usf and the rest of big east need to come to grips

smazza

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

So how do they come to grips? Dropping to 1-aa? Take out a full page ad in the usa today acknowledging relegation? Stand up at the next meeting of the playoff committee and say "more porridge sir?"

i think the decision will be made for usf

if usf doesnt get picked up in one of the big 5 conferences usf will not be able to sustain a program

the money will dry up

Did you really go to law school? I have a hard time believing you even passed High School with some of the bonehead comments you make. USF will continue to sustain all sports programs. Our University pulls in a pretty decent amount of cash when compared to other Universities currently at our level. We will be in the Big Whatever until either there is a merger & renaming forming the "Best of the Rest" where we will reside until we can prove we deserve better OR Power 5 teams are poached from one another and they need a spot filled. Either way, it's not the end of the world.

usf is currently in the minor leagues with little hope in sight

this is a sports board

this is suppose to be fun

Tell us what you think USF should do. You clearly realize/appreciate things that we don't (or at least you believe this to be the case).

All you seem to do is remind us of how ****ty our conference position is - needlessly antagonizing us, over and over again.

You're right - this is a sports board and it should be fun. But you sure do make it hard to enjoy it.

There's nothing we can do if we don't get into a big conf. When we start hosting conf games against Tulane, Temple, ECU, Memphis, etc, there will be 25k in RayJay. Most of you seem to want to remain in denial about this? It's fine to be a die hard fan, but be realistic as well, otherwise we just come across as silly. Anyone who thinks it's going to be business as usual is fooling themselves. Just like thinking Taggart is a long term hire vs Patrino who would leave in 2-3 years. The only reason Taggart will stay longer is if it takes him longer to make us good. As soon as we are 9-3 or 10-2 Taggart will get offers and leave just like Patrino!

It is quite possible that if Taggart turns us into a winner he will stay. Crazier things have happened. Why do you think that we are a stepping stone? Yes, other BE schools have lost coaches. We are not like those other schools. None of them are in Florida, noe of them are in the South, and they are all basketball schools. There are a violation ton of differences between us and them. PEtrino is a misogynist, I didn't want a completely untrustworthy male running out football program. He cheated on UL, he cheated on the Falcons, he cheated on his wife. Great role model there. No thanks.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Playing Memphis and Tulane may initially be something people want to write off but consider this:

1. If USF is winning consistently in the new conference, people will show up if we're 7-0 or 8-1, etc. At that point, we could be finishing the year with Savannah State, but if we're 10-1 or 9-2, people will want to show up, because we'll somehow be either exciting enough to put points up and win games, or exciting (maybe even ugly) enough on defense to prevent other teams from scoring. I don't care if we win half our games 10-7 or 50-43, if we have a good record, the bandwagon gets a little more full. And I'm okay with that.

2. Tulane and Memphis are terrible football programs. Right now. But this is a cyclical sport, and it wasn't but ~14 years ago Tulane went 12-0. Memphis was having 8-4 type seasons 6-7 years ago as well. Teams like Cincinnati could very well end up with a bad Tuberville tenure and go 5-7 or 4-8 a few times and end up being punching bags for a few years. Syracuse went through it. Louisville went through it. USF is going through it now. I think people are too quick to assume that we'll be playing winless Tulane and two win Memphis teams every year, when who knows that it could be a 10-1 vs 9-2 matchup of Tulane and Memphis to close the season in 2014...stranger things have happened. (I mean seriously, KENT STATE of all places almost had an Orange Bowl bid this year...)

+1 Nicely put sir.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Playing Memphis and Tulane may initially be something people want to write off but consider this:

1. If USF is winning consistently in the new conference, people will show up if we're 7-0 or 8-1, etc. At that point, we could be finishing the year with Savannah State, but if we're 10-1 or 9-2, people will want to show up, because we'll somehow be either exciting enough to put points up and win games, or exciting (maybe even ugly) enough on defense to prevent other teams from scoring. I don't care if we win half our games 10-7 or 50-43, if we have a good record, the bandwagon gets a little more full. And I'm okay with that.

2. Tulane and Memphis are terrible football programs. Right now. But this is a cyclical sport, and it wasn't but ~14 years ago Tulane went 12-0. Memphis was having 8-4 type seasons 6-7 years ago as well. Teams like Cincinnati could very well end up with a bad Tuberville tenure and go 5-7 or 4-8 a few times and end up being punching bags for a few years. Syracuse went through it. Louisville went through it. USF is going through it now. I think people are too quick to assume that we'll be playing winless Tulane and two win Memphis teams every year, when who knows that it could be a 10-1 vs 9-2 matchup of Tulane and Memphis to close the season in 2014...stranger things have happened. (I mean seriously, KENT STATE of all places almost had an Orange Bowl bid this year...)

+1 Nicely put sir.

That is nicely put, and it makes me remember when an already good FSU first got into the ACC how bad the ACC had been, and FSU dominated that conference, which helped burnish their image as a national power. It was at least 3-4 years after they joined the conference that they lost their first conference game (as a FSU fan growing up, I'll never forget that UVa game in 1995) ... who knows, maybe something similar could happen for us ... we just need to make hay this last year with the BE teams we are used to.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

+1 Nicely put sir.

That is nicely put, and it makes me remember when an already good FSU first got into the ACC how bad the ACC had been, and FSU dominated that conference, which helped burnish their image as a national power. It was at least 3-4 years after they joined the conference that they lost their first conference game (as a FSU fan growing up, I'll never forget that UVa game in 1995) ... who knows, maybe something similar could happen for us ... we just need to make hay this last year with the BE teams we are used to.

PAINFUL!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I try to tell people the 2nd point when they get all flabbergasted by conference realignment. That is why in the end, you can only worry about yourself and the games you have laid before you. It's what Boise/TCU/Utah did over the last decade.

It happens in all sports, and the "what have you done for me lately" can really blur people from seeing that. There will be another time when even Alabama, Florida, and Oregon aren't as good. Nothing lasts forever.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,310
  • Days Won:  8

Good points.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  2

smazza is a 1st class d0uche, wouldn't expect anything less.

hahaha

attacking the messenger

that's the answer

what is worse being in the situation we are in or having fans that dont realize it?

hem- your inability to grasp what is going on is truly astonishing

He is spot on..I have seen your professional record.

You are the punk who has constantly berated the powers that be and some of our fans for being small minded. Now you say they must come to grips? Some of us have always known where our program is and have had realistic expectations. You are the one with the bi-polar opinions about the program.

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

unfortunately your expectations(like most usf fans) have been small and demands little

and this is why usf is in the same place as the orlando school

i couldnt have said it better

small minded indeed mission9

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  2

Once again, you contradict yourself. If we are small minded as you say, what are we coming to grips with? USF is not a name brand and no matter how big time minded anyone may be, we were not going to get the invite some expect.

Just like I am not happy about lawyers ripping off clients, there is really not much I can do to change it. I do not enjoy the fact that USF is not a name brand but I am not going to beat myself up over it. Fortunately, I only watch the games and do not live vicariously through a football team.