The 2009 remembrance thread

AddictedToQuack

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

what was his Big East record, I believe it was under .500

25-26 with Conference USA talent.

Anyone who thinks you can go from zero and nothing in a few short years then suddenly dominate a Div. 1 conference is simply delusional.

tell that to cincy and louisville

Cincy started playing football in 1885. Played in major bowls as far back as the 40's.

Louisville started playing football in 1912, Played in major bowls as far back as the 50's and were on a 7 year bowl run and had a 20-5 record the previous 2 years before joining the Big East.

I hardly call that even remotely an apple to apples comparison.

The voice of reason cincy and loiusville played fb many years b4 usf

cincy went 6-5 and 5-7 the two years before joining big east including a loss to USF.

not sure what 1885 has to do with a programs current success. thanks for the history lesson though.I suppose harvard would be considered one of the best programs today because they are also one of the oldest.

with that reasoning we will never compete because we will never be older than those other programs. failed logic.

Honestly, I haven't been following this argument, but, Cincy's rise started with a pretty good coach, he flipped them around almost immediately. Won with multiple QB's, fired a defensive coordinator that was pretty good, just not good enough. Not sure if that point has any place here, I'm just sayin...

Anyone that thinks a university can start a football program from nothing...and I mean nothing...and immediately go on to dominate a Div I conference within their first 10 or 12 years is simply deslusional. What Leavitt did had successful football coaches like Jim Harbaugh in awe. When Harbaugh and Leavitt first met at a dinner set up by his father, Jack Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh asked Jim Leavitt,

"How did you do that?"

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Anyone who thinks you can go from zero and nothing in a few short years then suddenly dominate a Div. 1 conference is simply delusional.

Cincy started playing football in 1885. Played in major bowls as far back as the 40's.

Louisville started playing football in 1912, Played in major bowls as far back as the 50's and were on a 7 year bowl run and had a 20-5 record the previous 2 years before joining the Big East.

cincy went 6-5 and 5-7 the two years before joining big east including a loss to USF.

not sure what 1885 has to do with a programs current success. thanks for the history lesson though.I suppose harvard would be considered one of the best programs today because they are also one of the oldest.

with that reasoning we will never compete because we will never be older than those other programs. failed logic.

Honestly, I haven't been following this argument, but, Cincy's rise started with a pretty good coach, he flipped them around almost immediately. Won with multiple QB's, fired a defensive coordinator that was pretty good, just not good enough. Not sure if that point has any place here, I'm just sayin...

Anyone that thinks a university can start a football program from nothing...and I mean nothing...and immediately go on to dominate a Div I conference within their first 10 or 12 years is simply deslusional. What Leavitt did had successful football coaches like Jim Harbaugh in awe. When Harbaugh and Leavitt first met at a dinner set up by his father, Jack Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh asked Jim Leavitt,

"How did you do that?"

how did he do what?

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

You're the one that started the logic. You responded to Pete's notion that you can can't completely build a program in a decade and expect it to dominate with a "tell that to Cincy and Louisville". I was simply pointing out how incorrect that statement is. Your fault, not ours.

You're the one that started the logic. You responded to Pete's notion that you can can't completely build a program in a decade and expect it to dominate with a "tell that to Cincy and Louisville". I was simply pointing out how incorrect that statement is. Your fault, not ours.

my response was about the record with conference usa talent. louisville and cincy played with the same talent. neither of them dominated. no one expected USF to either.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,901
  • Days Won:  5

"How did you do that?"

... I'm on your side there... I was talking about our current coach. I think what Leavitt did, with very little money and zero brand recognition is absolutely remarkable. Sadly, what he spent 13 years building, Skippy is tearing apart at a rapid pace.

"How did you do that?"

... I'm on your side there... I was talking about our current coach. I think what Leavitt did, with very little money and zero brand recognition is absolutely remarkable. Sadly, what he spent 13 years building, Skippy is tearing apart at a rapid pace.

And Woolard is his co-conspirator. The damage has been done and I firmly believe there is no going back to where the Bulls were no matter who the coach is. USF will be on every school's wish list as their Homecoming date.

"How did you do that?"

And Woolard is his co-conspirator. The damage has been done and I firmly believe there is no going back to where the Bulls were no matter who the coach is. USF will be on every school's wish list as their Homecoming date.

that's moronic to think we can't get back to being a mediocre program again.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,580
  • Days Won:  2

Really? How so? Please expand on that with specifics.

PS...In 2010 Clemson was 4-4 in the ACC and ended the year 6-7. Hardly impressive.

Leavitt had peaked.... we weren't going to get any higher with him here.

Possibly, but no way of knowing that. Leavitt never got a chance to put a staff together with the same amount of money that Skip has. Leavitt never got a chance to recruit with the new practice facilities and dining hall. In his last year, he went 3-4 verse a Big East with 3 ranked teams, would have liked to see what him and his staff could have done in 2010 verse a Big East with ZERO ranked teams.

Agreed. Skips defensive coordinator this year makes more than all of Leavitts did together.

Looking up from where the team is now mediocre looks good. Being a good team like they were under Leavitt looks great.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

This game on Saturday would be in question if Leavitt was still here. The only question remaining with Skip at the helm is how many points can FSU score in the allotted 60 minutes.