Butch Davis

Economics_Nerd82

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Per Joe Schad Butch Davis isn't taking the FIU job.... consider me dead wrong on that one...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,487
  • Days Won:  14

He is my least favorite candidate.

Consistent .500 team at UNC. Academic issues. BLEHEhh

Edited by hm101

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

3 straight 8 win seasons. 3 straight bowl games. yes he was .500 in conference but he was just starting to turn that program around.

as for the academic issues, it has been said multiple times that he was cleared of any wrong doing by the ncaa. he isn't guilty of anything. he was fired at UNC so the school could save face, not because he did anything wrong.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

3 straight 8 win seasons. 3 straight bowl games. yes he was .500 in conference but he was just starting to turn that program around.

as for the academic issues, it has been said multiple times that he was cleared of any wrong doing by the ncaa. he isn't guilty of anything. he was fired at UNC so the school could save face, not because he did anything wrong.

Yeah, he didn't totally kick butt at UNC like he did at Miami, but he was turning around a program that had gone 16-31 in its previous 4 years before he got there.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

Realistically there's no one else that USF could get with a better resume'. The guy was the d-coordinator of an nfl dynasty, turned Miami around into one of the top teams in the nation, and turned North Carolina (a school with an absolute joke of a football team at the time) into a competitive ACC program that was nabbing top-tier recruits. Then you have all of the coaching connections this guy has throughout the nfl and college.

If you're USF and looking to go the young, up-start route, then of course Taggart is your man. But if you want to go the experienced route, then I don't know who even comes close to having the record that Davis has, and could recruit like this guy. And anyone who would exaggerate and say this guy comes with a ton of baggage would be mistaken. He inherited a recruiting scandal at Miami (much the way Golden recently did), and he was cleared at NC of having anything to do with recruiting violations.

Again, please show me someone with a better resume', that USF has a realistic shot at getting. Not out there.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

If you're USF and looking to go the young, up-start route, then of course Taggart is your man. But if you want to go the experienced route, then I don't know who even comes close to having the record that Davis has, and could recruit like this guy.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that. Its really going to depend on which direction Woolard wants to go.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

Can't go wrong with this one. Might be a short stint.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

he recruited a bunch of kids that not only cheated in academics but also accepted illegal benefits from agents. he may have been cleared but he ran a dirty program. no thanks. I may not want altar boys that holtz brought in but i don't want guys who cheat either.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  336
  • Days Won:  0

Bulls247â€@Bulls247

Butch Davis and USF meet? This is what we're hearing - http://ow.ly/fT7Ht

Edited by USoFlo

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

he recruited a bunch of kids that not only cheated in academics but also accepted illegal benefits from agents. he may have been cleared but he ran a dirty program. no thanks. I may not want altar boys that holtz brought in but i don't want guys who cheat either.

by that same notion holtz recruited guys that beat their girlfriends, and stole iphones.

how was davis to know what the kids he recruited would do behind his back? unless they were doing the same thing in highschool he would have had no idea they would do it in college.

find a person who can predict what 18-22 year olds will do in the future and USF might hire them.