Weiner Stays at Plant

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

It's shocking that so many seem to think he's fine doing this. It's highly unprofessional to accept the job of this public nature, announce it, then change your mind.

Bush league move. But I'm sure a big 3 position will open for him soon.

He used and abused this situation for his gain is my guess. Let the big school get nervous about losing a recruit, then they'll open up their wallets for him. Maybe he'll stay at Plant forever, in which case I'm wrong. It's still unprofessional.

If it leaked like Lance for the DC job that he was considering it it's one thing. But publicly accepting then turning back is unprofessional. And if he parlays this into another job he's a sleazebag

I agree 100%. If he had any doubts, he should have waited and thought it through. He accepted, the university put out a press release and he then decided to stay. Very unprofessional.

In life, image is everything, and right now the optics on this for USF is horrible.

Right now, this program is like Pig Pen from Charley Brown with a cloud constantly hanging over its head.

Thanks Skip. You tempoed us right in to irrelevancy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean Joe Btfsplk from Li'l Abner?

joe-btfsplk.jpg

Pigpen from Peanuts

Pig-Pen.gif

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Oh please ... If a 3-9 season pushed us to irrelevancy, we weren't relevant to begin with. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

Maybe - at the age of fifty - high school is as good as he ever wants to be. College - particularly the recruiting - is a whole new ball o' wax - especially compared to bossing around a bunch of high school kids. I think we have to consider that at the age of 50 - HE IS A TENURED TEACHER - looking to retire from the HCPS system with a pension. If he quits before retiring, he doesn't get that. Also, he would have been put in a position where - realistically - he could be out on his arse next year or the year after if things don't pan out. I think he's too risk averse for the position at this point in time. It is also possible, 'cause I've seen it happen, where someone accepts a position - AND THEN WEIGHS THE PLUS/MINUS.  I'm sure it sounded good, and maybe if he were looking at retiring and dovetailing into a college career he would have stayed with the course, or maybe if he were younger and had designs on becoming a head coach (I don't know how many coaches really aspire to being a position coach at the pinnacle of their career).  

You think ole Russ Cozart down in Brandon was ever approached about coaching wrestling at the collegiate level? I don't know that he wasn't, but if you can put together a program like that, someone's gonna notice. Just so happened that Weiner is our back yard. 

...besides, it's hard to go from The Man, to 'a member of the staff'. He has free reign at Plant, and here there would be no shortage of bosses up that chain of command. I can see where the ideal situation would have been for him to weigh the decision before making a statement, but he may have been pressured to get something out there as soon as possible given the need for positive news from the front lines.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,580
  • Days Won:  2

It's shocking that so many seem to think he's fine doing this. It's highly unprofessional to accept the job of this public nature, announce it, then change your mind.

Bush league move. But I'm sure a big 3 position will open for him soon.

He used and abused this situation for his gain is my guess. Let the big school get nervous about losing a recruit, then they'll open up their wallets for him. Maybe he'll stay at Plant forever, in which case I'm wrong. It's still unprofessional.

If it leaked like Lance for the DC job that he was considering it it's one thing. But publicly accepting then turning back is unprofessional. And if he parlays this into another job he's a sleazebag

I agree 100%. If he had any doubts, he should have waited and thought it through. He accepted, the university put out a press release and he then decided to stay. Very unprofessional.

In life, image is everything, and right now the optics on this for USF is horrible.

Right now, this program is like Pig Pen from Charley Brown with a cloud constantly hanging over its head.

Amen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,671
  • Days Won:  3

He owes Taggert now.   We now have him as a someone who will help us because of his decision. 

Sounds good to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlikely.

IMO, he'll now bend over backwards for the other Florida programs to prove he actually doesn't "owe" anything to USF.

He played us like a schoolgirl.

Agree that he owes us nothing - especially if he is staying for his love of coaching high school athletes.  He will try to guide his players toward the school that is best for them - or the school that called him and told him to sit tight for a year and will pay him double.

While I would bet his value just shot up considerably, I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he "played us" to boost his value or for any other reason. 

I agree that it was unprofessional, but just like we make mistakes with spreadsheets, we can make mistakes with professionalism and I'm not going to forever hold it against him.  I don't even know if he has ever been contacted before for a position in the college ranks (I can't see why not).  Yes, he should have asked for more time to consider it, but he's probably learned from this.

And you can bet he will get more calls now.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

His decisioning capability rivals that of a high schooler. Better to learn that now than later.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

I forgot to ask, is this firm?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Is it April 1, 2013 already??????