usf and the rest of big east need to come to grips

smazza

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

So how do they come to grips? Dropping to 1-aa? Take out a full page ad in the usa today acknowledging relegation? Stand up at the next meeting of the playoff committee and say "more porridge sir?"

i think the decision will be made for usf

if usf doesnt get picked up in one of the big 5 conferences usf will not be able to sustain a program

the money will dry up

Did you really go to law school? I have a hard time believing you even passed High School with some of the bonehead comments you make. USF will continue to sustain all sports programs. Our University pulls in a pretty decent amount of cash when compared to other Universities currently at our level. We will be in the Big Whatever until either there is a merger & renaming forming the "Best of the Rest" where we will reside until we can prove we deserve better OR Power 5 teams are poached from one another and they need a spot filled. Either way, it's not the end of the world.

usf is currently in the minor leagues with little hope in sight

this is a sports board

this is suppose to be fun

Tell us what you think USF should do. You clearly realize/appreciate things that we don't (or at least you believe this to be the case).

All you seem to do is remind us of how ****ty our conference position is - needlessly antagonizing us, over and over again.

You're right - this is a sports board and it should be fun. But you sure do make it hard to enjoy it.

There's nothing we can do if we don't get into a big conf. When we start hosting conf games against Tulane, Temple, ECU, Memphis, etc, there will be 25k in RayJay. Most of you seem to want to remain in denial about this? It's fine to be a die hard fan, but be realistic as well, otherwise we just come across as silly. Anyone who thinks it's going to be business as usual is fooling themselves. Just like thinking Taggart is a long term hire vs Patrino who would leave in 2-3 years. The only reason Taggart will stay longer is if it takes him longer to make us good. As soon as we are 9-3 or 10-2 Taggart will get offers and leave just like Patrino!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

As soon as we are 9-3 or 10-2 Taggart will get offers and leave just like Patrino!

I will be ok with this, as USF will be more attractive to better coaches than they were when Holtz or Taggart got hired. We should never be afraid of our coach leaving after a successful season.

As soon as we are 9-3 or 10-2 Taggart will get offers and leave just like Patrino!

I will be ok with this, as USF will be more attractive to better coaches than they were when Holtz or Taggart got hired. We should never be afraid of our coach leaving after a successful season.

I agree which is why we should've just hired Patrino. He would've likely had us in the Orange Bowl next year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

So how do they come to grips? Dropping to 1-aa? Take out a full page ad in the usa today acknowledging relegation? Stand up at the next meeting of the playoff committee and say "more porridge sir?"

if usf doesnt get picked up in one of the big 5 conferences usf will not be able to sustain a program

the money will dry up

Did you really go to law school? I have a hard time believing you even passed High School with some of the bonehead comments you make. USF will continue to sustain all sports programs. Our University pulls in a pretty decent amount of cash when compared to other Universities currently at our level. We will be in the Big Whatever until either there is a merger & renaming forming the "Best of the Rest" where we will reside until we can prove we deserve better OR Power 5 teams are poached from one another and they need a spot filled. Either way, it's not the end of the world.

this is a sports board

Tell us what you think USF should do. You clearly realize/appreciate things that we don't (or at least you believe this to be the case).

All you seem to do is remind us of how ****ty our conference position is - needlessly antagonizing us, over and over again.

You're right - this is a sports board and it should be fun. But you sure do make it hard to enjoy it.

There's nothing we can do if we don't get into a big conf. When we start hosting conf games against Tulane, Temple, ECU, Memphis, etc, there will be 25k in RayJay. Most of you seem to want to remain in denial about this? It's fine to be a die hard fan, but be realistic as well, otherwise we just come across as silly.

Who has said that attendance won't drop for those games?

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

NIU is in the Orange Bowl this year. they beat Kansas and a bunch of mid-majors.

USF will be fine in the Big Least. if the Bulls can beat a reasonable OOC opponent from the "Big 5" every year and smack the piss out of C-USA + Cinci/UConn/USF in conference they can get a big game too. this team has to win first before it can whine about the conference they're in.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

the money will dry up

this is a sports board

i am just part of the #1 plaintiff's pi firm in california

i aslo have a few outside interests

in other words i do quite well

You should honestly be disbarred and/or incarcerated for the legal implications you've run into during your "illustrious" career.

I do have fun on this board; I also like to engage in intelligent debate/discussion (which you seem to have very little experience in). Your topics for debate are Neaderthalian at best. With real brain busters like:

USF NO BIG LEAST, USF CLOSE SHOP

USF NO GOOD, USF NO WIN GAME, MINOR LEAGUES

I see us in the "Best of the Rest" Conference where will have a shot at some good bowl games if we WIN. And let's be honest here, it's not like we're running the table and whining about how we aren't given a National Title shot so who really gives a ****. Get me to a bowl game next year and keep repeating until the Power 5's go to 16. When it's time to step up, and we have a record showing we deserve to be there, we will be invited.

Edited by Hem

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

the money will dry up

this is a sports board

There's nothing we can do if we don't get into a big conf. When we start hosting conf games against Tulane, Temple, ECU, Memphis, etc, there will be 25k in RayJay. Most of you seem to want to remain in denial about this? It's fine to be a die hard fan, but be realistic as well, otherwise we just come across as silly. Anyone who thinks it's going to be business as usual is fooling themselves. Just like thinking Taggart is a long term hire vs Patrino who would leave in 2-3 years. The only reason Taggart will stay longer is if it takes him longer to make us good. As soon as we are 9-3 or 10-2 Taggart will get offers and leave just like Patrino!

I don't think anyone believes we'll be selling out games against those teams. But I consider myself a die hard fan and realistic as well. Supporting your team whether they win or lose has nothing do do with being realistic or silly.

the money will dry up

this is a sports board

I don't think anyone believes we'll be selling out games against those teams. But I consider myself a die hard fan and realistic as well. Supporting your team whether they win or lose has nothing do do with being realistic or silly.

I never said anything about supporting the team, just the comments like "well we didn't sell out at the end of 07, etc," as if this will be no different. It WILL be quite different!

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

25k people in Rayjay? Seriously? We had more than that on average during our losing season this year. I think you underestimate our fanbase and if you think fans are in denial about a large attendance, then you are in denial about what a lack of attendance this will cause. We pull in a steady mid to upper 40k when we are winning. Time will tell for sure, but I'd say at worst it's somewhere in between your lowball 25k and the high 40's.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Playing Memphis and Tulane may initially be something people want to write off but consider this:

1. If USF is winning consistently in the new conference, people will show up if we're 7-0 or 8-1, etc. At that point, we could be finishing the year with Savannah State, but if we're 10-1 or 9-2, people will want to show up, because we'll somehow be either exciting enough to put points up and win games, or exciting (maybe even ugly) enough on defense to prevent other teams from scoring. I don't care if we win half our games 10-7 or 50-43, if we have a good record, the bandwagon gets a little more full. And I'm okay with that.

2. Tulane and Memphis are terrible football programs. Right now. But this is a cyclical sport, and it wasn't but ~14 years ago Tulane went 12-0. Memphis was having 8-4 type seasons 6-7 years ago as well. Teams like Cincinnati could very well end up with a bad Tuberville tenure and go 5-7 or 4-8 a few times and end up being punching bags for a few years. Syracuse went through it. Louisville went through it. USF is going through it now. I think people are too quick to assume that we'll be playing winless Tulane and two win Memphis teams every year, when who knows that it could be a 10-1 vs 9-2 matchup of Tulane and Memphis to close the season in 2014...stranger things have happened. (I mean seriously, KENT STATE of all places almost had an Orange Bowl bid this year...)