USF and in the area come from families that go to private schools.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Just going by what I saw in my couple years in ST and trying to give you and idea about where I got my HS enrollment sampling sizes from, that's all. Either way it all comes down to Weiner staying at Plant, and USF back on the hunt for a WR's coach.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Please no more HS coaches...I think it is a terrible idea to start with. Get the best that is available and move in.

Just going by what I saw in my couple years in ST and trying to give you and idea about where I got my HS enrollment sampling sizes from, that's all. Either way it all comes down to Weiner staying at Plant, and USF back on the hunt for a WR's coach.

agreed. I was just floored when people said it was due to some influential people at plant. there are FAR more influential donors and boosters at USF than at plant. it's not even close.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  53

A total Weiner move there.

• Upvote 1