Wow ND to the ACC! Now what for the BE?

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  487
  • Days Won:  0

I am betting that ND ends up signing with ABC/ESPN once their NBC deal is up. That would certainly help the BigEast when it comes to a deal with NBC.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

if anything, it could potentially help USF's stance if the Big 12 ever came calling. They would very much like that Florida foothold, and adding USF and Louisville would bridge the gap to WVU and have that FL spot. USF wouldn't have any closer games than normal, but I'd definitely jump at a chance to play with a higher quantity of "big boy" programs, and flights to Texas > flights to snowy northeast.

man how i hope that would happen lol. although i don't know how good we would be playing Texas, OK, OK State, etc year in and year out. Hell we'd be Iowa State in terms of competitiveness lol.

yes and no. i mean, we struggle as it is now with the f;cking big east and can't win the conference. i wouldn't think usf is going to be a yearly top 1-2 team in the big [actual] 12, but they would always be competitive. we'd still get to play west virginia and louisville, possibly two of USF's REAL rivalries that have been borne over the last decade. and the big money alone would be great to help with recruiting, marketing, facilities (cue OCS thread), etc. plus, getting a few poundings from real teams (and not **** teams like pitt and uconn) like oklahoma and texas will toughen this program up. either catch up or bottom feed, and i don't think usf is willing to allow themselves that option. play the better teams to be the better team.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Seriously though the argument for not being able to get rid of the basketball only schools has been "we can't do it because ND has some kind of deal with the BEast in that ND will only stay around as long as their fellow catholic schools are in it".

I think this makes the BEast stronger because we can now become a semi-real conference vs. some deranged hodge-podge conference. It would be nice to have Boise and San Diego as full members, but given the travel distance its not practical.

IF we can give the boot to the non-football schools then this is what we have:

1 USF

2 UCF

3 Houston

4 Rutgers

5 UConn

6 SMU

7 Boise State

8 San Diego State

9 Georgetown (FCS)

10 Nova (FCS)

11 Natti

12 Louisville

13 Temple

14 Navy (2015)

Hell I say give both Nova and Georgetown the option to upgrade... if they refuse then its no big deal because we still need two teams to off-set Boise and San Diego who are football only members. Then we just need to add 2 all sports teams and we will have a full conference. Would be nice to get BYU, Fresno, Nevada, UNLV, Air Force, Colorado State, or Tulane but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

UNLV and Tulane are just destination additions in that they suck, but would make for an awesome bi-annual roadie.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

Seriously though the argument for not being able to get rid of the basketball only schools has been "we can't do it because ND has some kind of deal with the BEast in that ND will only stay around as long as their fellow catholic schools are in it".

I think this makes the BEast stronger because we can now become a semi-real conference vs. some deranged hodge-podge conference. It would be nice to have Boise and San Diego as full members, but given the travel distance its not practical.

1 USF

2 UCF

3 Houston

4 Rutgers

5 UConn

6 SMU

7 Boise State

8 San Diego State

9 Georgetown (FCS)

10 Nova (FCS)

11 Natti

12 Louisville

13 Temple

14 Navy (2015)

Hell I say give both Nova and Georgetown the option to upgrade... if they refuse then its no big deal because we still need two teams to off-set Boise and San Diego who are football only members. Then we just need to add 2 all sports teams and we will have a full conference. Would be nice to get BYU and Fresno, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Adding 2 FCS schools?? .... You just negated my peer reference to CUSA and the Sunbelt ... we'd be lower.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Yeah, because bringing up two FCS schools is just what this football conference needs to be more and more like a new Conference uSA

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

1 USF

2 UCF

3 Houston

4 Rutgers

5 UConn

6 SMU

7 Boise State

8 San Diego State

9 Georgetown (FCS)

10 Nova (FCS)

11 Natti

12 Louisville

13 Temple

14 Navy (2015)

Hell I say give both Nova and Georgetown the option to upgrade... if they refuse then its no big deal because we still need two teams to off-set Boise and San Diego who are football only members. Then we just need to add 2 all sports teams and we will have a full conference. Would be nice to get BYU and Fresno, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Adding 2 FCS schools?? .... You just negated my peer reference to CUSA and the Sunbelt ... we'd be lower.

JINX

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

1 USF

2 UCF

3 Houston

4 Rutgers

5 UConn

6 SMU

7 Boise State

8 San Diego State

9 Georgetown (FCS)

10 Nova (FCS)

11 Natti

12 Louisville

13 Temple

14 Navy (2015)

We used to be just as bad as NOva and Georgetown not long ago... sure its not a sexy addition but it sure as hell beats bringing in more Sun Belt teams that don't have kickass basketball schools. It would be a band-aid move at best.

At this point we need to put all options on the table because if we lose Louisville, UConn, and Natti then we might have to beg to get back into CUSA or the Sun Belt.

Also teams are leaving because the BEast is not a real conference... the basketball schools have been dragging down this conference since day one when the conference added football.

• Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

I am sure that ESPN will also up the ante on the ACC tv deal.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,803
  • Days Won:  213

amazing how it is no big deal for the ACC to have a all sports but football member in it's fold but when that was the Big East, oh it was just terrible

this is a lateral move for ND at best. Basically the same setup except it will cost them a buttload to make some other move later on=-- they won't pay that buyout to go to the Big Ten now. ND is stuck with the ACC

they had more freedom with the BE-- they could be independent for all 12 football games. Now they have to play 5 ACC teams each season? That's confining for them.

Kind of glad we can stop worrying about this. NBC wasn't getting ND other than hoops from the Big East-- they want a league they can call their own in college football. It is up to the teams in the Big East to grow now and become something that measures up to the other conferences. I don't see it happening right away. Then again-- who knows what the next step in the football conference musical chairs will be.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

We used to be just as bad as NOva and Georgetown not long ago

Do you seriously believe what you write?

Archived